Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-13-2019, 10:16 AM

Default A big thank you and me probably rambling on

I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me down the rabbit hole, yes I'm talking about reloading. For answering my questions, ( endless questions.) for double checking my load development for me, I can not thank you all enough. And a Huge thank you to dean2 who went above and beyond in helping me, even taking the time to answer my questions in the middle of his hunting trip, much appreciation.
Yes for those wondering its for a 45-70, I love the caliber but hate the cost in stores for it. Funny part, I thought I'd save tons money reloading, sadly I think I'm now spending more, but that's due to now shooting sooooo much more, lmao. And oddly I find reloading as much fun maybe a bit more fun then shooting, find my self going out my back deck and shooting just to have emptys to reload, ( is this a common thing?) anyways just wanted to thank everyone, I truly truly appreciate all the help and on going support.. And now I think iv rambled on... Let's see covered thank yous... Check.. Covered rambling on... Check... Have a great day and weekend everyone.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

what type of rifle you loading for?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-13-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
what type of rifle you loading for?
45-70
Old 12-13-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino81 View Post
45-70
rifle?...chambered in 45-70...is it a Ruger? a Marlin....Just like to see cuz my son has a marlin GBL 45-74 and if the OP wants to share what works best if he has the similar rifle that would be beneficial cuz I plan on reloading and would like a starting point.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:19 AM

Marlin and a Henry single shot.
I found my rifles both like 405 grain bullets and Imr 3031 or imr 4046 won't say how much powder but I will say it's the trap door load in the second edition Lee reloading manual. Nether rifle like hornady 350 grain Interlock bullets. I am just useing a wack a mole Lee loader. I enjoy it. Very how do you say... Hands on. And cheap think the calipers cost as much as the whole kit. But definitely need calipers, I find the dipper for powder to be very accurate roughly 90 percent of the time right on. Other times maybe a. 5 off up or down. ( have a scale I tested tons of scoops before I started loading my first round for peace of mind. I'm not sure if that's the info you were looking for. If want more details pm me and we can talk.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:50 AM

Great to hear! Dean2 is a tremendous asset to this forum!!
Old 12-13-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrossbow View Post
Marlin and a Henry single shot.
I found my rifles both like 405 grain bullets and Imr 3031 or imr 4046 won't say how much powder but I will say it's the trap door load in the second edition Lee reloading manual. Nether rifle like hornady 350 grain Interlock bullets. I am just useing a wack a mole Lee loader. I enjoy it. Very how do you say... Hands on. And cheap think the calipers cost as much as the whole kit. But definitely need calipers, I find the dipper for powder to be very accurate roughly 90 percent of the time right on. Other times maybe a. 5 off up or down. ( have a scale I tested tons of scoops before I started loading my first round for peace of mind. I'm not sure if that's the info you were looking for. If want more details pm me and we can talk.
thx..pm'ed you...pet load for the marlin and yup not a fan of the lighter bullets...just gotta pour powder and shoot to see what she likes