Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-23-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Wolverine Sets??

Hey guys,
I went out with a friend yesterday to check his trapline we checked 40 traps and got 11 marten and 2 squirles, we found 2 marten that had been eaten by a wolverine. This is his second year trapping this line and had never had wolverine following his line before. There are about 4 on his line that he knows of (tracks).
My question is;
Can anyone offer some advice on setting up traps for these wolverine's?
Thanks
elkrub
Old 12-23-2007, 04:13 PM
jptrapper

Default Wolverine

Where abouts is the trapline? I've never gotten one on mine(in the foothills) but know a trapper in the rockies who occasionally get a wolverine in a 330 conibear-type bobcat cubby set later in the season and lower in the valley bottoms. Sometimes a touch of skunk scent near the set will get thier attention as well.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:41 PM

Default BC

The trapline is just outside Golden,BC. This is the second season he has trapped it. Last year he picked up 44 marten. What is a bobcat cubby set?
The problem here is we get so much snow, we were thinking of building something about, maybe 4ft, above the ground. Has you heard of this in deep snow?
Thanks
Old 12-23-2007, 09:52 PM

Default wolverine set

Used to trap northern alberta and caught several wolverine Been quite a while since I trapped so not even sure if legholds still legal but I would find a tree that was on an angle over a trail ( often along a creek bank where bank caves in a bit and tree partially falls in or I cut a 15ft tree and wedge it between 2 others so it angles over trail Trim branch's on treeand wire a fish or chunk of meat ( I used to like leg bone with some meat still on it with a bit of scent so that it hangs about 5 ft off ground ( dangling 5 ft off and visible) and just below tree Place a heavy snare or two up the tree in front of bait ( in case wolverine climbs onto tree) if still legal a place a # 4 right under hanging bait with strong wire attached bach to base of tree Wolferine gets fixated on the bait and will jump at it and land on trap below Caught 3 that way and lost several others that took the traps apart Don't scrimp on the strength of cable they are strong

Gord
Old 12-24-2007, 09:58 AM

PM sent...
Old 01-21-2008, 01:47 PM

In deep snow areas you might want to try a horizontal pole set. A large pole is placed horizontally between two trees. Put it up as high as you can. Most guys stand on the seat of their sled and get the pole as high as they can. Wire or nail the pole in place and hang snares on the topside. Hang a large bait right in the middle of the pole which is guarded by the multiple snares you've hung. Snares should be 4" off the pole and a 8" to 10" loop. Put a swivel on your snare or better yet put two. The wolverine will jump off the pole once he's caught and hang suspended. Make the snare long enough that the wolverine can't get back on the horizontal pole once he leaps off. You can also put a leaning pole on each end of the horizontal pole for easier access by the wolverine.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkrub View Post
Hey guys,
I went out with a friend yesterday to check his trapline we checked 40 traps and got 11 marten and 2 squirles, we found 2 marten that had been eaten by a wolverine. This is his second year trapping this line and had never had wolverine following his line before. There are about 4 on his line that he knows of (tracks).
My question is;
Can anyone offer some advice on setting up traps for these wolverine's?
Thanks
elkrub
Hey, I trap the north tompson outside Blue River B.C over the years I have trapped 7 wolverine,this year I got 4.. the deep snow does not matter if you use a cubby set cut in the side of big tree 3 feet up,stinky meat, 330 cony. Iuse 280 mag.. looking for buyers for 4. IF THEY ARE HUNGRY, THEY ARE YOURS. RANDY
Old 01-31-2008, 05:28 PM

Be careful when offering to sell your wolverines in Alberta. You cannot buy a raw fur unless you have a fur buyers permit. A solution is to get them tanned first. A nice taxidermy grade wolverine goes for $300 to $400