Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2015, 09:02 AM

Next time I am in line at Costco, if I am thinner than anyone in front of me, I will slip ahead of them in the line. I will report back with my findings.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Next time I am in line at Costco, if I am thinner than anyone in front of me, I will slip ahead of them in the line. I will report back with my findings.
Great analogy.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almer Fudd View Post
Like I said before, I don't ride M/C anymore. When I did ride I didn't split and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

My issue is the attitude that some (lots) of people have towards anyone that might.
I just don't see the reason to get "yur knickers in a knot" if someone does split lanes and pass you. Your not in a race and there's lots of empty chairs at church.
Then I guess that would apply to bikes, or are they not allowed in church and they are the ones who get to race. I'm not sure what you guys ride but my Harley bars would come awfull close to mirrors is I was to lane split. Maybe it's the general dislike for crotch rockets because those would be the majority that split both because they fit and then there's the age group that rid them, jus sayin
Old 06-07-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Great analogy.
It is unlikely I will get the chance, since I am such a fat b@#$%ard myself....
Old 06-07-2015, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So would it be a big deal to you if some cars started driving past you down the shoulder, to get around the traffic jam that you are in?
Now your just being silly, but actually it happens all the time. We know that it becomes one lane up ahead to the left, and get in left lane and wait in line, while car after car drives by us on the right so they can "butt in" at front of line.
I always tell myself that they have to get to front of line because they have the code to defuse the nuclear suitcase bomb that is about to destroy us all so of course it's important that they get where there going before a regular guy like myself.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If I am waiting in line, it does effect me. They pull around the bulk of the line up, then pull back into the lineup just before the obstruction that is causing the lineup. That slows down everyone that they pull in front of, so we all have to wait even longer.
Splitting lanes on my bike will actually speed up traffic. You just have to time it right.

I've had friends in cars tell me that my space left behind gets soaked up after I lane split. So if they have a problem with me moving around them, then don't entitle yourself to move ahead in to what used to be MY spot in line.

That is what slows traffic down, people constantly switching lanes, not splitting them.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreyer View Post
Splitting lanes on my bike will actually speed up traffic. You just have to time it right.

I've had friends in cars tell me that my space left behind gets soaked up after I lane split. So if they have a problem with me moving around them, then don't entitle yourself to move ahead in to what used to be MY spot in line.

That is what slows traffic down, people constantly switching lanes, not splitting them.
this is what I will tell the folks at Costco. By me moving in front of them at just the right time, I have actually sped up the line.....makes sense to me.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreyer View Post

It's illegal!!!!!!! What other self entitled illegal liberties do you take, buying blow makes the line up at the liquor store shorter too, your a large contributor to growing hate people have for bikes, just because you can doesn't mean you should
Old 06-07-2015, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
It is unlikely I will get the chance, since I am such a fat b@#$%ard myself....
I'll see if the gf is willing to test the theory, she's 4'11 and all of 90 pounds.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jip911 View Post
Yuppppp, this seems like a great idea to have 10 bikes doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwjL0CUPV1o on the way home....

J
Good post jip911

To me , this guy is the prime example of A-hole !!!!

Although I believe that lane splitting is generally wrong when cars are stopped at red light or construction etc , driving like this guy does in full moving traffic ,
is plain up just looking for trouble .

A lot of this video is not " lane splitting " but just plain " Dangerous Driving ", ( Stupid driving ).

Lets say for the point of discussion , that he is in the upper end of experienced riders , ... he does not know Jack S about the experience of the other drivers on the road, or how they may or will react to some a-hole weaving in and out of traffic etc.

Say, that nothing more than a minor accident is caused by his driving , and its not much more than a fender-bender , with all that traffic on that road , tell me that that's not going to start another traffic jam, and add at lot more time and stress to that already long drive , and YOU miss , not are late for , but flat out miss something that was very important to You .

Are you still going to say , that this type of driving is OK .

What if it caused a much worse accident , and not only are your wife and child(ren) not only going to be late coming home , THEY ARE NOT COMING HOME !!!

And yes , I realize that accidents happen even when everybody is driving properly , but when it's caused by someone being flat out STUPID .( or drunk ) , it's totally excusable .

So when you say , " what difference does it make if some one gets ahead of me in line , and I shouldn't let it bother me , etc." My response to that , is , well , ...quite frankly , I can't Write that on this form .

My thoughts , maybe , not yours
Old 06-07-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
This could quite easily be
the best post on AO of all time!!!
Old 06-07-2015, 12:53 PM

Two more motor cyclists bought the farm his week end, in Alberta. You ride one of these things, better do it like you've got a target on your back, cause you have. Even if you're in the right in an accident, chances are, you're still dead.

Grizz
Old 06-07-2015, 12:57 PM

Sport bikes idle just fine. They get hot, that's it.

I'm for lane splitting. I've done it extensively in Latin America and it works extremely well. Not to mention more people start to ride reducing congestion on roadways.

Alberta drivers are some of the worst. If it's not for lane splitting it's merge lane "jumpers" or side road users attempting to pass in vehicles. What's the difference? I hate driving around here and driving in other areas of N.A really shows how rude Albertan's are.

I just finished a few thousand mile trip in and around Idaho. Not a single person jumping lines, cutting me off, etc. Same with last month with a trip to Washington. People merged single file over a KM away from an accident. Ask yourself when was the last time you've seen that happen here? (I for one, have never seen it)

I've lane split here before. I'd do it more often if it wasn't for the Albertan driver who would rather see me in the hospital than getting out of their way prior to the back-up.

There are instances where motorcycles are still preferred. B.C ferries for example generally loads bikes for first exit because they know it works BETTER. I've often been one of those bikes, and also a vehicle behind them. I'm 100% fine with both situations.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:40 PM

I was changing lanes on Deerfoot and a small white car was in my blindspot....I was just pulling over and she honked at me...If there was a bike between us what do you think would of happened....Lets say I drop my water bottle and bend down to pick it up and weave over the line and a bike is there...I see this lane splitting as suicide for the bike rider
Old 06-07-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuntley12 View Post
It's rude, wait in line with the rest of us.
How so? I'd suggest it doesn't effect you at all.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
So if your stuck in traffic and a bycicle passes you, do you get all ****ed off, honk your horn, and swerve to show your disdain? Why do you care so much if its a motorbike? Your anology is misleading because that person at Costco is just going to bud in front of you and slow you down. Lane splitting is more like you slipping past someone in line at the teller because you have to go to the bathroom. The motorcycle doesn't slow you down, impede you, insult you, doesn't really affect you at all in fact. If you really think about it, it really just sounds like people taking offense are jealous that someone is getting ahead while they are stuck in traffic.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
How so? I'd suggest it doesn't effect you at all.
Yes it is....Self entitlement...cause your time is more valuable than mine...Right? you are a motor vehicle and you follow the same lanes as we do...Nuff said...

This is why Motorcycles get a bad rap and ruin it for the respectful riders out there
Old 06-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Banned

Default lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almer Fudd View Post
I've read a couple posts where guys have been frustrated with motorcycles lane splitting (driving between 2 lanes of stopped traffic on a motorcycle).

It's legal in many states and almost all of Europe. It's standard practise in every Asian city I've visited.
Filtering is where m/c split lanes and move to the front at a traffic light. It's also standard practise in many states and pretty much everywhere else in the world.

I understand it's illegal in Alberta, but what's the issue with some car/truck drivers that they get their knickers in a knot over a m/c passing them in conjestion..
Lot's of MC especially sport bikes have a real problem with extended idle and many riders dressed in leathers can suffer in hot weather breating exhaust fumes.

There are lots of weekend bikers riding sloppy cruisers that likely don't have the skill or machines to try splitting and filtering but to try and cut them off is just dumb.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Now your just being silly, but actually it happens all the time. We know that it becomes one lane up ahead to the left, and get in left lane and wait in line, while car after car drives by us on the right so they can "butt in" at front of line.
I always tell myself that they have to get to front of line because they have the code to defuse the nuclear suitcase bomb that is about to destroy us all so of course it's important that they get where there going before a regular guy like myself.

I speak from actual experience. Over the years I have been in dozens of lineups coming into the city from the plants, and it is quite common for motorcycles as well as four wheeled vehicles to pull onto the shoulder, bypass a large part of the lineup, and then pull back into the lineup, near the beginning. I actually witnessed one motorcycle rider get a face full of someone's drink , as he went by. At least he was smart enough not to stop and try to take on the people in the vehicle that it came from, or he would have been facing a mob of people that were very agitated after being in the lineup for quite some time.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo View Post
Yup...You choose to ride...Suffer the consequences...
Old 06-07-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Yes it is....Self entitlement...cause your time is more valuable than mine...Right? you are a motor vehicle and you follow the same lanes as we do...Nuff said...

This is why Motorcycles get a bad rap and ruin it for the respectful riders out there
Has nothing to do with self entitlement. Would you get upset with a cyclist passing you in gridlock? Of course not, same applies with a motorcycle, people just getting upset with others because they aren't in the same situation as you.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Has nothing to do with self entitlement. Would you get upset with a cyclist passing you in gridlock? Of course not, same applies with a motorcycle, people just getting upset with others because they aren't in the same situation as you.
Really...Bicycle running between me in traffic on Deerfoot...If a bicycle goes 120 km on deerfoot...or on any road...Motorcycle is registered as a motor vehicle...No comparison at all

Why are you self entitled to bypass all the traffic??? Just curious..Cause you have 2 wheels?
Old 06-07-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:

Would it bother you if said motorcycle rider got up earlier in the day, and got to that intersection 10 seconds before you did?
What's the difference? He can get to the front of the line before you...it doesn't impede you in any way.
And for the record, I'm not a motorcycle rider, never have been, probably never will be. But it doesn't bother me in the least if I see one able to slip past me, and say get out in front of the traffic on that green light. Doesn't impede me at all. All the power to him to get away from "crush zones".

And riding between cars, between lanes going down the deerfoot is not what this is about at all. That's a silly analogy.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Why are you self entitled to bypass all the traffic??? Just curious..Cause you have 2 wheels?
You must go berserk when all the motorcycles get to go in front of you on the Ferries then huh? You're stuck in lane 19, with a two-sailing wait, after waiting in line for an hour and a half already, meanwhile Mr Motorcyclist cruises down behind you in lane one and gets waved on before all the 4-wheel vehicles.

Is that self entitlement too?
Old 06-07-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
You must go berserk when all the motorcycles get to go in front of you on the Ferries then huh? You're stuck in lane 19, with a two-sailing wait, after waiting in line for an hour and a half already, meanwhile Mr Motorcyclist cruises down behind you in lane one and gets waved on before all the 4-wheel vehicles.

Is that self entitlement too?
Ferries....Another silly analogy EH...
Old 06-07-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Would it bother you if said motorcycle rider got up earlier in the day, and got to that intersection 10 seconds before you did?
What's the difference? He can get to the front of the line before you...it doesn't impede you in any way.
And for the record, I'm not a motorcycle rider, never have been, probably never will be. But it doesn't bother me in the least if I see one able to slip past me, and say get out in front of the traffic on that green light. Doesn't impede me at all. All the power to him to get away from "crush zones".

And riding between cars, between lanes going down the deerfoot is not what this is about at all. That's a silly analogy.
He didnt get to the intersection before me if he is coming from behind me now, would he....would be in the lanes in front of me...WOW...
Old 06-07-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Really...Bicycle running between me in traffic on Deerfoot...If a bicycle goes 120 km on deerfoot...or on any road...Motorcycle is registered as a motor vehicle...No comparison at all

As stated in my post, I was clearly talking about grid locked traffic, and as a bicycle is to follow the rules of the road, and you have no issue with them lane splitting, whats the issues with motorcycles? It would appear you have a double standard.

It must be a frusterating life taking offence at all these "self-entitled" people, when someone is speeding and passes you, seeing the guy parked in the no parking at Costco when loading his new couch, having someone go in the theater in front of you because they pre-bought their tickets, etc.

I used to have a bike and drove on the shoulder once, when traffic was stopped on Hwy 2 and I had an malfunctioning thermostat and was overheating. I was only going about 10 km/hr but some people took offense.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
He didnt get to the intersection before me if he is coming from behind me now, would he....would be in the lanes in front of me...WOW...
But that's my point. The sillyness of it. In both cases, the bike got in front of you. Either by zipping down a shoulder, or splitting a lane...or by the very virtue of the fact that he left earlier, and got to that intersection before you. In both cases, in hasn't affected you or impeded your commute one bit. He didn't get in your way. He didn't slow down your lane at all.

I do get it...I just choose not to let it bother me. In fact, more than a few times I've been sitting at a red light, a little over to one side of the lane...almost creeping onto the line. I'll notice a bike slowly coming down the shoulder passing everyone...and if I've got a couple of feet in front of me, I'll pull up and to the left, giving him room to get by me. No biggey. He zooms off and is forgotten about. I carry on like nothing happened.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
But that's my point. The sillyness of it. In both cases, the bike got in front of you. Either by zipping down a shoulder, or splitting a lane...or by the very virtue of the fact that he left earlier, and got to that intersection before you. In both cases, in hasn't affected you or impeded your commute one bit. He didn't get in your way. He didn't slow down your lane at all.

I do get it...I just choose not to let it bother me. In fact, more than a few times I've been sitting at a red light, a little over to one side of the lane...almost creeping onto the line. I'll notice a bike slowly coming down the shoulder passing everyone...and if I've got a couple of feet in front of me, I'll pull up and to the left, giving him room to get by me. No biggey. He zooms off and is forgotten about. I carry on like nothing happened.
Thats how I look at it as well.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:56 PM

Im confused as to how ferries ever got put on this board. There are designated areas against the rail on the parking deck specifically for motorcycles, which regulars vehicles cannot park for various reasons.... They generally are not taking up regular vehicle stalls (Not sure they are allowed to take regular stalls...)