Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-19-2019, 09:47 PM
Banned

Where else on this planet can one “culture” go and shoot as many animals or catch as many fish as they want?
Old 03-19-2019, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
What info is that based on? Can you share a link?
Look at page 5/8
http://albertametis.com/wp-content/u...olicy-2019.pdf
Old 03-19-2019, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Where else on this planet can one “culture” go and shoot as many animals or catch as many fish as they want?
And with a net as well
Old 03-19-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Ya, and?

As far as I’m concerned harvest “rights” are nothing more than poaching licenses. 100 years ago, sure, it’s a way of life and a means of sustaining life. Grocery stores in every community, iPhones, internet, Netflix, there is no way on earth, under any circumstance is unregulated harvesting needed or acceptable any more than a white man poaching.
In the 10 years I’ve been on this forum I don’t think I’ve read a post that I agree with more.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:58 PM
Banned

I read the report
It’s absolutely sickening
It “seems” like bighorns are not on the list of eligible animals
But mountain goats and caribou are?
Wtf comes up with this bull?

I was wrong
On another document sheep are fair game too

Last edited by marky_mark; 03-19-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Thank you
Old 03-19-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
With the population growth rate can you imagine how many unregulated hunters there will be in 20 years? Like talk about a total lack of foresight on our governments behalf. In 20 years even treaty status will mean nothing. You can’t kill what is no longer there, LOL!!!

Might as well poach now while you still have the opportunity.

That’s what it’s going to lead to. Everyone for themselves.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:18 PM

This is why there will never be equality...because there are always fringe groups who want to be more “equal” than the next guy. You all know what the Metis did for the moose in Manitoba? It’s going to happen here too.

This was a back door deal to cater to a special interest group, we all got screwed without the dinner and a movie first.

LC
Old 03-19-2019, 10:20 PM
Banned

This is nothing but social engineering only signed looking to make a mark on the way out the door by our Gov.
The 20 year remark is bang on as well.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh, I know what the court case was all about. Doesn't mean I agree with it. I also know we have the ability to disregard such rulings.
ah so it was just pure ignorance/trolling that you were going for..... It's this type of ignorance that will only make matters worst.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
ah so it was just pure ignorance/trolling that you were going for.
What's the matter R3illy, not enough room under the bridge for the two of you?

Its sickening the Time,money and frustration that goes into modern day animal conservation just to have it all thrown aside for one group. Everyone cry's equal rights until they have the upper hand.
If we want people to be treated equal, maybe we should start by treating people equal.

If we need to have special privilege in the name of tradition and sustenance. It should be only using traditional clothing,weapons and transportation while hunting the animals. So if they want to dress in buffalo robes and buckskin packing their hand carved bows on foot, no tags needed. I think this would be a truly great way of preserving heritage. If FN want to hunt like the rest of us they can put in for tags and draws just like everyone else.

By this I am in no way insinuating that the traditional way of hunting was anything short of absolutely amazing. I just think that when using modern technology we should all be given the same access to OUR resources, like equals.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
ah so it was just pure ignorance/trolling that you were going for..... It's this type of ignorance that will only make matters worst.
No, I would love for our next GOV to rip this paper up and use it for cleaning the floor of the legislature.

Honestly though, I didn't know a damn thing about this new deal. In doing my research I see you were wrong as well. Discussion about this edition of the Metis giveaway didn't start until after the NDP were put into place, not 10 years ago as you had said.

I dont understand how something this major can go by with out some sort of consultation. I never saw or heard one damn thing about it.

In reading the harvester survey, it seems the approx 70% of harvesters are either willing to drive 3 hours or any place in the province in order to be able to kill something. Does this sound like a local type thing? Or that they are hunting for food? No, this is about big game hunting when they want. They talk of Caribou, Goat and Feral horse hunting as well. No Grizz that I can see.

As well, in looking at the harvester feedback survey from the Metis nation, it seems that over 1/2 of the so called Metis out there are not recognized by the Alberta Gov. So with out knowing better, i am left to assume they are just poaching and breaking the law since 2007.

This has to come to a end. Phone your UCP candidate and find out what the hell is going on. We can not let the NDP just run crazy over our wildlife.

Reilly, whats your stake in all this? Me, It's a old battle that just crept back up on me. I have no Metis card in play here. Whats your story?
Old 03-20-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
What's the matter R3illy, not enough room under the bridge for the two of you?

Its sickening the Time,money and frustration that goes into modern day animal conservation just to have it all thrown aside for one group. Everyone cry's equal rights until they have the upper hand.
If we want people to be treated equal, maybe we should start by treating people equal.

If we need to have special privilege in the name of tradition and sustenance. It should be only using traditional clothing,weapons and transportation while hunting the animals. So if they want to dress in buffalo robes and buckskin packing their hand carved bows on foot, no tags needed. I think this would be a truly great way of preserving heritage. If FN want to hunt like the rest of us they can put in for tags and draws just like everyone else.

By this I am in no way insinuating that the traditional way of hunting was anything short of absolutely amazing. I just think that when using modern technology we should all be given the same access to OUR resources, like equals.
Great post, agree 100%

J
Old 03-20-2019, 08:08 AM

Eligible MNA citizens wishing to be identified as Métis Harvesters will be able to acquire a Métis Harvesting Identification Sticker from the MNA.
- Métis Harvesting Identification Stickers will be issued by the MNA.
- Each Métis Harvesting Identification Sticker will indicate the valid Métis Harvesting Area(s) for
each Métis Harvester.
- Each eligible Métis Harvester will need to show a pre-1900 ancestral connection to one or more
Métis Harvesting Areas.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:32 AM
Banned

@Jamie- I've heard lots about these proposed changes. There have been consultations. I actually saw a post about an Edmonton consultation here but it was deleted by the admins.

In regards to what's my stake in things?? Really nothing other then seeing proper management put into place. There are lots of legitimate gripes & concerns but peoples ignorance takes over where it turns into a yellow vest protest full of you know what tooting each others horns.

My big concern relates to the issues out east with bands who have had membership swell to 100k + people In a few years but if there are only 1100 harvesters in Alberta then maybe my concern is over blown.

I'm hoping we will hear more info on how things will be managed because that topic was vague. Will they track the number of harvesters? Is there any over sight on who gets harvesting rights Or is it all done in house??

I think the over sight is a big one for me but it looks as tho its houng to be self managed by metis nation. That in itself is partially concerning.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
No, I would love for our next GOV to rip this paper up and use it for cleaning the floor of the legislature.

Honestly though, I didn't know a damn thing about this new deal. In doing my research I see you were wrong as well. Discussion about this edition of the Metis giveaway didn't start until after the NDP were put into place, not 10 years ago as you had said.

I dont understand how something this major can go by with out some sort of consultation. I never saw or heard one damn thing about it.

In reading the harvester survey, it seems the approx 70% of harvesters are either willing to drive 3 hours or any place in the province in order to be able to kill something. Does this sound like a local type thing? Or that they are hunting for food? No, this is about big game hunting when they want. They talk of Caribou, Goat and Feral horse hunting as well. No Grizz that I can see.

As well, in looking at the harvester feedback survey from the Metis nation, it seems that over 1/2 of the so called Metis out there are not recognized by the Alberta Gov. So with out knowing better, i am left to assume they are just poaching and breaking the law since 2007.

This has to come to a end. Phone your UCP candidate and find out what the hell is going on. We can not let the NDP just run crazy over our wildlife.

Reilly, whats your stake in all this? Me, It's a old battle that just crept back up on me. I have no Metis card in play here. Whats your story?
This was/is a back door deal...Fish and Wildlife didn’t even know about it! Call their office and ask....they are all stunned by this decision. There was no public consultation period. This whole thing smells to high heaven.

I sure hope there is mandatory harvest reporting required, this needs to be under scrutiny and needs to be controlled.

LC
Old 03-20-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This is why there will never be equality...because there are always fringe groups who want to be more “equal” than the next guy. You all know what the Metis did for the moose in Manitoba? It’s going to happen here too.

This was a back door deal to cater to a special interest group, we all got screwed without the dinner and a movie first.

LC
Well Said. The most frustrating comment these groups make is that "They are stewards of the land". That is so far from the truth. I am in MB and Chartrand from the METIS federation was on CTV news a few months ago. They had a biologist on there who recommended basically shutting down moose hunting throughout the whole province. Chartrand's response was we like to eat moose meat and we won't stop. Steward of the land, yeah right! One easy way to solve this which has been mentioned, is to make every Canadian need a hunting license to hunt. But unfortunately no one in government has the b---s to do it. Five moose poached close to PINE Falls this winter. Don't know all the details but when you take out say 2 bulls and 3 cows. That's really hurting the population, which is already in trouble.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
This was/is a back door deal...Fish and Wildlife didn’t even know about it! Call their office and ask....they are all stunned by this decision. There was no public consultation period. This whole thing smells to high heaven.

I sure hope there is mandatory harvest reporting required, this needs to be under scrutiny and needs to be controlled.

LC
Better yet, it needs to be reviewed after the election, by the new government.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:

LC
There was lots of well known public consultations. The admins can dig up deleted posts that mentioned them here. If you look at metis nation of Alberta Facebook page they were also very vocal about these consultations.

Fish and wild life were well informed and aware.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:53 AM

Fish and Wildlife didn't know anything???
they should try Google
Old 03-20-2019, 10:28 AM
Banned

“Métis nation of Alberta has over 30000 members in Alberta”

“Membership in the MNA grew by almost 300% in the last decade. Clearly, more and more Métis people in Alberta recognize the benefits of MNA memberships”

A couple quotes right from their web page

I call bull sh*t that there is only 1100 people with harvesting rights
Old 03-20-2019, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
There was lots of well known public consultations. The admins can dig up deleted posts that mentioned them here. If you look at metis nation of Alberta Facebook page they were also very vocal about these consultations.

Fish and wild life were well informed and aware.
Never saw a one. Lots??? I somehow doubt that. This is all a BULL SHYT move by the NDP.

Call your local UCP candidate and get this brought up as a issue.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:41 AM
Banned

Here is a list. Find your candidate call them and ask what is going on. Don't feel like calling, make a post on their Facebook page. Feel free to report back with the responses.

https://www.albertastrongandfree.ca/candidates/

This has to stop and stop RIGHT NOW.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Never saw a one. Lots??? I somehow doubt that. This is all a BULL SHYT move by the NDP.

Call your local UCP candidate and get this brought up as a issue.
I assume the admins deleted the post that happened here for the consultations because it was related to a topic that becomes really heated.

Youll have to ask them why they thought to censure a hunting discussion that would affect everyone.

I know for myself I saw consultations posted for multiple cities across Alberta.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
In the 10 years I’ve been on this forum I don’t think I’ve read a post that I agree with more.
cant agree more
Old 03-20-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
@Jamie- I've heard lots about these proposed changes. There have been consultations. I actually saw a post about an Edmonton consultation here but it was deleted by the admins.

In regards to what's my stake in things?? Really nothing other then seeing proper management put into place. There are lots of legitimate gripes & concerns but peoples ignorance takes over where it turns into a yellow vest protest full of you know what tooting each others horns.

My big concern relates to the issues out east with bands who have had membership swell to 100k + people In a few years but if there are only 1100 harvesters in Alberta then maybe my concern is over blown.

I'm hoping we will hear more info on how things will be managed because that topic was vague. Will they track the number of harvesters? Is there any over sight on who gets harvesting rights Or is it all done in house??

I think the over sight is a big one for me but it looks as tho its houng to be self managed by metis nation. That in itself is partially concerning.

Your concern is that unregulated individual hunting rights might not have enough controls in place?

While supporting unregulated hunting rights....

You could have used this comment to prove your lineage.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-20-2019, 12:17 PM

we can only hope the moose and elk get smart and stay in private land were when some groups rights do not matter
Old 03-20-2019, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
we can only hope the moose and elk get smart and stay in private land were when some groups rights do not matter
Private land doesn’t stop them
What’s the fine for trespassing? $50?
For license purchasing hunters you lose your priveledges for a year.
What’s the consequence when your “rights” can’t be taken away?
Zero
Old 03-20-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Private land doesn’t stop them
What’s the fine for trespassing? $50?
For license purchasing hunters you lose your priveledges for a year.
What’s the consequence when your “rights” can’t be taken away?
Zero
no but I will keep them off my land and hopefully others do the same
Old 03-20-2019, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
no but I will keep them off my land and hopefully others do the same
That was one of the complaints they had. Seems private land access was a issue and they want the nation to do something about it.