Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-05-2019, 12:59 PM

Submitted 3 deer from 163 in mid November, 2 came back positive, still waiting on the third. Got the calls last week. Not impressed but that’s the way it goes.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:35 PM

I recently attended a seminar from a researcher in the U of C Prion lab. It appears there are two distinct types of CWD infections found in the deer. One works slowly, the other much quicker.
It was noted that infected tissue is not just in the brain and spinal column, but scattered throughout the tissues of the body.
No ideas yet why it is found mostly in male Mule deer.
Infections now found in Quebec, Norway and Finland.
Infections in camels.

They are using some mice for the project but have found there is an European Vole that shows symptoms much quicker, and that shortens the study cycle.

Interestingly horses, dogs and rabbits don't get sick. Perhaps man's best friend will give us some kind of clue how to slow this thing down
Old 02-05-2019, 03:57 PM

Wife's mule buck from 203 tested positive. Mature deer, looked fine decent amount of fat.
Submitted end of Nov.

Glad I just quartered and froze in a seperate freezer. Still waiting on one whitetail.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:35 PM

Default Negative!

Mulie Buck in 162. Dropped off Nov 18. Received result Feb 15.

Should be some good eatn'!

P.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:40 PM

Cow moose wmu 158 dropped off 2nd week of Nov. results today Feb 19. Negative.

Tullfan
Old 02-19-2019, 08:15 PM

158 buck that my wife shot is positive.

BC COs took the meat for me to incinterate which was nice for assisting in disposal.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:18 AM

My whitetail and mule deer buck from 234 came back positive. Dropped off nov 13 received notice Feb 15.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:40 AM

BOTH Positive?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens View Post
My whitetail and mule deer buck from 234 came back positive. Dropped off nov 13 received notice Feb 15.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:55 AM
Shooting Xs

Negative on 148 Mule Buck dropped off last week November, notice received Feb. 13.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:58 PM

Spoke with the F&W Biologist yesterday after she phoned me back at 7pm . She stated they were just starting heads from Wainwright today and through this week . One of the comments for the wait time wasn't the lack of staffing but more so the logistics of the amount of heads at certain times and the areas and the frozen state plus the way some heads were submitted.
Hopefully i get an email for negative and not a positive phone call . I think if i were to get 2 positive i would not waste any time on the base doing a cull at my expense again.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:16 AM

submitted beginning of December, got notice back today.

it did not get into the que till jan 29. negative

my buddy shot his 2 miles from where i shot mine, positive.

go figure.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
Aaaaand still waiting on Results ..Kind of frustrating for sure. Normally during these cold winter months we get together for sausage and jerky making day.
I submitted my Deer head from WMU 220 and will submit my heads no matter what zone they come from. This option is available to all of us. How can we know the spread if we have zones were not submitting from.
So update on our Deer.
My Mule Buck from WMU 220 = Negative
My sons Mule Buck from WMU 163 = Negative
My friend from BC Mule Buck WMU 163 = Positive.

All deer looked very healthy , Organs etc. So Alberta CO's contacted BC CO's and they came and cleaned out the deep freeze of all Mule Deer meat..

Not sure if its just me or more people posting here and social media but it sure seems like there is a lot of reports on Positive for CWD this year.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Not sure if its just me or more people posting here and social media but it sure seems like there is a lot of reports on Positive for CWD this year.
Really and this should not come as a surprise to anyone it will get worse .
Old 03-06-2019, 04:16 PM

Prevention. If CWD could spread to people, it would most likely be through eating of infected deer and elk. ... A negative test result does not guarantee that an individual animal is not infected with CWD, but it does make it considerably less likely and may reduce your risk of exposure to CWD.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
Prevention. If CWD could spread to people, it would most likely be through eating of infected deer and elk. ... A negative test result does not guarantee that an individual animal is not infected with CWD, but it does make it considerably less likely and may reduce your risk of exposure to CWD.
So what are you saying dam if you do dam if you don't.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:43 AM

my thoughts are that CWD has been around for long time. game farms saw higher instances of it due to the spread through saliva, faeces, urine of animals living in concentrated(crowded) pens.

my opinion is that anybody who has eaten deer for the last 30 years has probably eaten venison that has been infected with CWD. Your chances of exposure will have increased if you took your meat to a butcher. there is a high possibility that your meat was mixed with a CWD deer from an area with high CWD instances, even if you did not hunt those areas.

im basing my opinion on the fact that many have shot "healthy looking deer" that are infected. its only now with voluntary, in and in some cases, mandatory head submission, that the documented cases are increasing. it makes perfect sense as more are being tested.

if you have concerns with transmission to humans, stop hunting. thats really the only true prevention to exposure.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:30 AM

Default Cwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post

if you have concerns with transmission to humans, stop hunting. thats really the only true prevention to exposure.
X2 agreed
Old 03-09-2019, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Free CWD replacement licences no longer available

The original intent in offering replacement licences was to encourage hunters to return to areas of Alberta where CWD was first detected. However, hunter interest and harvest in the CWD area remains high and free replacement licences are no longer considered necessary.

Initially, very few harvested deer had CWD and thus very few replacement licences were offered. However, with increased prevalence and distribution of CWD, this is no longer the case.

Increasing numbers of hunters with a CWD replacement licence are creating a disproportionate harvest opportunity and advantage over those hunters who must build priority points to access a licence, particularly for antlered mule deer.

CWD occurs in pockets of localized deer, so hunters harvesting from the same small population each year are more likely to harvest an infected deer and gain access to annual free replacement licences. As the number of CWD cases increases over time, the number of replacement licences becomes disproportionate to the number of licences available to individuals who apply for draws, and limits the diversity of opportunity for broader populations of hunters who wish to have that opportunity
****ty. Understandable but ****ty.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:18 PM

Submitted my mule buck from 156 end of Nov and got my results yesterday, negative.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:32 PM

anybody get there results from wainwright yet?
Old 03-12-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
While I do agree with a lot of the other stuff in your post and think you are likely on the mark that most have likely eaten and CWD infected animals in the past, I dont agree with this statement.

The other methods of true prevention are proper handling techniques and testing before consumption. Yes a person could quit hunting, but that's not the only method of true prevention.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMPAGE View Post
anybody get there results from wainwright yet?
I asked my son if he’d heard anything, he double checked his email and voice mail, and Nada........

There are no absolutes
Old 03-13-2019, 07:39 AM

I still haven't gotten my results back from late November, I'm leaning towards a second positive CWD deer in back to back years

I called and talked to them and was informed they are getting close to the end of testing and they had received my head, this was about a week ago so I guess its just hurry up and wait.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:58 AM

This is really unacceptable turnaround time for testing 4-6 weeks I can see but this is going on 3-4 months. I would be complaining as well as talking to my MLA if I was having to wait that long. Clearly the needs of hunters ranks very low on the NDP scale of things that matter, as if that wasn't already very clear..
Old 03-13-2019, 10:59 AM

Default still waiting

On my 2 deer from the first rifle season at wainwright.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:45 PM

Just got my result from a mule deer buck in wainwright. Tested negative.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:41 PM

Just got my wifes result from her bull moose. First day of Wainwright muzzleloader. Negative
Old 03-14-2019, 04:49 PM

Scroll down to .....

How is CWD diagnosed........

Is there more to this than what we are hearing ?

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/.../1330190096558
Old 03-14-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
This is really unacceptable turnaround time for testing 4-6 weeks I can see but this is going on 3-4 months. I would be complaining as well as talking to my MLA if I was having to wait that long. Clearly the needs of hunters ranks very low on the NDP scale of things that matter, as if that wasn't already very clear..
I’m sure there’ll be another half a dozen or so mandatory submission zones next year again so I assume the wait time will only get longer.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:40 PM

I had random survey on CWD sent to me recently. It was at least 30 mins long.
It was through Lethbridge University i believe. They were asking questions that referenced to being rewarded to shooting more Deer in the CWD hot zones for Mule Deer.