Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-30-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
She’s here to stay boys. If you ain’t going to eat it. Don’t shoot it.
So only people who are willing to eat CWD infected meat should hunt in those wmu's?

Seems like a good idea, build the population up.

I don't think hunters are going to stop the spread of CWD but I think every host animal that gets killed is a good thing.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:35 PM

Is anyone getting Camp Wainwright results? I shot mine week 1 primitive on Nov 30 and haven’t heard anything yet. That’s 8 weeks today
Old 01-30-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Does anyone know if they use their regular staff for this testing?..or farm some out?, like hiring U of A Biology students for evenings and weekends or something?, just wondering. 2+ months waiting is a little long it seems and yet there are certain skills required in the procedure I would assume that would require some knowledge
I have had testing done in another province and within 48 hrs recieved a call, positive or negative !
Old 01-30-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Is anyone getting Camp Wainwright results? I shot mine week 1 primitive on Nov 30 and haven’t heard anything yet. That’s 8 weeks today
I have already posted this but once again the Camp Wx results will be the last as they are the last hunt and they are all lumped together. I wouldn't expect anything for a few more weeks at the earliest. I believe last year some weren't receive until the end of Feb or early March.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:45 PM

Default Cwd

The system does work-it's as slow as hell-but it's better than nothing. Just got results back on a W/T and a moose...both OK,,,, Start the grill!!!
Old 01-30-2019, 10:49 PM

Default CWD results

We got both our deer results back, negative, mid November kills!
Old 01-31-2019, 06:51 AM

Still waiting for results on a deer I submitted on November 21.

Craig
Old 01-31-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeham View Post
The butcher is in a mandatory zone. It’s full of pre-test animals.
that's just wrong who would pay for animal to get cut wrapped processed and then not eat it plus from what I've read There is cross-contamination just doesn't seem right
Old 01-31-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
that's just wrong who would pay for animal to get cut wrapped processed and then not eat it plus from what I've read There is cross-contamination just doesn't seem right
I agree totally ,if the butcher is processing pretested meat and they are lumped in to one processor for mixing and sausage etc ,all batches are infected whether they are positive or not > If any of you believe the butcher only processes your meat only !! you are very wrong and confused ,some may tell you they do this but unless you are personal friends with this butcher ,YOU ARE WRONG
Old 01-31-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
I agree totally ,if the butcher is processing pretested meat and they are lumped in to one processor for mixing and sausage etc ,all batches are infected whether they are positive or not > If any of you believe the butcher only processes your meat only !! you are very wrong and confused ,some may tell you they do this but unless you are personal friends with this butcher ,YOU ARE WRONG
I would never have sausage, Jerky etc made at a butcher that processes wild game for just that reason.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
The very first time we had a positive animal, was actually a buddies deer, we were naive. We butchered our deer, shot from the same herd, and combined our trim for sausage. Had sausage made not thinking much about it...couple months later, get a positive on his deer and an “inconclusive” on mine. $250 dollars in sausage wasted! That’s when it dawned on us...we need to change how we do things in these areas. This was way back in the start of the CWD testing and issues, so we were naive to the process and precautions.

LC
Old 01-31-2019, 12:07 PM

Question Testing

Just back in town after 5 weeks away and have got my results for a WT Buck shot out east early Nov and submitted around the Nov 10 in Calgary South the results were negative but the interesting thing is the date submitted is recorded as Dec 18th with results back on Jan 15 So the head sat in a freezer for over a month before being picked up or at least recorded as received for testing and then another month for results..... Hmmmmm
Old 01-31-2019, 04:46 PM

Just got my results from my elk head submitted on January 8 from suffield
It was negative
Old 01-31-2019, 05:11 PM

Just got the results on my Muley Buck, negative. What a relief. Can’t wait to cook it up now.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:47 PM

WMU 202 whitetail buck. Negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2019, 07:59 PM

Just got back the results from my Jan 14th Suffield hunt, both negative Wasn't expecting this quick...
Old 01-31-2019, 08:10 PM

FYI : Unfortunately some of the earlier ones got buried in our freezers. Early heads went into yellow bags and we are on the lookout for them. They get priority once we find them.*

My results came back last week. Negative on my WT from 510.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2019, 09:12 PM

Default CWD ...Still waiting for results

Father in law’s 202 mule buck negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2019, 11:52 PM

Maybe you folks waiting for results should start harping at your elected representatives for answers.

Nora Loreto 6:49 PM 8 Apr. 2018
Old 02-01-2019, 05:18 AM

Got my results back yesterday on my Whitetail buck I submitted Nov 22. Negative. It must have spent a few weeks in the freezer before it was picked up, email said submission date was Dec 13.

Craig
Old 02-01-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1 View Post
FYI : Unfortunately some of the earlier ones got buried in our freezers. Early heads went into yellow bags and we are on the lookout for them. They get priority once we find them.*

My results came back last week. Negative on my WT from 510.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I am just wondering why you would submit a WT head from 510?
Old 02-01-2019, 10:03 AM

Default Cwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
In 2002 CWD was found in an elk on a northern Alberta game farm.
In 2002 CWD was found in a whitetail deer on a game farm north of Edmonton.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:46 AM

Aaaaand still waiting on Results ..Kind of frustrating for sure. Normally during these cold winter months we get together for sausage and jerky making day.
I submitted my Deer head from WMU 220 and will submit my heads no matter what zone they come from. This option is available to all of us. How can we know the spread if we have zones were not submitting from.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
Just backs the system up
Old 02-02-2019, 11:40 AM

You are able to call them. I just googled an office number and they got back to me. Said they have received my submission and are just getting to the ones that were dropped off late November
Old 02-02-2019, 11:59 AM

Waiting for mine still as well 232 dropped off first week of December - want to make some jerky!!!

Alba gu brath!
Old 02-04-2019, 09:28 PM

Took mine in after season. I got the results back in a little more than two weeks. I guess I missed the rush.

It was from one of the newly added mandatory zones so maybe it had priority??
Old 02-04-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Just backs the system up
Testing from areas outside of mandatory submission units offers invaluable information, and peace of mind for those consuming the animal.

---------

From the recent update, CWD prevalence is continuing to rise this year.
Male Mule deer average infection rate of tested animals is now 1/6...

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...s/default.aspx

Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) Surveillance Update: January 7, 2019

The 2018 to 2019 program for monitoring CWD in wild cervids is well under way. We detected our first case from the 2018 hunting seasons in early October and things took off from there.

To date we tested over 2300 heads and detected CWD in 147 deer, primarily mule deer males, as well as in one cow elk (preliminary overall prevalence, approximately 6.5%).

The great majority of infected deer came from areas in eastern and east central Alberta in primary watersheds where the disease continues to occur. However, CWD was detected in WMU 252 (north of Mundare) for the first time.
The total number of CWD cases detected in wild deer in Alberta since September 2005 is 1067.
Annually Alberta tests at least 6000 heads for CWD so testing is just getting started. Testing was suspended across the holidays but began again in early January. Heads currently being tested generally were received in the 2nd and 3rd week of November. It is estimated over 3500 more heads will be tested in this year’s program.
Note that most of the head drop-off freezers were removed in December. Any remaining freezers will be removed in early to mid-January. However, hunters can still drop off heads at any Fish and Wildlife office. For further information, see:

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 02-05-2019, 04:24 AM

Quote:
CWD was detected in WMU 252 (north of Mundare) for the first time
That's too bad that was some prime deer country back in the day for me .
Old 02-05-2019, 07:52 AM
Banned

Why don’t we test all deer than?

Testing a handful of animals from zones that are part of a completely different watershed do not tell much
I understand piece of mind, but there is already a buffer zone included in the test area

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Testing from areas outside of mandatory submission units offers invaluable information, and peace of mind for those consuming the animal.

---------

From the recent update, CWD prevalence is continuing to rise this year.
Male Mule deer average infection rate of tested animals is now 1/6...

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...s/default.aspx

Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) Surveillance Update: January 7, 2019

The 2018 to 2019 program for monitoring CWD in wild cervids is well under way. We detected our first case from the 2018 hunting seasons in early October and things took off from there.

To date we tested over 2300 heads and detected CWD in 147 deer, primarily mule deer males, as well as in one cow elk (preliminary overall prevalence, approximately 6.5%).

The great majority of infected deer came from areas in eastern and east central Alberta in primary watersheds where the disease continues to occur. However, CWD was detected in WMU 252 (north of Mundare) for the first time.
The total number of CWD cases detected in wild deer in Alberta since September 2005 is 1067.
Annually Alberta tests at least 6000 heads for CWD so testing is just getting started. Testing was suspended across the holidays but began again in early January. Heads currently being tested generally were received in the 2nd and 3rd week of November. It is estimated over 3500 more heads will be tested in this year’s program.
Note that most of the head drop-off freezers were removed in December. Any remaining freezers will be removed in early to mid-January. However, hunters can still drop off heads at any Fish and Wildlife office. For further information, see: