Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-21-2019, 07:48 AM

Default Regulation Clarification

Hey guys;

Just looking to clear up a couple questions about the regs;
  1. The regs state that one is not to discharge a firearm within one half hour before sunrise, and one half hour after sunset - when it says firearm is it included bows in this definition? I am aware firearm normally is only explosive-propelled weapons, but sometimes they mix others in as well.
  2. Having read over the Parks regs, would it be correct to assume if I were to go camping in a Parks Canada park (i.e Jasper), and go out day hunting, I am not allowed to return with a kill to consume within my campsite?

Thanks;

PrpleWlf
Old 03-21-2019, 07:59 AM

If the regulations specify firearm, then the regulation applies to firearms, if it specifies weapon, bows would be included.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:04 AM
Banned

Your not allowed to hunt any wildlife or discharge a firearm during that time period. I’m sure you can practice with your bow but you might loose a bunch of arrows.

As for the other question
There’s an active post on this topic. They don’t like weapons in national parks. I’m sure it’s clearly stated in the parks act. Basically, your asking for trouble if your planning to base camp your hunt out of jasper

Also remember that the regs isn’t the wildlife act
Old 03-21-2019, 08:10 AM

While the Hunting Guide explains some regulations, this is the actual legislation, and there are things that are not included in the Hunting Guide. You should at least read parts 4,5 and 6. Of course you also need to obey the other acts as well.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/w10.pdf
Old 03-21-2019, 08:16 AM

Those regs are to streamline your Banff national park hunts. The folks at parks Canada dont want you waking up tourists in the wee hours so if you see a nice
7x7 shoot it with your bow so you don't wake anybody up. Give the friends at parks at shout and they will probably come out and help you get it loaded in your vehicle before sun up.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:22 AM

National Parks
Hunting is prohibited in national parks, and hunters should be especially
careful about their locations when hunting near park boundaries. Firearms
are prohibited in national parks except on through highways and in town
sites where they must be unloaded and encased.

Game Bird
It is unlawful to
1. possess, before it has been transported to the usual residence of the
person who killed it or is prepared for immediate cooking, a game bird
which does not bear evidence of sex and species.

Big Game
1. the carcass is delivered to a premises in respect of which
there is a Food Establishment Permit issued under the
Public Health Act or Licence for the Operation of an
Abattoir issued under the Meat Inspection Act, or
2. the carcass is cut up and packaged for consumption at:
- the usual residence of the person who killed the animal, or
- the usual residence (a residence that is neither a business
premises nor attached to such a premises) of a resident of
Alberta and that resident is in attendance.

In summary, my opinion only, you are opening yourself to potential litigation.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:24 AM

Hey everyone;

Thanks for all the great answers!

I want to clear up a couple of things, as perhaps I may have...caused some confusion?

a) I realise that in certain areas (and most commonly) firearms are explosive-propelled weapons which cause a projectile to be launched using a substance such as gun powder (common verbiage; guns). However in some cases, firearms are used to classify any projectile based weapon (i.e. RCMP regs include crossbows as firearms). Was just hoping to clear up whether bows were included in this definition or not!

b) In regards to the camping/hunting experience; hunting would be done outside of the national park, in approved ACA hunting locations (day trips outside the park, bringing back any game meat). However, I think based on the discrepancy with the regulations around the carcass and residence (as per Big Game regulations), this may be something I just avoid!

Thanks again for all your help;

PrpleWlf
Old 03-21-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrpleWlf View Post
Hey everyone;

Thanks for all the great answers!

I want to clear up a couple of things, as perhaps I may have...caused some confusion?

a) I realise that in certain areas (and most commonly) firearms are explosive-propelled weapons which cause a projectile to be launched using a substance such as gun powder (common verbiage; guns). However in some cases, firearms are used to classify any projectile based weapon (i.e. RCMP regs include crossbows as firearms). Was just hoping to clear up whether bows were included in this definition or not!

b) In regards to the camping/hunting experience; hunting would be done outside of the national park, in approved ACA hunting locations (day trips outside the park, bringing back any game meat). However, I think based on the discrepancy with the regulations around the carcass and residence (as per Big Game regulations), this may be something I just avoid!

Thanks again for all your help;

PrpleWlf
Perhaps you should look up the definition of a firearm according to the Firearms Act, because you apparently don't understand what constitutes a firearm in Canada.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Perhaps you should look up the definition of a firearm according to the Firearms Act, because you apparently don't understand what constitutes a firearm in Canada.
Thank you for your response. It was highly helpful.

This post has been edited due to a previously inappropriate response.

Thanks;

PrpleWlf

Last edited by PrpleWlf; 03-21-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
"Q4. What is considered to be a firearm for purposes of the Firearms Act and for offences related to the Firearms Act in the Criminal Code?

A4. As set out in section 2 of the Criminal Code, "firearm" means:

a barrelled weapon from which any shot, bullet or other projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person, and includes
any frame or receiver of such a barrelled weapon, as well as
anything that can be adapted for use as a firearm.

Following are some weapons and devices that meet the definition of a firearm but that are deemed not to be firearms for purposes of the Firearms Act and related offences in the Criminal Code. Some of these items are exempted from the definition only if they were designed exclusively for a specific purpose and are intended to be used exclusively for that purpose by the person who possesses it. However, all of the items listed below are considered to be firearms if used in a criminal or negligent manner.

Antique firearms;
Devices designed exclusively for signalling, for notifying of distress, for firing blank cartridges or for firing stud cartridges, explosive-driven rivets or other industrial projectiles;
Shooting devices designed exclusively for slaughtering domestic animals, tranquilizing animals, or discharging projectiles with lines attached to them;
Air guns and other barreled weapons designed to have:
A muzzle velocity of 152.4 meters per second or less and/or
A muzzle energy of 5.7 joules or less."

From my legal experience working alongside the RCMP, an adjusted crossbow, or compound bow which can be used to fire a projectile, can also constitute as a firearm under the Criminal Code of Canada.

Thanks;

PrpleWlf
Crossbows, that exceed a certain size, and that require two hands to operate , and regular hand drawn and held bows, do not require any licensing or qualifications , and are exempt from the safe storage and transport requirements. They also are exempt from Wildlife Act regulations that specify firearms.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Crossbows, that exceed a certain size, and that require two hands to operate , and regular hand drawn and held bows, do not require any licensing or qualifications , and are exempt from the safe storage and transport requirements. They also are exempt from Wildlife Act regulations that specify firearms.
Thank you again for your response.

PrpleWlf
Old 03-21-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Hey guys;

Just looking to clear up a couple questions about the regs;
  1. The regs state that one is not to discharge a firearm within one half hour before sunrise, and one half hour after sunset - when it says firearm is it included bows in this definition? I am aware firearm normally is only explosive-propelled weapons, but sometimes they mix others in as well.
  2. Having read over the Parks regs, would it be correct to assume if I were to go camping in a Parks Canada park (i.e Jasper), and go out day hunting, I am not allowed to return with a kill to consume within my campsite?

Thanks;

PrpleWlf
The actual law is

Hunting at night

28 A person shall not hunt wildlife, except by trapping, during the period commencing at 1/2 hour after sunset and ending at 1/2 hour before sunrise the following day.

and

Discharge of firearm at night

53 Except at a lawfully established and operated shooting range, a person shall not discharge a firearm during the period referred to in section 28.

So no a bow does not meet the criteria for discharge of a firearm at night. Unless local bylaws or other laws (Provincial Parks Act) define a bow as a firearm and would only pertain to the local laws or PPA, not the Wildlife Act
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
The actual law is

Hunting at night

28 A person shall not hunt wildlife, except by trapping, during the period commencing at 1/2 hour after sunset and ending at 1/2 hour before sunrise the following day.

and

Discharge of firearm at night

53 Except at a lawfully established and operated shooting range, a person shall not discharge a firearm during the period referred to in section 28.

So no a bow does not meet the criteria for discharge of a firearm at night. Unless local bylaws or other laws (Provincial Parks Act) define a bow as a firearm and would only pertain to the local laws or PPA, not the Wildlife Act
Thanks! This was extremely helpful!

PrpleWlf