Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-10-2016, 08:46 PM

Default Bow Dilemma

Well with the new bows coming out this year I'm in a tough spot.... which way to go? Last year I bought a Prodigy in 60lbs, first year shooting bow and the thing was/is awesome but as I began hunting with others and shooting further distances i knew I wanted to step up the poundage. I inquired wit Jimbows about upgrading my limbs to 70lb limbs. I then hunted with a friend that had a Hoyt in carbon and I was really liking how light it felt and after putting on 10km a day in the bush I can see the benefit of those carbon bows.

Is Hoyt changing anything on the Carbon Defiant this year? I know they came out with the Pro Defiant this year but thats just an aluminum riser, correct? How about the carbon bows from Bowtech? or should I simply just upgrade to the 70lb limbs on the Prodigy?

thanks!
Old 11-10-2016, 09:23 PM

Default Used Carbon spyder

Another option may be abused Hoyt carbon spider. I just got one used and mostly kitted out for half the price of new. The Z5 cam is supposed to he one of the best ever and I have to admit I love the draw cycle.

The current bows from Hoyt are poorly reviewed compared to the old ones. One of the reasons I bought the spyder over a new one.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:13 PM

No changes to the Carbon Defiant this year, only the Aluminum Defiant has received a face lift.

They are great bows, I hunted with the turbo version this fall and attended a couple of shoots as well. It's performance is second to none. If you are looking for a carbon riser bow, Hoyt really does set the bar.

If you like your current bow; upgrading the limbs is a very economical and pain free option.

Norm
Old 11-11-2016, 09:21 AM

Another thing to consider: Its always good to have two bows ready to go. What happens if you pop a string, limb cracks, etc? You get to waste hunting days messing with equipment and/or getting used to a new setup, which will limit your effectiveness.

When I was in the same position, I went out and got what I wanted in a 70 lb bow. The 60 lb back up sits ready to go in a moments notice.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:10 PM

All good ideas, thanks guys!
Old 11-23-2016, 10:22 PM

Good opportunity to to get some Gordon glass limbs for the blowtech!
Old 11-24-2016, 12:25 AM

You could just keep your 1 year old bow!

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A112 using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2016, 09:32 AM

not sure how many bows you have tried out there but it would be best to try as many different ones you can so you can feel the difference between the bows you like ... the carbon bows are nice I have tried them as for weight difference there really isn't that much. carbon 3.2 where an aluminum one is 4 you will get used to it ... I look at how aggressive the cams are after shooting a rpm for a year now going to an APA with the same spec way nicer to pull and its not hurting my shoulder...
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff