Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-08-2024, 03:03 PM

Default Rings and bases for Tikka

Good day all, I would like to upgrade my rings and bases on my Tikka T3. I currently have the Basic weaver steel rings and bases. In your opinion is there a need to go to the fancy brands? If yes, what are the benefits? I am mounting a Swaro Z3 if that makes a difference.
Thanks.
Old 03-08-2024, 03:17 PM

The Talley Lightweights have become my go to rings for Tikka. I have no use for the old weaver rings with two screws on one side, and none on the other, they are miserable for leveling the scope reticle, because they twist the scope as you tighten the screws.
Old 03-08-2024, 03:20 PM

Thank you Elk.
Old 03-08-2024, 03:51 PM

I've got a NEAR Alphamount and rail on my 204, and the Talleys on my 7mm-08.

I love the NEAR, it's a work of art that's machined to incredibly tight tolerances and Richard was awesome to deal with, but at almost 10X the cost of the Talley's, I'm not sure it's "worth it" for the average shooter, especially on a hunting rifle. If money is no object, or you value having the highest quality, I would fully endorse the NEAR Alphamounts.

The Talleys are super light, very solid, and really high quality. It's hard to go wrong with them, and when you consider their price point, they're extra hard to beat.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:00 PM

Swaro have really thin metal in the body. That is why they are so light. They are really easy to damage or mark and swaro will not warranty scope adjustment issues if you have damaged the scope body. That is one scope where using the Burris Signature Zee rings or Sako rings with the plastic inserts is well worth the price you pay for them. I have a Z5 in Tally one piece rings on my NULA in 308 but I was very careful not to overtorque the rings.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:08 PM

I have mounted at least 7-8 Swarovski Z3 and Z5 scopes in Talley Lightweights without issue, but I am very careful to check alignment and I don't overtorque the ring screws.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:35 AM

Another vote for the Talley rings. Cost effective, light weight, aesthetically pleasing and easy to come by. Have them on a 30-06 with no problems or complaints.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:57 AM

Default Another vote for Talleys.

I’ll give another vote for Talley Lightweights on a Tikka. For the price and strength to weight ratio they are tough to beat. If you remember a while back a lot of high end accuracy rifle custom makers were using Talleys on their builds - Gunwerks and Rifles Inc. come to mind. Now there are other options - more expensive but I’m not convinced any better.
Prophet River usually has a huge Talley selection.

As for the NEAR mounts - pure works of art and machining but with having over 4 dozen long arms I cannot put them on everything as they cost a lot more. I put those on the big boomers/working guns like the Weatherbys.

Cheers
Max
Old 03-09-2024, 09:18 AM

I would also add to go with the lows or extra lows in the Talleys, do not go medium. I like the lows but lots of guys go extra low.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
I would also add to go with the lows or extra lows in the Talleys, do not go medium. I like the lows but lots of guys go extra low.
I use medium on most actions, but the Tikka receiver is a lot thicker than most receivers, because of the dovetail, so I like low on a Tikka.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:54 PM

Lots of guys on rokslide like the sportsmatch rings or the unknown munition rings on their tikkas.
Old 03-10-2024, 02:25 PM

I put Talley light weight on my Tikka T3 .243 with my Leupold FX3 6x42 LR. This is the one that had the weavers on.
I am not sure what rings are on the Tikka T3 7mm-08 I bought used, but that is the one I will put the Swarovski on.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:16 PM

I am a huge fan of the Burris Zee rings with inserts. They hold the scope without issue and don’t damage the scope and they’re steel and don’t break or strip and imo they’re the best for a hunting rifle. The Sako Optilock would also fit on your tikka but they’re a lot more expensive
Old 03-13-2024, 06:23 AM

I have an Alpha mount currently on my Tikka. I like it so far. I have had Talley and the Leupold back country rings also. The Leupolds were almost identical to the Talleys just a bit more refined, and 3 times the price. All worked well.

Tullfan
Old 03-14-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have mounted at least 7-8 Swarovski Z3 and Z5 scopes in Talley Lightweights without issue, but I am very careful to check alignment and I don't overtorque the ring screws.
I have the same set up on kimber mountain ascent and works great
Old 03-14-2024, 02:54 PM

I like using one piece rings. I use talley and leupold one piece. I believe less screws, less issues.