Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-03-2024, 05:55 PM

Default Large Rifle Primers when will they be back?

Anyone have any insight on when Large Rifle primers will be available again?I see there are some unknown to me brands that can be found online, but hoping to see some CCI brand.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2024, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post
Anyone have any insight on when Large Rifle primers will be available again?I see there are some unknown to me brands that can be found online, but hoping to see some CCI brand.

Thanks
The ones you can buy now, even if you haven't heard of them, work just fine. Buy some and try them, sure you will find it is better than waiting for stuff that may not show up for years.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:17 PM

If I really needed primers, I wouldn't hesitate to buy RWS primers, their ammunition/components are good quality.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:53 PM

Thanks, I will give them a try.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post

Thanks
There was a guy selling some at the Provost gun show today for $400/brick...

Scary part was it was a WAY better deal then the guy selling RWS brand ones's for $100/sleeve...
Old 03-03-2024, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
There was a guy selling some at the Provost gun show today for $400/brick...

Scary part was it was a WAY better deal then the guy selling RWS brand ones's for $100/sleeve...
Can't say they are that high of prices but a few weeks ago I saw a dealer price sheet on a new batch of primers he had in and holy smokes I just about passed out!

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 03-04-2024, 06:42 AM

Default Clay at

Prophet River has some RWS LR mag primers in PDQ
Old 03-04-2024, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Can't say they are that high of prices but a few weeks ago I saw a dealer price sheet on a new batch of primers he had in and holy smokes I just about passed out!
People are just going to have to get used to the idea, that the days of $50/ 1000 primers, and $30/lb powder are long over. Then again, so are the days of buying centerfire hunting loads for $30/box. Supplies of components should return to somewhat normal levels eventually, but the new normal for components will be much higher.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:57 AM

Spoke to a guy at cabelas other day, he said they had some on the website for about 2 hours about a week back.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
People are just going to have to get used to the idea, that the days of $50/ 1000 primers, and $30/lb powder are long over. Then again, so are the days of buying centerfire hunting loads for $30/box. Supplies of components should return to somewhat normal levels eventually, but the new normal for components will be much higher.
I can handle the $20/sleeve prices. Its the guys selling them for $100/sleeve that are getting stupid, but I guess thats supply and demand for you. Glad I'm not desperate for any...
Old 03-04-2024, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
I can handle the $20/sleeve prices. Its the guys selling them for $100/sleeve that are getting stupid, but I guess thats supply and demand for you. Glad I'm not desperate for any...
They can only get $100/100, if people buy them. I will never buy rifle primers again, but I use 5000 shotshell primers every year, so I keep a couple of years supply on hand, and buy when I find supply as long as it isn't totally
unreasonable.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:00 AM

I can't comprehend the costs in Canada. So glad I stocked up on components before I moved back. Prices might have gone up 5-10% south of the border.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:48 AM

Remember the scalpers and re-sellers prices are set by the buyers, if people don't pay stupid prices they will have to lower the price or sit on them, there are always going to be opportunists that try to take advantage of the market in times of shortages, history will show us that.

The retail prices are dictated by the manufacturer, the wholesaler the freight company and the govn't duties and taxes plus of course the retailers profit margins and I don't see these going down any time soon so expect to pay up to $25 / 100 give or take.

Those that did not see this coming 3 or 4 years ago and stock up are now at the mercy of retailers that have very limited and sporadic supply or scalpers at double or triple the retail price, and very little change in sight.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.