Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-18-2021, 11:02 AM

Default Peep sight on 30-06 anyone?

So looking for some thoughts... I rather like iron sights. I also like scopes....I have a whole bunch of scoped hunting rifles( bolt action) I have a few iron sighted rifles ( levers and a mk4 no1*) I have 2 308s and a 30-06 among my bolt action hunting rigs. I have in my parts bin a low pro skinner peep and assortment of different height front sights. I'm considering removing the scope from the 30-06 and installing the low pro and running it with peeps only... issue is the bases are tapped 6x40 and my low pro is p 8-40...no biggie I've got a tap on hand... just wondering if I should....the rifle is an old Midland with barrel mounted sights...i prefer peeps.... i don't think the rifle has much value ( likely less than 400$) I'd imagine....i figure opening them up to 8-40 then if i ever wanted i could still install the bases....anyone on here hunt with a bolt action peep sighted rifle?? Or should i just leave well enough alone...just got an itch I kinda want to scratch....
Old 10-18-2021, 11:33 AM

I like peep sights. Lever guns make great peep sight candidates. Marlin 45-70, Winchester 94s etc. I had a peep on a couple of bolt action rifles but realistically the peep limits your range to about 250 yards, not because you can't shoot them accurately further but that was my set limit on game with them. At those ranges there was no drawback to the lever cartridges and the lever rifle were slick handling rigs. Great reason to get another gun.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I like peep sights. Lever guns make great peep sight candidates. Marlin 45-70, Winchester 94s etc. I had a peep on a couple of bolt action rifles but realistically the peep limits your range to about 250 yards, not because you can't shoot them accurately further but that was my set limit on game with them. At those ranges there was no drawback to the lever cartridges and the lever rifle were slick handling rigs. Great reason to get another gun.

I have 3 lever guns set up with peeps as well as my mk4 no1. I was out Sunday still hunting and chose to carry my 30-06...it started snowing hard and I had no caps on the scope. It was a really wet heavy rain/snow..so I removed the scope and continued using the barrel mounted sights....kinda liked it...way prefer peeps though so it got my mind spinning....
Old 10-18-2021, 11:51 AM

It's probably ridiculous but IMO rifles are way nicer to carry without a scope lol.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:15 PM

I agree. The peeps I had on my bolt actions and on one 375 Winchester are the Williams adjustable. They also make a peep that will go in the rear sight dovetail on the barrel so you can use the scope or the peep. Lyman still makes a bunch of peep sights too.

Old 10-18-2021, 12:40 PM

I don't know much about peeps but, would finding a sight with the same screws to match your rifle be an option?
Old 10-18-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I agree. The peeps I had on my bolt actions and on one 375 Winchester are the Williams adjustable. They also make a peep that will go in the rear sight dovetail on the barrel so you can use the scope or the peep. Lyman still makes a bunch of peep sights too.

Thanks dean. I have a set of peeps that fit on the weaver rail but it would require a crazy high front sight. I'll maybe look at the marbles peep rear dovetail sight.i know they are in expensive..might be the best way to go
Old 10-19-2021, 08:26 PM

I put Skinner Lo Pro sights on my Krico 30-06 20" bbl. Best heavy cover rifle I could ever hope to pack and point . Only use 220 gr Woodleigh RN with the Ghost ring .

I would highly reccomend you tap the receiver for the larger screw if you go the LoPro direction.

Last edited by Salavee; 10-19-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
I put Skinner Lo Pro sights on my Krico 30-06 20" bbl. Best heavy cover rifle I could ever hope to pack and point . Only use 220 gr Woodleigh RN with the Ghost ring .

I would highly reccomend you tap the receiver for the larger screw if you go the LoPro direction.
Yah I'm kinda thinking I should...I already have a marlin dark 45-70 w ghost ring ( currently a red dot) and a 336 30-30 w full buckhorn & firesight front bead that are my usual go to for tight bush hunting. And I have a mk4no1 that has an 18.5" barrel and flip peeps regulated to 100 and 200...( i don't love carrying this rifle because of the 10rd mag) but a bolt action w really usable irons set up is on my itch to scratch list....most of my " hunting" class rifles have backup irons on them but truthfully the std open notch rear sights don't work as well for me.

I like open sight hunting for much of the huntung I have been doing the last few years....funny how things can change....use to be all about long shots and higher magnification....still have a couple rifles set up for this...last number of years it's about getting in close and hunting heavier timber...still love shooting long range w scoped guns but also have started pushing limits with the irons...never stagnant in the shooting sports lol

Last edited by obsessed1; 10-20-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:28 PM

Not quite flush fit for 303 but better than the tens.

https://riflemags.co.uk/lee-enfield-...=Lee%20Enfield
Old 10-23-2021, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Not quite flush fit for 303 but better than the tens.

https://riflemags.co.uk/lee-enfield-...=Lee%20Enfield

I have looked into getting one of these but whenever I have the $$ they are always out of stock lol
Old 10-24-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Yah I'm kinda thinking I should...I already have a marlin dark 45-70 w ghost ring ( currently a red dot) and a 336 30-30 w full buckhorn & firesight front bead that are my usual go to for tight bush hunting. And I have a mk4no1 that has an 18.5" barrel and flip peeps regulated to 100 and 200...( i don't love carrying this rifle because of the 10rd mag) but a bolt action w really usable irons set up is on my itch to scratch list....most of my " hunting" class rifles have backup irons on them but truthfully the std open notch rear sights don't work as well for me.

I like open sight hunting for much of the huntung I have been doing the last few years....funny how things can change....use to be all about long shots and higher magnification....still have a couple rifles set up for this...last number of years it's about getting in close and hunting heavier timber...still love shooting long range w scoped guns but also have started pushing limits with the irons...never stagnant in the shooting sports lol
As long as you dont have any optics on it, just flip your LE over and carry it with the mag sticking up. Took me an embarrassing amount of years to figure out this trick.

I had a Lyman peep on a carbine length Remington 760 in .308 for awhile. On a good day I could get groups just a little over MOA at 100 yards with that rifle. One time I had it at the range in GP and was shooting next to a guy with some ridiculous tactical looking long range rig, to be fair I think he was playing with handloads and it wasnt going well, but it seemed to irritate him mightily that I was getting tighter groups than he was.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:23 AM

My old eyes won’t let me use regular sites anymore but I can use peep sites
Old 10-24-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
My old eyes won’t let me use regular sites anymore but I can use peep sites
Me to. Funny how that works. Also, it's surprising how well you can shoot once you get used to them and practice a bit. I could hunt forever with good aperture sights and never feel hard done by.

Another optical trick that really works is: Get a few of those hole reinforcements that we used to use on ring binder paper when the holes would rip out. Make them opaque black with a Magic Marker, and carefully situate one on your glasses lens "right where you look" over your iron sights. I don't know how it works or why, but it gets things in focus like magic. I wouldn't do it hunting, but it's a fun experiment when you're target shooting.