Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2016, 01:57 PM

Default Hunting dog vest?

Hey guys,

Just looking for some advice, I haven't been much of a bird hunter in the passed. Then I got my Lab, he loves playing in the bush, runs along behind the side by side, and he just goes crazy for birds of any kind. Had him out once last year for grouse with a buddy of mine and now were hooked. He's just over a year old now, and i finally got some time to start getting out again with him this fall. I was just wondering if you guys put those orange vests or chest protectors on your dogs when out in the bush and if so what brand have you found to work best? I don't mind the idea of him having the orange to keep visible when running around in the bush with other hunters. Keep in mind we aren't too hardcore into bird hunting (yet) as I'm more of a big game hunter, so i don't need anything too fancy. Just looking for some tips on keeping him a little safer when out in the bush.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:08 PM

I picked up one very similar to this from Wholesale a few years ago. Very light, inexpensive, washable. Gives some protection to chest, some visibility to find him and for others not to shoot him, and it won't overheat him.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:51 PM

this is the one we use

Last edited by gs100bert; 10-21-2016 at 05:02 PM. Reason: wont post pic
Old 10-21-2016, 05:30 PM

I use two kinds on the French Brits; they are pretty "light" dogs vs. my Springer's. Most of the time I use a light vest as has been suggested and pictured on this Thread, but as the weather deteriorates into Nov. I will switch to a neoprene as has also been suggested and pictured on this Thread.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:21 PM

Maybe a vest for warmth or if your dog has a poor coat but my experience is they do more damage chaffing then protecting. With a lab I can't see it being needed.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:27 PM

My pup wears a skid plate for both protection and visibility. He wears a Mendota skid plate with fastex clips that stays on, whereas I have seen the velcro straps on some of the vests pulled loose when snagged on sticks or fences.