Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2018, 06:56 PM

Default Calgary Rain & Lightning

Dayummmm was there ever a loud clap of thunder, and just the one, but it had to have struck reasonably close to our house in Killarney. Odd when its just one by itself. The house shook pretty good. Perhaps it was smart of me to come in from my storage & driveway cleaning chores, probably not the best time to be waving copper pipes about!

Hopefully its enough to scour out some of the smoke.....
Old 08-11-2018, 07:00 PM
Banned

Glad you are safe Good time to show your Civic pride and a get a 20ft rebar topped off with a Flames and Stamps flag. Run up and down the street yelling I'm on fire, I'm on fire
Old 08-11-2018, 07:01 PM

Already hearing a number of emergency vehicles heading somewhere. My guess is wherever that bolt of sparks connected.

Rebar has nothing on my bright & shiny lengths of copper, I can solder two together for 24' and run up a Jolly Roger on it
Old 08-11-2018, 07:12 PM

We had one strike close to the house a week or two ago, could even smell it. The ringing in the ears laster even longer
Old 08-11-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Rebar has nothing on my bright & shiny lengths of copper, I can solder two together for 24' and run up a Jolly Roger on it
Decoration for the new van?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagehunter View Post
We had one strike close to the house a week or two ago, could even smell it. The ringing in the ears laster even longer
Around 16 years ago I was in an old farm house just south of Calgary when lightning struck. I'm pretty sure it hit the abandoned steel water tower about 6feet away from the house, the noise made me drop to my knees and I was rather wired for the rest of the afternoon. I'm not sure if that was purely from rattled nerves or if it had anything to do with the 1.21 gigawatts flowing just under my feet.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Dayummmm was there ever a loud clap of thunder, and just the one, but it had to have struck reasonably close to our house in Killarney. Odd when its just one by itself. The house shook pretty good. Perhaps it was smart of me to come in from my storage & driveway cleaning chores, probably not the best time to be waving copper pipes about!

Hopefully its enough to scour out some of the smoke.....
Daughter and I just back from a walk in Discovery. A bright strike behind us and the power lines above sizzled and the insulators on the next pole sparkled.

A number of years ago in Richmond hill, I was on the deck, and could feel the air ionize. I thought, this is it. The clap was so strong, we thought the roof was torn off.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:12 PM

We just got a little thunder and rain here in Red Deer.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:48 PM

A few rumbles to scare the lab downstairs and a couple of sprinkles only deep south. Wife put the sprinkler back on in the back. Not enough rain to wet the street.