Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-04-2010, 06:17 PM

Default Bow hunting waterfowl?

I was out walking by the bow the other day and noticed the ducks sittingwithin 20 yards of me. The thought entered my mind "boy I could hit one of those with an arrow pretty easy." So when I got home I looked in the regs. The only thing it says for game bird is that you can hunt with a bow and arrow. Nothing about arrow type or draw weight. So I'm thinking that if you could use those bowfishing set-ups you could shoot and simply reel it in, no lost arrows and no duck floating down the river.

So question is,has anyone done this or is there something about this that would be illegal?
And can those bowfishing arrows be used out of 65lb bows?

Not even sure if it would be worth the effort but would be a fun way to use the bow when you aren't deer hunting in the afternoon.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:57 PM

I've wondered the same thing. Any info would be great!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:32 PM

I hunted geese and ducks many years ago with my long bow.
I used flu flu arrows and Zwicky broad heads, and also tried large eliptical feathers and Zwickeys.
Both combinations worked well.
I only stalked them once, the other times I was in a blind.
Cat
Old 02-04-2010, 11:37 PM

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe the regs say it is illegal to hunt waterfowl with a "single projectile" (single bullet/arrow). Good idea though!
Old 02-05-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -CLM- View Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe the regs say it is illegal to hunt waterfowl with a "single projectile" (single bullet/arrow). Good idea though!
That would only apply to bullets. Arrows are ok.

The trick would be to use the arrow in the river and not have to chase them as the current takes them away. Well I might just havta call F&W and see what they have to say about it....when I get around to it.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helixed View Post
That would only apply to bullets. Arrows are ok.

The trick would be to use the arrow in the river and not have to chase them as the current takes them away. Well I might just havta call F&W and see what they have to say about it....when I get around to it.
I talked to the authorities about this when I started hunting with the bow - there was no issue with it.
Cat
Old 09-13-2013, 11:11 PM

I actually called fish and wild life and they said it is ok to bowhunt migratory birds as long as you have a bow hunting permit however I do not want to loose arrows in the water so I bought a bowfishing reel for my bow the only thing is that most bow fishing arrows have barbs and I am unclear as if I can use these arrows any help would be much apreciated
Old 09-13-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig View Post
I actually called fish and wild life and they said it is ok to bowhunt migratory birds as long as you have a bow hunting permit however I do not want to loose arrows in the water so I bought a bowfishing reel for my bow the only thing is that most bow fishing arrows have barbs and I am unclear as if I can use these arrows any help would be much apreciated
Change the tip to hoops and I think it would work better.

LC
Old 09-15-2013, 09:37 AM

that would be a blast to try...
what other option would there be beside the barbs and the loops
I know chris bracket on arrow affliction bowfished for turkeys, why not try it with ducks
Old 09-15-2013, 01:33 PM

I don't remember if the prohibition against a barbed point for hunting big game applies to small game and birds.... for some reason I don't think it does.

However, I think you are likely to be unsatisfied with the result using the. Ow fishing set up. Those arrows are designed to be shot very short distances. The crappy little vanes are unlikely to adequately stabilize the arrow in the air (but you never know).

I would suggest you get yourself some flu-flu fletched arrows, and tip them with broadheads or Turkey hunting / small game heads. I have tried commercial made blunts (they both fly and hit poorly) and have had poor success. Broadheads have worked exponentially better for me.

Set yourself up to shoot into a field; makes arrow retrieval a lot easier.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:47 PM

I've done it with "game claws" on my regular hunting arrows. The arrows stop pretty quick when they hit water, just make sure it's somewhere with no current and you can wade in and retrieve your arrows and birds. I shot half a dozen on a couple of attempts a few years ago, missed one the other day!
Old 09-15-2013, 08:22 PM

I was invited to give it a try tomorrow night this thread answered all the questions i had,awesome. Look out birds!!!lol
Old 09-26-2013, 02:03 PM

I would recommenned flu flu's even with fishing tackle...

Neil