Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-13-2018, 02:01 PM

Default Crazy new Ballistics tech

So now we have scopes that will blue tooth link to your range finder and project a hold over dot onto your reticle. Seems like an amazing technology. Has anyone tried the new SigSuar scope range finder combo?
Here is a video on how it works

https://youtu.be/pAcW_cuxDlc

https://youtu.be/anF3UsPyczI
Old 09-13-2018, 03:38 PM

This is a similar concept to the Burris Eliminator scopes. The idea is good but I don’t like the idea of depending on batteries. I find the glass on the Eliminator scopes to be terrible as well.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:08 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but the draw hunting has for me, is the aspect of being able to do it yourself. Obviously, you can buy meat at the supermarket for far less than it costs to hunt it.

There's something about the satisfaction that comes from honing a skill and then applying it. I use a Rangefinder, sure. But I guess for me, there's still a large element of skill and know how that is taken away when the scope does all of the work for you.

I think it's a gimmick. An efficiency that takes a lot of the fun and reward out of the sport.

Not that I will criticise anyone who wants to use this..... just takes too much of the romance away for the Don Quixote.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:45 PM

This system makes that system look crude by comparison.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...he-real-world/
Old 09-13-2018, 06:52 PM

Now that is something that should not be allowed.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but the draw hunting has for me, is the aspect of being able to do it yourself. Obviously, you can buy meat at the supermarket for far less than it costs to hunt it.

There's something about the satisfaction that comes from honing a skill and then applying it. I use a Rangefinder, sure. But I guess for me, there's still a large element of skill and know how that is taken away when the scope does all of the work for you.

I think it's a gimmick. An efficiency that takes a lot of the fun and reward out of the sport.

Not that I will criticise anyone who wants to use this..... just takes too much of the romance away for the Don Quixote.
x2 I agree all the way,losta stuff out there to help you shoot better,but hunting skills are things you have to do in real life.Having a fancy scope doesn't make you a complete outdoorsmen.Then there's buck fever that no computer or app can help you with.When we can't use our brain to use what we learnt with decades of hunting,it's time to hang it up .

I love the stock and looking at my moose close up,i check the hide his muscle mass and if it fills the bill I take it. The love of hunting over rides any tools out there.Still like good quality optics,but batteries are out for me.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post

X2....not a fan of anything that relies on batteries,and all this gadgetry imho just takes away from the satisfaction and skill required.
Technology is always advancing and lots of hunters especially newbies with not a lot of success or experience behind them with more money than skill are always looking for that magic foolproof silver bullet.Worse yet,they think these techno-miracle gadgets make them into an instant sniper and start lobbing 700yard shots at live game with no real world shooting experience to speak of.....long range for dummies.
Don’t get me wrong,I’m not saying that EVERYBODY that buys into these gadgets is an inexperienced rifletard,just that it probably gives too many others an unearned false sense of confidence.

Last edited by West O'5; 09-14-2018 at 11:44 AM.