Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-15-2018, 08:44 PM

I was back and forth between a 26 or 28 nosler. I went with the 28 and bought 300 Bertram brass for it. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet. Gotta get rings.

I have a brother and two buddies with Browning hell’s canyon long range 26 Noslers. And they shoot very well. All shooting factory Nosler 140gr AB
Old 09-15-2018, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2381 View Post
I was back and forth between a 26 or 28 nosler. I went with the 28 and bought 300 Bertram brass for it. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet. Gotta get rings.

I have a brother and two buddies with Browning hell’s canyon long range 26 Noslers. And they shoot very well. All shooting factory Nosler 140gr AB
They say that the 26 is a barrel burner but then again I’ve heard them say that about other guns to. I’m glad I’m going with the 26 nosler. Should have lots of poke to shoot across my hay field. Lol
Old 09-16-2018, 08:29 AM

Congrats on your new purchase NW, nothing like a new toy to add into the mix of good times
Old 09-16-2018, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Congrats on your new purchase NW, nothing like a new toy to add into the mix of good times
Thanks Don. I think it’ll be a good one. Gonna down size the arsenal. Figure I’d like to get down to 1/2 dozen or so lol.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Thanks Don. I think it’ll be a good one. Gonna down size the arsenal. Figure I’d like to get down to 1/2 dozen or so lol.
What! Just a half dozen, how is that even possible

NW A what are you going to put for glass on it?
Old 09-16-2018, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
What! Just a half dozen, how is that even possible

NW A what are you going to put for glass on it?
I’m unsure. I do like leupold but I think I found a good deal on a Zeiss z4. Probably got 6 weeks to ponder. Lol
Old 09-16-2018, 11:51 AM

Ha, your not kidding about optic prices NW

I know my next scope is going to be from down south when I find some on sale.

Radius prices on them up here.

Exchange, duty, plus tax isn't that much even if I have to pay the extra over the allowable limit, normally it's only a few bucks per every $100 over.

I don't think $20 to $40 over the allowance will hurt my back account. Ha

I've been doing the 2 shooting load thing to slow down the chamber throat flash / "The Burn."

My off season plinking load is 5 to 6 grains off max, big savings on rifling wear.
The other 100 rounds for the hunting season are hot, I'm just closing in on the 8000 shots fired on the old Ought-6,,, pretty sure that the barrel will be toast by spring.

1 1/2 years on this pipe. LOL.

A quick change out on the barrel, I'll spend more time using the 22 rimfire and bow after that,,, its boiling down to savings over the long hual.

Thinking about it that is. Ha
Old 09-16-2018, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ha, your not kidding about optic prices NW

I know my next scope is going to be from down south when I find some on sale.

Radius prices on them up here.

Exchange, duty, plus tax isn't that much even if I have to pay the extra over the allowable limit, normally it's only a few bucks per every $100 over.

I don't think $20 to $40 over the allowance will hurt my back account. Ha

I've been doing the 2 shooting load thing to slow down the chamber throat flash / "The Burn."

My off season plinking load is 5 to 6 grains off max, big savings on rifling wear.
The other 100 rounds for the hunting season are hot, I'm just closing in on the 8000 shots fired on the old Ought-6,,, pretty sure that the barrel will be toast by spring.

1 1/2 years on this pipe. LOL.

A quick change out on the barrel, I'll spend more time using the 22 rimfire and bow after that,,, its boiling down to savings over the long hual.

Thinking about it that is. Ha
Figure I'll put 2 bits in a can for every round fired to pay for a new barrel. Should do the trick for barrel replacement if needed.
I don't generally monkey around with target loads and hunting loads but having said that I'll have to decide between bergers or Barnes. My two favorite. We'll see how it goes. Hoping to have it here by antelope time but might be doubtful.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:15 PM

I hear yha on the 2 load idea NW, just threw it out there as an option.

I'm still at battle with the 1 Gun thing, its been alot of planning going forward,,, dammed gun-smiths keep allowing me to spend my hard earned funds. Ha.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
I hear yha on the 2 load idea NW, just threw it out there as an option.

I'm still at battle with the 1 Gun thing, its been alot of planning going forward,,, dammed gun-smiths keep allowing me to spend my hard earned funds. Ha.
Ya gunsmiths and gun stores keep a guy reliable at work. I also found it helps not knowing how to etransfer money especially if the wife is involved. Another helpful thing is no one wants a cheque or money order anymore so it sure helps the gun fund
Old 09-16-2018, 06:20 PM

Ha, your not kidding

The only problem with me is that when I scale back, I normally do it in a big way with lots of spending power.

I was pretty much on track with the Ought-6, then along come the F Class Shooting freight train that I some how ended up climbing aboard,,, of course a person can't just own 1 target shooting rifle, so I picked up a second unit for back-up in the Stock F Class division. LOL

If I'm going to lay it on the line in the FTR, then I better be able to copy it in the Stock Class

The FTR Rig is 10 kg's all in, it's not fair to compare this to real world shooting skills. Stock Class rig is 9 lbs total, it takes pretty steady hands to hone in on the tiny V ring down range from 400 to 900 meters.

The V is 5", it's hard to see when the heat waves are rolling off the barrel, sometimes I end up retracting the zoom to 12 or 14 power with a barrel heat shield so I can at least see the target down range.

It's like looking at a target threw water as the heat waves don't allow my eye to focus on where I want to launch the bullet,,, it get so blurry at times I just give up and punch a hole in the fellows target beside me. Ha

Nothing like loosing points to start of the year.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:44 PM
Banned

Well Don it goes like this. I've spent more money and had less to show for. Kinda wished I would of liked guns as much as I liked women and beer in my rough and rowdy days.

Good look with the shooting.