Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2018, 02:36 PM
Banned

I have 2 golden retrievers, 1 year apart from the same parents.

The older one can be aggressive, and she will definitely let another dog know when she has had enough of their crap. She's never bitten another dog just the usual scary bark/growl. She also has high anxiety which has caused her to nip me and my gf a couple times which brought us to a professional trainer and it's been better. I'd never put her down for that. I do keep her away from most people when we are out walking which is my way of assuring she doesn't have a negative interaction.

Our other one the younger one loves everyone and everything. The deciding factoring is she has no anxiety.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Speed limits, seat-belts, drinking & driving.....are all just common sense rules to keep the majority safe without infringing too much on Joe Q individual.

Really simple, exterminate all attack breeds of dogs. I'm completely serious, society can't govern the irresponsible dog owners, time for certain breeds to live only in your Encyclopedia.
While we are at it lets exterminate certain types of people too. Oh wait perhaps you might be part of that group of people. Society can't govern irresponsible people either which is why we continually lose our rights and freedoms little by little each and every day.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
I see zero problems with running a course much like our firearms PAL course for all dogs.

Reduces bites
Increases the over all welfare of dogs.

I have had one serous encounter with an out of control dog coming at my wife and kids.

It went very poorly for the dog and owner.

now if we can only issue licences for birthing/raising children.......
Ah yes licensing. When the government takes your rights and sells them back to You!

What else do you wanna license? This will turn out just like truck driver courses and class 1 licensing did. Someone's cousin knows a guy who passes people no matter what......
Old 07-07-2018, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
lets swap pitbull for AR15 and see if the arguments for and against stay the same cause there's an awful lot of similarities in them
But I need my AR15 because pitbull exist..... It's my dog defense gun...
Old 07-07-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Hundred stitches ~ and still people defend attack breeds?? Go figure.......
17 dead ~ and still people defend AR-15s?? Go figure......

This isn't exactly an original or valid argument.

Last edited by Trochu; 07-07-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:32 PM

This thread had turned into yet another train wreck
Cat
Old 07-07-2018, 04:35 PM

Default Did u switch your IP addy this time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet Ranch View Post
Ah yes licensing. When the government takes your rights and sells them back to You!

What else do you wanna license? This will turn out just like truck driver courses and class 1 licensing did. Someone's cousin knows a guy who passes people no matter what......
Cause you sure are not here to contribute...... once again.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-07-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
X2 Trying to figure out who it is, but he sure is busy.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-07-2018, 06:19 PM
Banned

I'm sorry some people disagree with me. Wouldn't the world be a boring place if everyone agreed with everyone? Okay Sure the AR dog defense gun comment wasn't needed but I still stand by my licensing comment. A dog license? That's silly. Mandatory training? Also silly. We don't even have mandatory winter tires in AB lol. Less government is more in my opinion. I digress. Sorry some don't agree with my opinions on this rainy day.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
This thread had turned into yet another train wreck
Cat
It was bound to, that's why I let it go a week or two ago.....

Quote:
I noticed this too, I figure he has a short stay here under this new moniker.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-07-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet Ranch View Post
While we are at it lets exterminate certain types of people too. Oh wait perhaps you might be part of that group of people. Society can't govern irresponsible people either which is why we continually lose our rights and freedoms little by little each and every day.
Agreed, certain types of people should be exterminated. Probably any human that would rip another human limb by limb to death like the Op's sister was by dogs, capital punishment/extinction very good option.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
17 dead ~ and still people defend AR-15s?? Go figure......

This isn't exactly an original or valid argument.
If you are unable to differentiate between an AR15 or attack breeds of dogs, we'll all be well-served if you own neither.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Agreed, certain types of people should be exterminated. Probably any human that would rip another human limb by limb to death like the Op's sister was by dogs, capital punishment/extinction very good option.
I don't wanna go off the deep end here but yep. I don't know how often dogs are destroyed when they attack people but if they were destroyed after attacking someone unprovoked I bet owners would take better care of their dogs.

Case in point: myself. I admitted earlier in this thread my oldest golden has nipped us. So I know she's capable of it so i go to great lengths to make sure she interacts with people she trusts so that I won't have to fight a legal battle with a soccer mom even if she or one of her brat kids deserved what they got. My dog loves my neighbor, squeals when she sees him. On the other hand I've told kids flat out NO when they asked if they can pet her. One thing I hate is when people come in to pet a dog from above. Don't swing that hand down toward a dogs head or you might lose it. I remember once at the humane society we were there for Santa photos with our oldest golden (Lol Santa photos But they're for a good cause) and a few people did that and they got growled at. I sided with my dog and didn't blame her one bit. I also keep her on a prong collar to shut her crap down if needed. Maybe people need to discipline their dogs more. These puppy classes that are reward based clicker training here's a treat for being good are stupid. Once the dog realises they're not always gonna get a treat they won't always listen.

Whoops went off the deep end.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
If you are unable to differentiate between an AR15 or attack breeds of dogs, we'll all be well-served if you own neither.
Does this somehow support your position? This really has nothing to do with me being able to differentiate between two different objects.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Yup, rogue is rogue doesn't matter if it walks on two legs or four legs and needs to be put down immediately.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-16-2018, 08:13 AM

Mounties say a woman was killed by her pet dog Saturday after it initially attacked a young girl.

According to Strathmore RCMP, the boxer/pit bull cross attacked a three-year-old girl in the community of Langdon, about 36 kilometres east of Calgary, about 6 p.m., before turning its attention on its 49-year-old owner.

The unidentified woman, who police said was the dog’s owner, was in her home when the vicious attack occurred.

She was pronounced dead at the scene.

in this case , i'm going with " its the breed , not the dog owner "
my condolences go out to her family .
Old 09-16-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
in this case , i'm going with " its the breed , not the dog owner "
my condolences go out to her family .
Based on the incredible amount of information packed into the article no doubt.

And someone should really tell the RCMP that “pit bull” isn’t a breed. It’s a term that lumps a few breeds into one group based on appeared, but that kind of thing probably wouldn’t worry then too much.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:59 AM

I figured this thread would show back up....and will continue to do so on a regular basis. Still waiting for the story about packs of cocker spaniels taking down school children. But again, 'pit bull' isn't a breed...anyway, another sad story. Glad the little girl didn't get killed too.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-16-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
No use for dogs like that. I've seen people who have trained pitbulls to be tame and decent around other dogs. I've also seen people who thought they had trained their pitbulls and "never expected them to do that".

When a certain animal breed has been selectively bred for many generations to do one thing it is going to lack the traits that other breeds focus on.

These "fighting" breeds have been bred to be tenacious, have high prey drive, strong jaws ect. When your pitbulls ancestors were being bred for fighting were they going to breed the one who had a calm temper and good with kids or would they pick the meanest ones they had?

The way I think about it is horses. Yes I can put a pack on a thoroughbred but that doesn't mean it would make a good pack horse. You can get a Clide to run fast but he's not going to win any races. Could probably train a Shetland pony to be a roping horse but....you might get laughed at.
Just like dogs horses have been selectively bred for different attributes that training can only change so much.
Great perspective ! Having lost a great pet to a roaming Husky,it shouldn't be too difficult for anyone to understand.