Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-23-2017, 01:48 PM

Thumbs up 2017- a Recap.

What good things happened to you in 2017?

If you want to start a 'bad things happened to me' thread, go ahead and start your own. I want this one to be light, please.

My 2nd Grandson joined our little family. He is a wonderful happy healthy little guy, and his big brother is enjoying his new buddy.
My son found good employment in Edmonton (bleh) and is now engaged to a very nice girl.
My daughter and her family moved back from Weyburn, and is now only 90 minutes away from us.
I made it to Rupert for 20 days of fishing with buddies, got Oldman out again for what may be the last time, but got to see my good friends knock off a bunch of bucket list species.
I finally got to fish warm saltwater from a boat, both in LA in my friend's boat, then Mexican water, sailing out of San Diego on a huge party boat. That was a massive bucket list item that I can not wait to repeat.
I made a new friend in LA, a Sargeant with the LAPD that is going to come fishing with me in Rupert, hopefully any times in the years to come.
My boat ran perfectly!!!
But, I did spend way too much on it after I brought it home, bought all new electronics and loaded up on gear from the WSS clearance.

Please add happy/good things that happened to you.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-23-2017, 01:53 PM
Banned

Too many good things in 2017 to list but the highlight is another cancer free year.

All the best to you and yours in 2018 Ken.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:05 PM

Cancer free is always top the the list Blaine. Kudos Sir.
Same to you!

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-23-2017, 02:11 PM

Good thread Ken. I figure any year on the correct side of the grass is a good year, but had a few stand out good things:

My second oldest daughter got a great job and step up, moved from working at the TV station in Prince George to working for ABC in Rochester MN. Sky is the limit for her.

My son and I are working together, he is learning a trade and wants to take a business management course at the local college as well, so he can wrap his head around running his own business some day. He is also assistant coach for the local U-16 team with his old coach, and enjoying it (helps him still be involved in hockey as competitive play is done for him due to concussions).

My oldest daughter is doing great in school, landed a couple scholarships for her grades and got on Dean's list.

Middle child is working in her field at a local vet clinic after graduating from NAIT.

Youngest is doing great in school, and just got her driver's license first try. The wife's nerves are shot every time she goes out now.

The wife and I are healthy and happy. Got to do some fishing and hunting again this year. Went for a drive through Glacier Park in Montana, Logan's Pass in the little black car. A bucket list item to take the wife as she has never been there.

No funerals to attend this year.

President Trump gets honorable mention, as my portfolio has done extremely good this year......

Looks like the Flames will go into the Christmas break ahead of the hateful Oilers, and our fourth round 104th overall pick is currently tied with that first overall pick McJesus for goals/assists......that's a huge surprise!

Sns2 didn't have to suspend or ban me this year, though I'm sure I tried his patience on several occasions.

All in all, a good year.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-23-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:15 PM

Great reply TC, exactly what I was hoping for, and what the forum needs to see once in a while. Thank you, best of luck in the new year and beyond.
Come fishing with me in Rupert or points north/west this summer!
I am definately going the extra 5 miles this summer into Yankee waters, to get 2 additional Halibut per day. I can see this being an amazing year for fishing, and always love a new adventure.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Great reply TC, exactly what I was hoping for, and what the forum needs to see once in a while. Thank you, best of luck in the new year and beyond.
Come fishing with me in Rupert or points north/west this summer!
I am definately going the extra 5 miles this summer into Yankee waters, to get 2 additional Halibut per day. I can see this being an amazing year for fishing, and always love a new adventure.
I may just take you up on the fishing Ken! I have a trip booked in April to go to West Palm Beach with my son for the Barrett Jackson auction and also booked a two day charter with Angler Management, just to try east coast fishing...depending on work I may still need to go get some salmon and halibut too! Merry Christmas to you and Family!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-23-2017, 03:08 PM

Pretty good year.

Lots of changes.

Healthy

Next to zero stress.

Friend got married.

Tons of personal bests at gym.

Selling off lots of gun/hunting collection stuff.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:26 PM

Thumbs up good year too...

--Wife's pregnant with first baby
-- family's healthy
-- new truck in over 15 years
--180" whitetail shot this November
Old 12-23-2017, 03:42 PM

Learned to like Scotch. Not bad at all.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Learned to like Scotch. Not bad at all.
That's an excellent year!

Old 12-23-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That's an excellent year!
I second this

V
Old 12-23-2017, 05:34 PM

Got to hear this engine run & it still gives me shivers when I think of it

Got a HUGE amount of work done to the next build - which makes me a happy man !

Old 12-23-2017, 05:36 PM

First year of retirement under my belt and a clean bill of health from the Doc. It really is hard to be sad. Merry Christmas to all youse guys and gals.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:36 PM

I've had a good year.
Started it off thinking and feeling like I was about to die and now I feel better than I have in years, thanks to great doctors.
My family and friends are all doing well.
Doing well financially.
It's been a year of relatively few vehicle problems.
Looking forward to the new year, rather than feeling bad about the previous one.
All in all, I feel better, happier and more content with my life than I have in a long time.

Hoping the rest of you are doing equally well.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:41 PM

Good things that happened to me in 2017:

Healthy wife, daughter and myself;
Shot a 49 inch bull moose;
Scouted for/guided the wife who shot a 37 inch bull moose;
Shot a 179 5/8 inch mule deer;
Shot a 167 3/8 inch non-typical whitetail deer;
Got five guys (incl father in-law) loads of WT bucks and they all cut their tags; and last but not least, my wife told me that I will be a father again!

I seem to be very productive during hunting season, our daughter and soon to be baby were both conceived during hunting season! haha
Old 12-23-2017, 05:54 PM

A good year for sure. Family is all healthy. Got to ride our Harley all over Colorado with friends. Spent most of the summer and fall in Beaver Mines,
Got to make some awesome rancher friends. My wife and I enjoyed the place so much we, just last week bought land and a cabin to be moved in the spring.
Looking forward to a very busy spring. Family all coming over for Christmas dinner and spend the day. Can't ask for much more. Oh and cancer free for the last 7 years.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:02 PM

Good thread!

This was a super year!

I spent some serious quality days with my son, my good friends (couple excellent outdoorsmen ‘oldtimers’)... I took them to waters I haven’t fished since I guided...

Those were epic days.. big fish.. bigger smiles.

My son got his first WT buck!

We bugled in a nice bull elk!

I was able to run leg 5 of the Sin7... when I thought my running days were over (knee).
My wife and kids WANTED to enter and race the Kimberly Blackspur 100k trail race! So we ran it as a family team.... youngest runner just 13 years!.. he did 19k with 1100m vertical ... proud poppa!

Kids hiked some real mountain and bush trails.

I’ve had some serious professional victories lately.

I can’t ask for more really.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 12-23-2017, 06:33 PM

Well we sold our 160 acres in the Peace Country this past summer, way to hard for me to look after so the time was right...that's a plus,

We are building an off the grid little cabin/shack south of Meadow Lake Sask on 20 acres that we had here for many years...we are learning as we go as the wife and I are building everything..electrical,carpentry, and still feeding the bunches of birds that come to our yard as we are still in the bush..hard to see us unless you turn real quick at the right moment...that's a plus...

Got my mom moved into a senior care home so she will be safe now and eat proper..that's a big plus...she's happy now!

My wife has all her family within 10 minutes of us...that's a plus ( for her )..lol

Looking forward to 2018 and all the new fun that needs to be done..so all in all, it's been good...
Thanks Ken for getting this thread started...
Oh and so far the cancer seems to still be sitting dormet...that's a plus..
Merry Christmas everyone and I hope you are all doing well and stay safe over the holiday season..that's a plus as well
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-23-2017, 07:19 PM

Default Hmm let's see>

My son got himself a good solid job at CN ( finally something that isn't seasonal)
We sold Our Acreage and moved back into our old house in town.
I spent a week fishing at Prince Rupert and had an amazing time. Caught my first Hali/Salmon and Ling.
My Daughter is unexpectedly ,expecting our 4th grandchild ,a boy this time I am told.
Family is healthy and moving forward .That's a win.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Too many good things in 2017 to list but the highlight is another cancer free year.

All the best to you and yours in 2018 Ken.
Fantastic news. literally had my left testicle taken 2 days ago. Hopefully they got it all and nothing spread.

Just happy to watch the oilers with my 4 kids wound up like 8 day clocks waiting for the big guy too come tomorrow night!!
Old 12-23-2017, 08:12 PM
Banned

Another new grandson in February
Living with an amazing woman
Bought a new Arctic Cat
One of my sons got his first Moose and a nice Muley
Old 12-23-2017, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Fantastic news. literally had my left testicle taken 2 days ago. Hopefully they got it all and nothing spread.

Just happy to watch the oilers with my 4 kids wound up like 8 day clocks waiting for the big guy too come tomorrow night!!
I hope for you too. Seems the older I get the less the testicles are needed and the more I sit on them. I guess I’m saying it’s better then the alternative and wishing you well.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:55 PM

Still employed, shot my first moose and bought a new 2017 Challenger Hellcat. Every time I jump in that car it brings a smile to my face. It's a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2017, 12:50 PM

I quit my job in the patch after 10 yrs of operating. Finally can farm/ranch full time now with the kids.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:57 PM

2017?
Finally got the park model finished at the lake !
Buried more than a few friends, others had babies , my work partner took early retirement so things will be real busy fir me next year, my family is healthy however .
I just took two moose taurtueres of the oven and starting the French onion soup for tonight .
All in all, life was good in 2017 and I am looking forward to 2018!
Cat
Old 12-24-2017, 02:02 PM

Had a good year hunting pheasant, and took up waterfowl hunting again. Took what will be my last pronghorn, and helped a friend to get his first and last pronghorn. Helped a friend to get his first moose, on his first moose hunt.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:52 PM

Family is healthy, happy and able to celebrate Xmas here in Medicine Hat.

Older son started University, while his brother has a year and a half of high school left.

Got to spend some great quality time with my younger son and my good friend Ken07AOVette , chasing salmon, halibut and various other odd and unusual species in the waters off Rupert (thanks so much Ken, the kid LOVED it ! If we get weather like last year we should definitely head ‘across the line’.

Pencilled in a 2018 fishing trip with my older son (grad gift) to hunt dinos on the Fraser River.

No funerals for me in 2017, although unfortunately my older son had to bury a high school friend killed in a wreck … sobering and humbling lesson in mortality for him.

Work this year was very busy, however I so eternally grateful and thankful to have a good job with a steady pay cheque.

Career will be taking a bit of a turn in 2018. Same employer, just doing something I am more passionate about. Looking forward to a new challenge.

Harvested a WT and a MD buck this past season. Smaller bucks but memories made and meat in the freezer. Not done yet as I have a mid-January cow elk tag to try to fill.

Overall a wonderful year. Health and happiness to everyone for the year ahead.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:08 AM

Well 2017 is almost done and good riddance to it. Our family has been through hell with some mental health issues but we keep going. I dare say we’re better and stronger now than we were, but the journey is hard.
Here’s hoping that 2018 will be better.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:27 AM

My teenagers ares great, my elder parents and family healthy, just turned 50 and feeling good. Job is staying busy. Kids first big game animal was a big bull moose. I am happy, all the other drama is like the movie Groundhog day but my glass is always half or more full and that's how I approach it. The drama will sort itself out so why let it get ya down.

All the best to you all in 2018