Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-07-2017, 09:54 PM

Default Long bow vs recurve

I shoot and hunt with a compound bow and love it. I would like to start shoot a recurve or long bow. I'm sure there's guys on here that are pretty proficient with each. Just starting out what would you recommend I get. I'd like to get into it reasonably cheap so I'm not worried if it sits fir long periods of time if I don't like it if that makes sense. So long bow or recurve. What do you wheel less archers recommend. If you happen to know of any used equipment as well let me know. Thanks from a newbie
Old 08-07-2017, 10:07 PM

Default going from a compound

a few considerations. The recurve will feel more like what you are used to than a longbow.

Recurves are generally louder due to the string hitting the back of the limbs but not much compared to your compound. They are also a bit heavier but again, nothing compared to your compound.

unless you want to shoot a self bow (a bow you make yourself out of simple materials) there is really no difference in arrow speed between modern versions of the two styles.

if you plan to hunt with it, my preference goes to the longbow. I find they are less prone to picking up grass and twigs as you move around and they are a featherweight in your hand. Either way. Shoot both as your local trad night and decide for yourself. It helps to shelve the ego and start with a lighter draw weight and work up to something heavier if you feel you need it.

Check out Moebow on youtube for some great shooting instruction.

Let us know what you do!
Old 08-07-2017, 11:21 PM

I shoot compounds quite a bit, but I also shoot a recurve. It is a lot of fun, and if I practice with it I am confident on a moose or elk to 30 yards or so. One thing I learned is that if I shoot it with 3 fingers under the nock point the anchor point seems to be comparable/more familiar to the anchor point I use on my compounds. Until I learned that, I struggled with consistency. I have a Hoyt buffalo with 50 lb limbs.

Norm
Old 08-08-2017, 09:58 AM

Knotter has laid out lots of good info. I hunt with both.
The recurve will usually have a grip with more in common with the compounds.
The longbow usually has a more simple straight grip. This may feel odd.
I say usually as many custom bowyers make them to customer specs.
I do prefer to hunt with my longbows for the reasons Knotter has laid out.
Welcome to the addiction

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 08-08-2017, 06:36 PM

Once opon a time I built long bows and recurves. I hunted with both but always preferred the longbow. I found them more forgiving to small errors in shooting form
Old 08-08-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaboy View Post
Once opon a time I built long bows and recurves. I hunted with both but always preferred the longbow. I found them more forgiving to small errors in shooting form
I have to agree. the recurve is a tad less forgiving if you happen to squeeze it when you release the arrow. Your hand pressure on the string will torque the string more on a recurve. to get an understanding of this, grip the string and train to pull up or down toward the limb tip, it WILL move. the upside to a recurve is the grip might be closer to that on your compound. You won't be the same archer once you shoot either. Something will happen in your brain in a very good way.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:20 PM

Hey thanks for all the info guys. I agree and the lower poundage to start out with. She's a different game than shooting wheels for sure.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:37 AM

Default Check your ego

I've been shooting a longbow for about 5 years now. Mostly at paper. It's definitely a humbling experience. I haven't ever shot at anything larger than a grouse with one, but it's fun and satisfying as heck once you hit one!

Also I have made a number of self bows. Most have become firewood, but that's a whole other obsession.

Welcome to the world of traditional archery.

Cheers
John
www.highlanderhunting.podbean.com