Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-10-2015, 09:35 AM

Default New Bow Strings

Looking ar redoing my strings on my APA Viper. Bought the bow used a don know how old the strings are and they are looking like they will need to be replaced soon. Wondering if there are some better than others. I a. Still new to archery. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:39 AM

Winners choice hands down. If you want something made in Canada Scorpion it's a good product. These are pre stretched with minimal peep twist. Took me only a few rounds to break in my Scorpion. My buddy just rigged up with winners Choice and it was consistent after 5 shots!
Old 04-10-2015, 09:43 AM

I strongly recommend Worlds Best Strings...Best servings in the industry strings second to none...I replace my stock strings right out of the box on my bows with WBS...

Man these are incredible..install so close to spec it makes my job easy...transparent servings... your choice colors, top line colored loop installed ...etc guareenteed ...

Tried most all of the big name brands...always come back to these...
Canadian made also...

http://worldsbeststrings.com/

Neil
Old 04-10-2015, 09:46 AM

X2 worlds best strings are awesome I have them on my mission
Old 04-10-2015, 09:52 AM

I shoot 60XCustomStrings and I am really happy with them.

www.60xcustomstrings.com

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 04-10-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:48 PM

X2 on Winners.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:42 AM

Default Strings

I like "Worlds Best" highest pre stretch in the industry 1200 lbs. Made in Sask, I have had 2 sets and would get them again.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Banned

Mike Carters bow strings aka Crackers over @ archerytalk are excellent!
Old 05-28-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeP View Post
I like "Worlds Best" highest pre stretch in the industry 1200 lbs. Made in Sask, I have had 2 sets and would get them again.

1200 sounds good, but is unnecessary and likely to prematurely breakdown the material. Brownell and BCY only recommend 300 lbs. there the experts and it's for a reason. If I build with straight Dyneema like Brownell Fury, I do stretch a bit over 300 because it doesn't have the stabilizing aspect of Vectran with Dyneema in 452x or X. A compounds cables likely see less than 300# at the most. It's unfortunate bad information gets spread.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:42 AM

I'd highly recommend taking it to Neil at lost arrow archery (above).
He knows what he's doing, he'll set you up proper, he knows apa bows, and you won't be dealing with any arrogance with him. Well worth a day trip
Old 05-29-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
I'd highly recommend taking it to Neil at lost arrow archery (above).
He knows what he's doing, he'll set you up proper, he knows apa bows, and you won't be dealing with any arrogance with him. Well worth a day trip
This^^^^^^
Old 05-29-2015, 06:20 AM

Just ordered a set of worlds best !
Old 05-29-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
This^^^^^^
x2
Old 05-29-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytAlpha35 View Post
1200 sounds good, but is unnecessary and likely to prematurely breakdown the material. Brownell and BCY only recommend 300 lbs. there the experts and it's for a reason. If I build with straight Dyneema like Brownell Fury, I do stretch a bit over 300 because it doesn't have the stabilizing aspect of Vectran with Dyneema in 452x or X. A compounds cables likely see less than 300# at the most. It's unfortunate bad information gets spread.
Worlds Best Strings uses custom fiber also...the 1200 lbs is used to serve in servings with hands down the best servings in the industry...of the litterally hundreds W have installed I have yet to see one fail...

Neil
Old 05-29-2015, 09:13 AM

Default New Bow Strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Worlds Best Strings uses custom fiber also...the 1200 lbs is used to serve in servings with hands down the best servings in the industry...of the litterally hundreds W have installed I have yet to see one fail...

Neil

Custom fibre on the servings or string material?

1200 is just a nice marketing ploy to differentiate one company to another as strings are pretty simple on a whole. Look Americas Best Platinums, some fancy secret 'proprietary' process and a $150 price tag. Marketing and internet plugs working away. There really isn't anything special about strings as some would lead you to believe. . Even lay-up of string, even twisting. Proper diameters and using the right serving for each application.

Last edited by HoytAlpha35; 05-29-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Little of both their own blend....made by BCY....Mathews Zebra's do the same thing cept they have the worst servings ever...not enough pre---
they slip bad!!!

Neil
Old 05-29-2015, 09:30 AM

Would be surprised if the string material is a special blend, servings I could be believe.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:35 AM
Banned

Anything made with Scorpion it's a good product
Old 05-29-2015, 09:41 AM

Just had Lawrence install a set of WBS on my Centroid. The quality can be easily seen and Neil is right about the serving as it is top notch
Old 05-29-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdog View Post
Anything made with Scorpion it's a good product

Scorpion Strings is a string building company...also great strings ..best stock strings on most bow brands...As on APA bows...

Its not a product string material...Scorpion uses BCY material as does everyone else...

But your right!!!

Neil
Old 05-29-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Would be surprised if the string material is a special blend, servings I could be believe.
Don't need to believe it for it to be true
Why not call them and let us know what they claim? It would be interesting to know if they share what it is or if it's a bit of a secret. Either way, we may all learn something new (which is why I read here)
Cheers
Old 05-29-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:

1200 is just a nice marketing ploy to differentiate one company to another as strings are pretty simple on a whole. Look Americas Best Platinums, some fancy secret 'proprietary' process and a $150 price tag. Marketing and internet plugs working away. There really isn't anything special about strings as some would lead you to believe. . Even lay-up of string, even twisting. Proper diameters and using the right serving for each application.
WBS does it not for a marketing ploy...but because they can do it...and do it so it works for quaility string.s..other points are transparent servings...installed colored loops...peep markers..."Tri-splined strings" custom serving on cam roll over...no serving seperation...PRICE is on par for stock strings but with quaility...strings made so close to bow specs its scrary...makes my work easier...on & on...

All my personal bows have WBS out of the box or on first string change...

Neil
Old 05-29-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Don't need to believe it for it to be true

Why not call them and let us know what they claim? It would be interesting to know if they share what it is or if it's a bit of a secret. Either way, we may all learn something new (which is why I read here)

Cheers

I have once when I was inquiring about strings materials while first starting out in archery. Was told that a straight Dyneema 8125 was more stable than a the Dyneema/Vectran blend 452x which is completely 100% impossible. I'm thankful that knowledgeable builders where able to properly educate me. Did feel real great being lied to......
Old 05-29-2015, 07:03 PM

Default New Bow Strings

Quote:
WBS does it not for a marketing ploy...but because they can do it...and do it so it works for quaility string.s..other points are transparent servings...installed colored loops...peep markers..."Tri-splined strings" custom serving on cam roll over...no serving seperation...PRICE is on par for stock strings but with quaility...strings made so close to bow specs its scrary...makes my work easier...on & on...

All my personal bows have WBS out of the box or on first string change...

Neil

If it's not a a way to market what is it? Strings are so simple, companies have to find more creative ways to market than say a bow by promoting there fancy " proprietary processes" Transparent servings are great on bright strings or high contrast. Eventually they'll have a tendency to turn cloudy.

Curious what string brands you have used other than Scorpion, WBS, and Mathews stockers? I know you have mentioned previously you have used them all..... There's a ton of good custom builders. Scorpion and Zebras aren't really a high comparison standard.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:03 PM

I once peed over an 8' wind break. I was standing on the ground and about 9 or 10 years old. My brother was there as a witness. True story! Seriously...that's actually a true story. My family laughs about it to this day.

It might be convincing that you were enlightened on what is better if you explained the same to us without just stating we're wrong, that it's "100% impossible". How were you properly educated? Can you properly educate us? How is it 100% impossible? I don't think anyone's looking for an argument. If you're so bent out of shape with our ignorance on the matter, please inform us as we're willing to learn. Rather than wait for us to state the strings we've used so you can tell us they all suck, why not inform us what you've used that are better and the ones that aren't.

Last edited by kujoseto; 05-29-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
If it's not a a way to market what is it? Strings are so simple, companies have to find more creative ways to market than say a bow by promoting there fancy " proprietary processes" Transparent servings are great on bright strings or high contrast. Eventually they'll have a tendency to turn cloudy.

Curious what string brands you have used other than Scorpion, WBS, and Mathews stockers? I know you have mentioned previously you have used them all..... There's a ton of good custom builders. Scorpion and Zebras aren't really a high comparison standard.
Having tuned just about every bow commercially made...you asked...Hoyt/Fuse were some of the worst...We have winners/ ABS/FUSE/Zebra/Baracuda....and other xustom strings I won't mention...since your on such a hell bend mission to slam one bowhunters opinion...I will say out loud your Hoyt are the worst...for some of the reasons your thinking your such a Pro on...

I'm not sure what your problem is...but my opinion is opinion ...I will respect yours....you made your point...lay off
Sorry I am just trying to help out other bowhunters with what works and not plugging your strings...
Thank you
Neil
Old 05-30-2015, 12:36 AM

Default New Bow Strings

Quote:
Having tuned just about every bow commercially made...you asked...Hoyt/Fuse were some of the worst...We have winners/ ABS/FUSE/Zebra/Baracuda....and other xustom strings I won't mention...since your on such a hell bend mission to slam one bowhunters opinion...I will say out loud your Hoyt are the worst...for some of the reasons your thinking your such a Pro on...

I'm not sure what your problem is...but my opinion is opinion ...I will respect yours....you made your point...lay off

Sorry I am just trying to help out other bowhunters with what works and not plugging your strings...

Thank you

Neil

Yeah I can get carried away on this topic. lol. My apologies. It such a crucial aspect. We're talk 1/16" or less on the length of a string or cable than can effect the shot. You get into certain temperature conditions and it'll effect the performance and point if impact. To me the less that is needed to do to the material to make it stable and creep free means it more stable to begin with and is a better choice.

This is from DSM on creep. Different application but result is the same. Dyneema Or UHMPE Ultra High Molecular Polyethylene creeps by nature. It's just part of its chemical makeup. 8190, 8125 fall into this category. BCY even states that 8190 had the lowest creep ever for a Dyneema. Which means it still creeps...
http://www.dsm.com/products/dyneema/...ore/creep.html

Vectran is the stabilizing material in 452X, trophy, and X. Blends are 66% sk75 Dyneema , 33% Vectran. For X it's. 83% sk90 Dyneema and 17% Vectran. The experts that make this stuff for a living determine that's what's needed to be stable.

http://www.vectranfiber.com/ has lots of information.

With a straight Dyneema IMO extra procedures and possibly heat of some sort (which is so bad for dyneema) are necessary to get some stability. Those same procedures with a Vectran will breakdown the material and reduce it's long term stability.

Now to throw this all for a Loop Brownell has developed procedures in the construction of there straight Dyneema materials to get awesome stability, it impressive.

I'm not a hoyt guy by an means just a name from when I started bowhunying. Had an Alphamax 35 in '09, they went to a roller guard and they went buy buy, plus have you seen the prices? There atrocious hard to believe that much mark-up from the US. still have that bow thought. Shot prime, Mathews and since and house is full of pse right now. I could do some serious plugging for them

Fuse of past built with a sk75 base weren't good. After an elk hunt my bow was so out of time it required a complete go over. And those were built with 700lbs of pre-stretch as they promoted. Was the material to blame or the build? I'm saying the string material. The latest ones built with BCY X are solid.

Last edited by HoytAlpha35; 05-30-2015 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
I once peed over an 8' wind break. I was standing on the ground and about 9 or 10 years old. My brother was there as a witness. True story! Seriously...that's actually a true story. My family laughs about it to this day.

It might be convincing that you were enlightened on what is better if you explained the same to us without just stating we're wrong, that it's "100% impossible". How were you properly educated? Can you properly educate us? How is it 100% impossible? I don't think anyone's looking for an argument. If you're so bent out of shape with our ignorance on the matter, please inform us as we're willing to learn. Rather than wait for us to state the strings we've used so you can tell us they all suck, why not inform us what you've used that are better and the ones that aren't.

Was it in a 90 mph wind?

I used one set of WC and a couple WBS, and haven't bought a set since. Scorpions, cheap out on serving, mostly a 2-ply twisted which won't hold up on aggressive bows. Prime were solid when they used halo servings, but have switched to bcy 2X this year and aren't holding up. The last couple years of Hoyt's are much better. ABB on the PSE are a stock string not awesome not awful.

Best advise I can give is use a stable material which is going to be a Vectran Blend. Brownell Fury is working good for lots of people, straight Dyneema, but solid on the bow and different temperature conditions.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:57 AM

Hahaha, not that much wind. I've learned the hard way not to pee directly down wind too.

Ok, so I see what material you're suggesting, but I'm not clear on what is different between wbs and the blends or straight dyneema you refer to. Any recommended companies or string makers? (especially in Alberta)
Thanks
Old 05-30-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Hahaha, not that much wind. I've learned the hard way not to pee directly down wind too.

Ok, so I see what material you're suggesting, but I'm not clear on what is different between wbs and the blends or straight dyneema you refer to. Any recommended companies or string makers? (especially in Alberta)
Thanks

There stuff use to be 8125/8190. Packaging on a set I saw recently was BCY X. If that's the case for all there stuff that's good as your starting point is a stable base material.

There are a few guys I know building, but I think they build through shops. The best one I know in central alberta, not sure how much he does anymore. Sorry can't help with a builder.