Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-29-2015, 07:11 PM

Default arrow speed

I`m shooting a Mathews MR7 at 28 I/d at 69.5 #`s, my arrow weight is 458 grs, I chrono`ed it at 270 fps, giving me a calculated 74 K.E. and a.54 momentum, is this a good speed and energy level?
Old 03-30-2015, 08:25 AM

yep. will kill any big game in North america and most in Africa (min 66 for cape buffalo I think). Would have to go up for a Giraffe or elephant though.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:41 AM

Wasnt too long ago a 74 K.E. bow was crazy smokin!!

Neil
Old 03-30-2015, 03:18 PM

I'm not sure of the K.E but I'm getting 340's FPS at 29 inch draw 62 lbs and 359grain arrows.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:30 AM

More than adequate.
Happy shooting!
Old 03-31-2015, 02:24 AM
Banned

Good speed and energy level for what?

If for hunting then you must factor in distance as well.

Last edited by Luxor; 03-31-2015 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddjler View Post
I`m shooting a Mathews MR7 at 28 I/d at 69.5 #`s, my arrow weight is 458 grs, I chrono`ed it at 270 fps, giving me a calculated 74 K.E. and a.54 momentum, is this a good speed and energy level?
Mine is slower but equals dead from moose on down to gophers.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-31-2015, 09:28 AM

i have a DXT 27.5-70lbs and I think I chrono'ed it at 243 with 500+ grain arrows not sure what that works out too for KE energy but it would pass through moose and deer with my rpm im getting 92 for ke energey
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff

Last edited by backyard; 03-31-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Renagade View Post
I'm not sure of the K.E but I'm getting 340's FPS at 29 inch draw 62 lbs and 359grain arrows.
What bow?
Old 03-31-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
What bow?
It's a 2009 PSE X-Force SS. And it's actually at 66lbs. I'm Shooting maxima 250's cut down to 27 inches which is still within specs of the arrow. Changed out factory strings to worlds best and removed all unnecessary string attachments
Old 03-31-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
It's a 2009 PSE X-Force SS. And it's actually at 66lbs. I'm Shooting maxima 250's cut down to 27 inches which is still within specs of the arrow. Changed out factory strings to worlds best and removed all unnecessary string attachments
Pretty impressive speed out of a bow with an IBO of 328-336!!! (30 inch draw at 70 lbs with a 350 grain arrow, no peep, no d-loop)

How do you like the super short?
Old 03-31-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Pretty impressive speed out of a bow with an IBO of 328-336!!! (30 inch draw at 70 lbs with a 350 grain arrow, no peep, no d-loop)

How do you like the super short?
Yup.....I want to borrow his chrony, mine is broken.

LC
Old 03-31-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
That puts you making 92.2 ft/lbs ke and your bows Ibo around 355 (based on 66# dw) Thats pretty smoking!
Old 05-24-2015, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Shot placement is the most important thing Ted Nugent uses a 50 lb bow with non agressive cams to harvest moose in Alaska.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgard View Post
Shot placement is the most important thing Ted Nugent uses a 50 lb bow with non agressive cams to harvest moose in Alaska.
^^^
Old 05-25-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgard View Post
Uncle Teddy must be getting old and wise too!!...lol

Neil
Old 06-01-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrante View Post
Are you stalling? If so, point the nose of your plane into the arrow and then speed up.
???
Old 06-01-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
hey guys i`m back with an update, I changed my draw length to 29 inches and I dropped my arrow weight to 415 grs, the new chrono speed is 285 fps, which still gives me the same K.E. and momentum, I was thinking with the draw length and arrow weight change my speed should have come up to around 300 fps, anyone have any thoughts?
Old 06-02-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
hey guys i`m back with an update, I changed my draw length to 29 inches and I dropped my arrow weight to 415 grs, the new chrono speed is 285 fps, which still gives me the same K.E. and momentum, I was thinking with the draw length and arrow weight change my speed should have come up to around 300 fps, anyone have any thoughts?
Sounds a tad slow...have you had bow tuned lately...how did you measure 69.5 Lbs bow weight...calculate or actual weighed....?

Most with IBO of that bow is drop approx 10 Lbs down for every inch lower than 30"... couple FPS for 69.5 ..weight of arrow no more than 10 FPS so you should still be above 300 FPS

Neil
Old 06-02-2015, 10:01 AM

Doesn't Mathews do something a little different when calculating IBO that may result in a less than accurate comparison to the normal industry standards? Maybe just a rumor and I never took the time to verify my Z7, but I recall something I read on archery talk with Mathews using an 80lb bow for testing.... Maybe just a rumor.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Doesn't Mathews do something a little different when calculating IBO that may result in a less than accurate comparison to the normal industry standards? Maybe just a rumor and I never took the time to verify my Z7, but I recall something I read on archery talk with Mathews using an 80lb bow for testing.... Maybe just a rumor.
All bow manufacturers were obligated under IBO ratings if using IBO standards which are as follows...

And for the OP ..your MR 7 according to Mathews was 344 IBO

*How fast is your bow…Take rated IBO…
IBO speeds are based on a bow with a 30" draw set at 70lbs shooting a 350gr arrow.

-For every inch of draw length you go down you will lose 10 FPS
-For every 5# draw weight you go down you will lose 10 FPS
-For every 3 grains of weight your arrow is over IBO ( 5 grains per pound) you will lose 1 FPS
-For every 3 grains of weight you add to your string you will lose 1 FPS
so you can calculate approx speeds...

Having said that many bow manufacturers will push the 70 lb rule...use arrow with no vanes...on string with only wrapped nock point nothing else ...use mecanical shooter...all which exagerate speeds

Steps are in place such as with the ATA rating instead of IBO for realistic ratings....

Neil
Old 06-02-2015, 11:06 AM

Hoyt Archery: Maker of the World's Best Bows For those with questions regarding ATA/IBO velocity: ATA speeds are 70 lbs, 30 in. draw at 5 grains per lb. IBO speed is commonly believed to also be tested at 70/30. However, in actuality, the IBO standards allow for speeds to be tested at poundages as high as 82 lbs as long as the arrow is at 5 grains per lb. By going with ATA spec, we eliminate any question as to how we test our speed. REAL SPEED. REAL NUMBERS.

Taken from Archery Talk. Sounds like IBO can be manipulated where as ATA has defined guidelines that put all bow on a level playing field.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
All bow manufacturers were obligated under IBO ratings if using IBO standards which are as follows...

And for the OP ..your MR 7 according to Mathews was 344 IBO

*How fast is your bow…Take rated IBO…
IBO speeds are based on a bow with a 30" draw set at 70lbs shooting a 350gr arrow.

-For every inch of draw length you go down you will lose 10 FPS
-For every 5# draw weight you go down you will lose 10 FPS
-For every 3 grains of weight your arrow is over IBO ( 5 grains per pound) you will lose 1 FPS
-For every 3 grains of weight you add to your string you will lose 1 FPS
so you can calculate approx speeds...

Having said that many bow manufacturers will push the 70 lb rule...use arrow with no vanes...on string with only wrapped nock point nothing else ...use mecanical shooter...all which exagerate speeds

Steps are in place such as with the ATA rating instead of IBO for realistic ratings....

Neil
Hey Neil I haven`t had my bow tuned yet, I had a shop in Edmonton use a spring scale to get the draw weight, I have peep and a d-loop on my factory string, I used the online archery calculator with an estimated 15 grs of weight on my string and it said I should be around 306 fps . I`m thinking im going to have to plan a trip and come get you to tune my bow for me
Old 06-03-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Hoyt Archery: Maker of the World's Best Bows For those with questions regarding ATA/IBO velocity: ATA speeds are 70 lbs, 30 in. draw at 5 grains per lb. IBO speed is commonly believed to also be tested at 70/30. However, in actuality, the IBO standards allow for speeds to be tested at poundages as high as 82 lbs as long as the arrow is at 5 grains per lb. By going with ATA spec, we eliminate any question as to how we test our speed. REAL SPEED. REAL NUMBERS.

Taken from Archery Talk. Sounds like IBO can be manipulated where as ATA has defined guidelines that put all bow on a level playing field.
To be fair to IBO their rating was based on a bow with a 30" draw set at 70lbs shooting a 350gr arrow...5 grs x 70Lb = a 350 Gr arrow also...

IBO was pushed by manufacturs themselves...ATA is going to be more strict ...

BOWS Manufacturers such as APA will take your ordered bow using the ATA/IBO rating put a brass nock point on string and put that bow thru a chony at YOUR draw and YOUR bow weight and give you an actual rating...Realistic and best system in the bussiness IMHO..

I hide the chrony in my shop ...because a shooter buys a manfacturers over rated IBO of say 344 FPS...a pushed at best speed...
the shooter being 28" draw with bow cranked down to say 66Lb shoots his new bow thru the crhony and finds he is considerably below 300 FPS and is now depressed and doesnt like the bow...

Take the same shooter same scenio except no Chrony....and its the fastest bow he has ever shot and is one happy camper...

Many spend way to much time behind a chrony...but if they like to play thats great...
However any shooter that has shot for a while knows with one arrow ...its smokin and will knock down any animal in North America with likely a pass thru...

JMHO
Neil
Old 06-03-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Hey Neil I haven`t had my bow tuned yet, I had a shop in Edmonton use a spring scale to get the draw weight, I have peep and a d-loop on my factory string, I used the online archery calculator with an estimated 15 grs of weight on my string and it said I should be around 306 fps . I`m thinking im going to have to plan a trip and come get you to tune my bow for me
you would be more than welcome...many dont know that a bow can have all its specs tuned...BUT still have bow eight down five or even more pounds than spec...that makes a huge difference and bow weight has to checked while adjusting all other specs...

Most 70 lb bows we tune average 72 lbs maxed out common is 71-72.5 ...72.5 at high end...

Neil
Old 06-03-2015, 08:43 AM

Where this gets even more fun is where certain manufacturers draw lengths are actually 1/2" to even 3/4" of an inch LONG....so naturally they boost speed numbers by this

LC
Old 06-03-2015, 09:05 AM

best way to see what you are getting for speed is to put through a chronograph .... my rpm im getting 320 ft/sec the last time checked before I had it tuned so maybe shooting 325 now not sure how much it would change there's lots of places that will let you use them
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-03-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm360 View Post
best way to see what you are getting for speed is to put through a chronograph .... my rpm im getting 320 ft/sec the last time checked before I had it tuned so maybe shooting 325 now not sure how much it would change there's lots of places that will let you use them
Agreed the ONLY way to get a precise speed reading is a calibrated Chrony....calculators can get approx at best...

However the speed of the bow is what it is...at best one may gain 2-3 Fps on a proper tuned bow if played with...
I would rather see that bow tuned to the shooter and concentrate on bow and shooter form...

Any shop that has a chrony will let you use it...as will we ...some may chage a lane and set up fee...
Neil
Old 06-03-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I`m thinking im going to have to plan a trip and come get you to tune my bow for me
Stop thinking and just go.
You'll wonder what took you so long to decide, but don't beat yourself up over it.
PM sent
Old 06-04-2015, 10:20 PM

Funny that they're going with a 'more strict' set of guide lines

Anyone remember why they did away with AMO speeds?