Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-27-2013, 09:31 PM

Default nock collar question

I picked up some cheap arrows and it is recommended that I use nock collars according to some stuff I read online.

I am just wondering if anyone can tell me how to figure out which size collar I need for my new arrows. I have tried to find it online and can't seem to find the size I need.

The arrows are carbon express predator II 4560 model. I bought some 350 carbon express bulldog nock collars but they seem kind of loose on my arrows. Is this normal or should they be tight? If this is normal I will just glue them on and call it good.

I just wanted some cheap arrows to shoot at the range instead of wrecking all my good arrows all the time.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:41 PM

Default Nock collars

The collars should fit tight, and you should practice with the same arrows that you hunt with.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:33 AM

What does a nock collar even do besides putting weight on the wrong end of your arrow? I wouldn't worry about having them on, your nocks will fit better without them.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:30 AM

I was told that nock collars protect the back end of your arrows from splitting when shooting groups at the range.

I do practice with my hunting arrows but when I am just at the range to work on my form I would rather have some cheaper arrows that can be busted up and easily replaced.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:57 PM

Definitely practice with the same arrows you're hunting with - Even when practicing form. Just shoot at a 3 spot target when practicing or multiple spots... no need to ruin any of those arrows.

If you're looking for great arrows that are cheap AND accurate you may want to have a look at these guys. Lots of buzz around the archery sites on them to look up if interested. According to what I've heard they only test to .006 straightness but in fact their tolerances are much tighter than that (.001 or .002)

http://deercrossingarchery.com/collections/dca-arrows

I'm switching as soon as the season is over. Buy 3 or 4 dozen and make them up myself

Last edited by ULTRAlite; 09-28-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:16 PM

CX used to have the stronest arrows on the market...they could stand an inpact on a steel bear and not blow up like most other brands...

However the nock would via Inertia, put hairline cracks in nock end of shaft...the Bulldog Collars prevented this from happening...

They also help on near hoods from damaging the nock end of the shaft...

I have the list of different sized collars but not with me at the time...but will look it up for you..

Neil
Old 09-30-2013, 01:19 PM

thanks neil.

let me know what size and if you have them in red and maybe we can arrange to get them down here. nothing around here will work.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:32 PM

Or you could just use pin nocks and adapters. Might be just as easy unless you are going to use a lighted nock.