Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 03:35 PM

Default Car Shelter for Hunting Tent?

Has anyone used and modified one of these for hunting camp instead of a Wall Tent? Large enough and plenty tall, modified for a wood stove and smaller entry door, would this work? Would there be moisture/condensation problems?
Reason I ask is I'm getting one for storage use for a few months, then after that could modify.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sh...0703p.html#srp
Old 09-16-2018, 03:41 PM

Cant see any reason it couldn't work, IMO condensation can be an issue in pretty much any tent once it gets cold enough. Get a warm sleeping bag and leave the doors cracked at night.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:28 PM

Never seen it done , but what a great idea
Old 09-16-2018, 06:24 PM

A portable car shelter will without doubt have condensation issues but requires airflow to reduce it. I have seen an insulated ice fishing tent modified with a wood stove used with good results.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:41 PM

An old friend of mine used one for a cook tent/extra sleeping tent. They don't hold heat very well as they have a lot of air moving thru. My friend had a zipper put in on the door and it worked well for them. Condensation not really an issue when used with a good wood stove and using good wood. I truly believe that itself is the issue when people complain about woodstove heating issues. I find a nice big dead poplar that the bark is peeling off and preferably standing or just leaning. Cut into nice sized blocks that fit into stove. Make good use of the limbs and I like to cut the crotches out and use them at night as that is good hard wood and will burn a long time. A good big dead spruce will work as well but it will be messy with creosote. A fairly reasonably priced option. You would be able to sub in some insulated tarps as well on the roof if your going later in season. Just get out there.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:50 PM

condensation will be an issue if you use propane heat. A wood stove will be much better and you shouldn't have condensation issues. Im sure it would work fine but a wall tent is just so much better IMO. You can usually find good used wall tents for reasonable prices.
Best of luck and enjoy.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:12 PM

Should work fine, my yurt has a non permiable roof and condensation isn’t a problem. When you first set it up the moisture from the ground will cause some dampness, if you don’t like that put a tarp down and up the walls a bit to stop the wind while you’re at it. Like others have said wood heat really dries things out. You can make a stove jack with some sheet metal.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:19 PM

Thanks all, i'll give it a try next season after i'm finished using it for storage. Thinking one end can be set back inside a couple of frames for a covered porch as well. If it's draughty, i'll look for a larger wood stove.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Should work fine, my yurt has a non permiable roof and condensation isn’t a problem. When you first set it up the moisture from the ground will cause some dampness, if you don’t like that put a tarp down and up the walls a bit to stop the wind while you’re at it. Like others have said wood heat really dries things out. You can make a stove jack with some sheet metal.
Where did you get your yurt?

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 09-16-2018, 08:37 PM

Another down side is they are very noisy in the rain I worked for an outfitter up High Level way we built 2 wood walled and floored rafter'd buildings with no permanent roof we used huge tarp to cover. when it rained was likely to drive you nuts if you forgot ear plugs.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinawalli View Post
Where did you get your yurt?
I’m a handy guy and cheapskate ....I built it
Old 09-16-2018, 09:04 PM

I worked with a guy in Fort McMurray that did this in the back country up there with his friends. Said it worked great. Had to sled in all the gear and can only get in by snow mobile or a jet boat with a hard hike in summer. Pallets for a floor etc. I’ve been thinking of giving it a shot.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:53 PM

I have and will be again this year,

Mine is a 10'x10'x8'.

A visit to campers village for a stove jack, made two aluminum rings to hold the stove jack in place.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...40#post3507240

Things to consider walls do not breathe so I had to keep the door cracked a bit at the bottom, that stopped all the problems I had with the wood stove choking.

I had some osb sheeting down and a tarp, to keep the moisture from coming up off the ground, so I didn't have any real moisture issues.

V
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (28.8 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by vtecngsr; 09-16-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:02 AM

Here's a close up of the stove jack.

V
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 09-17-2018, 07:59 AM

Come to think of it my yurt had ventilation at the top. A couple Vents wouldn’t be too difficult to make. By the way if you need any of that tarp material or the glue for it go to any place that makes truck tarps or shelters.