Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-28-2018, 09:19 PM

Default Red Deer River Goldeye

So seriously... What's up with the goldeye fishing this year? Last year the goldeye were jumping like crazy all over the place and there was not an evening that went by where I did not catch at least a minimum of 5 - 10 fish. The average last year was 15 to 20+ fish in an evening. This year...completely different story. You see very few fish rising and your lucky if you catch 2 or 3. This night went out and didn't catch any. Had a few hits, but that's it. Very slow/poor goldeye fishing this year on the Red Deer River. Any ideas why? Oh, that and they're mostly just small ones. There were a lot more bigger ones last year.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:59 PM

Default Red Deer River goldeye

I was out the other night too, and saw hardly any risers. Caught one small one, and that was it. Fished about 2 hours. Threw all kinds of flies at them, but them just didn’t seem to be around. Was fishing by Bower Ponds.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:28 AM

Sorry guys I planned on catching some on the fly this year and my awesome luck ruined it for everyone.

My bad
Old 07-29-2018, 10:08 AM

We just finished up one of the best Drake hatches in the last 10 years, you can't put your foot down without stepping on a Stone Fly shell and the Caddis are finally recovering somewhat from the last floods. Fish are not hungry and enjoying the dog days of summer.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:00 PM

I’ve noticed the same thing this year on the Battle River where a usually fish. Last year was great for walleye, but this year in the same holes, I can hardly get a bite. I think one of the reasons for this here, is that the water level wasn’t really dropped to the point that the fish are more concentrated the the deeper holes. As for the Red Deer River, I don’t know?
Old 07-29-2018, 01:31 PM

My first time out fly fishing this year (Great Chief Park) was back in the first week of June sometime...before they let the dam out...and I caught 23 goldeye. The water was pretty low at the time Only reason I stopped fishing that night was because it started to rain and get dark and my arm was sore from reeling in goldeye. Here I was thinking it would be a great year...NOT. Ever since they let the dam out the fishing has been poor. The river is still high compared to last year and a lot of green gunk floating around. It seems like the goldeye are being really picky with what you throw at then too for some reason. Oh well... Went to Kraft Pond by Wimborne with the kids and caught some nice little rainbows and brookies, but it reminded me of how much I loathe bait fishing.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 07-29-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I’ve noticed the same thing this year on the Battle River where a usually fish. Last year was great for walleye, but this year in the same holes, I can hardly get a bite. I think one of the reasons for this here, is that the water level wasn’t really dropped to the point that the fish are more concentrated the the deeper holes. As for the Red Deer River, I don’t know?
I think you might be right about the water levels. Hasn't been good ever since they let the dam out.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runewolf1973 View Post
I think you might be right about the water levels. Hasn't been good ever since they let the dam out.
Red Deer is at that weird flux point. The released dam water will be cooler than than the river ambient temperature. Goldeye prefer warmer water

As well, when water levels rise, this is an indicator for fish to move. Cooler temperatures and rising water levels might push goldeye downstream.

To do some science, I would check the goldeye fishing in Joffre/Drumheller. I would hazard it is still pretty good. I would check the whitefish fishing in Innisfail, which I would further hazard to be better than normal (good whitefish is usually only with a couple km of the dam).

If the hatches have been good, I would hazard the probability of catching a brown trout within city limits is higher than ever. You would have a 90minute window, from 30minutes before sunset to dark to find them.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:20 PM

Hopefully it will pick up a bit this week while I am here.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:15 PM

Default Red deer river goldeye

Was out tonight and it was better. Caught them on flyrod and spinning tackle.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:58 PM

Mind telling me what general area of the river you were at? Not looking for specifics, just if you were near Red Deer town, Drumheller, Tolman, etc?
Old 08-16-2018, 05:49 PM

The Goldeye have been biting pretty good this week averaging between 10-15 fish per outing. Great Chief Park. Been using primarily Mickey Finn type streamers. Two weeks ago different story...went out 2 times and got nothing.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:15 AM

Default Red deer river goldeye.

Fished all over the place in Red Deer yesterday. Only caught one. The cold front yesterday might have them shut down a bit. Saw lots of ospreys though. Cool birds.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Fished all over the place in Red Deer yesterday. Only caught one. The cold front yesterday might have them shut down a bit. Saw lots of ospreys though. Cool birds.

What time were you out fishing? Lately it seems the only time I've found the goldeye really biting was somewhere between 4:00 and 6:00 PM. After 7:00 pm it's like they just stop biting altogether. This year has been a weird one. Btw, they seem to bite the best when it's windy and rainy out...less float tubers and noise on the river perhaps.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:20 AM

Default Red deer river

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Red Deer is at that weird flux point. The released dam water will be cooler than than the river ambient temperature. Goldeye prefer warmer water

As well, when water levels rise, this is an indicator for fish to move. Cooler temperatures and rising water levels might push goldeye downstream.
Iver
To do some science, I would check the goldeye fishing in Joffre/Drumheller. I would hazard it is still pretty good. I would check the whitefish fishing in Innisfail, which I would further hazard to be better than normal (good whitefish is usually only with a couple km of the dam).

If the hatches have been good, I would hazard the probability of catching a brown trout within city limits is higher than ever. You would have a 90minute window, from 30minutes before sunset to dark to find them.
Thanks for the tips. I know the browns are few and far between, and be very picky. Do they tend to hold in shallower water? Was out yesterday in Red Deer, and did manage to get 3 of the biggest Rockies I’ve ever caught. 17”ers. Caught them on 3” paddle tail Jigs of all things. Go figure?
Old 08-26-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I know the browns are few and far between, and be very picky. Do they tend to hold in shallower water? Was out yesterday in Red Deer, and did manage to get 3 of the biggest Rockies I’ve ever caught. 17”ers. Caught them on 3” paddle tail Jigs of all things. Go figure?

I tried sending you a PM, don't know if you received it or not. Anyways, that's awesome you were able to catch some Rockies. All I ever catch is goldeye and the occasional pike or walleye. There used to be large schools of whitefish you could see looking down into the water from atop the old train bridge, but that was many years ago. Was beginning to think the whitefish weren't even around in Red Deer anymore. This is really good to hear.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:16 AM

Quote:
I am happy to hear about the whitefish.

I stopped in Red Deer to fish for 1 hour on the way home from Edmonton from 19h30-20h30.

I caught this fish on a sz18 copper john. I can promise the fly was not important. It was a small fast sinking mayfly-like attractor. Almost anything would have worked if you could identify the pocket.

Traditionally speaking, slow current breaks behind beaver lodges would normally be brown trout heaven, but in the RDR, there are good numbers of pike and walleye. The brown trout *might* share water with another brown trout, but they will share it with whitefish.

If you are catching big whitefish, the brown trout could be close by. Whitefish tend to like the deeper pockets with a fairly good current, where they can hug the bottom but are still protected from ambush predators. Walleye and pike do not like to hold in this kind of water.

Otherwise, you are looking for thigh-deep bends and pockets with access to good night time hunting grounds. Good night hunting grounds will be a broad expanse of knee-deep water. You will be looking for 'trouty water'. There is not much of it downstream of Fort Normandeau.

Grey drizzly days and night time are your best time for active browns. All the brown trout will start moving upstream in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited by scel; 08-27-2018 at 03:21 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:50 PM

Beauty