Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-18-2018, 05:08 PM

Default Sage RPL 890

Just picked up a second hand Sage RPL 890-2, rod in as new condition (seller said it hadn't been fished actually, just lawn casted), aluminum case and sock. Problem is I really don't have use for an 8 wt rod. I just couldn't pass it up as I'm a huge fan of my VPS 590, and rumour has it they utilized the RPL blanks for the VPS line way back when.

So, I'm going fishing in BC for trout and kokanee in a few weeks, in a lake with the potential for native lakers and the occasional burbot. My fly rod arsenal now contains my old VPS 590-2, a new Bolt 690-4, and the new to me RPL 890-2. Do I need the RPL though? I'm probably more likely to utilize a 4 wt as I don't do any saltwater fishing nor pike on the fly.

So, my quandary, do I keep the 8 wt just in case I decide I may need it in the future? Do I sell it and buy, or trade it for, a nice little 4 wt. more likely to get used in the near future? The medium action blank really suits me well in VPS, so I think the RPL will be much the same. A lot of folks swear by these older Sage rods, and I tend to concur (contrary to my new Bolt, lol). I was tempted to underline the 8 wt with a #7 line and let her rip (planning on trolling a bit too so might be a plan). As you can probably tell, I'm a bit confused. Thoughts?
Old 08-19-2018, 10:02 AM

I have an 8 wt Method I picked up last fall and although I almost never use it it makes a huge difference for chucking streamers. I actually wish I had more reason to use it as it is an awesome rod. If you do streamer fishing for big trout, pike, walleye etc then your 8 wt could be useful.

I'll probably only use mine a time or two each year but I got a good deal on it so might as well keep it and have a good rod if/when I go on trips that call for an 8 wt. For example it will be thrown in on my Vancouver Island trip next week and will give me a couple other presentation options.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:11 PM

The bonefish are calling you all the way from La Salinas Cuba
Old 08-20-2018, 12:36 PM

Sage made a lot of fans with its RPL series back in the day. Still one of the best combinations of graphite and taper to ever hit the market
Old 08-20-2018, 06:41 PM

Default Rpl vs Vps

If you are interested I have a new never fished 690-VPS that I would trade you as I have an abundance of 6wts ie RPLs,XPs,Ones and TCXs but could always use a extra bank pounder/pike slayer ..... let me know
Old 08-21-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
If you are interested I have a new never fished 690-VPS that I would trade you as I have an abundance of 6wts ie RPLs,XPs,Ones and TCXs but could always use a extra bank pounder/pike slayer ..... let me know
I'll give it some thought. I've got my 5wt VPS and a new 6wt Bolt, so would be adding to a position of strength so to speak, but it is a pretty versatile rod range. I like the idea of uplining the 6wt to a #7 line, rather than downsizing to a #7 on an 8wt. However, I'm awfully tempted to put the 8wt to good use and maybe spool up some lead core for trolling for kokanee next month, I'd think the 8wt would handle that fairly well. Decisions...decisions...