Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2017, 05:07 PM

Question Road Conditions West of Sundre?

Howdy folks,

Going to be headed out west winter camping, and I was out on the trunk road and some lease roads a few weeks back and they were slicker than if a zamboni surfaced the roads.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...07#post3677007

Just wondering if anyone has been out that way in the last few days with the recent snowfall?

I've got sandbags, shovels, tow straps, tire traction mats, and a chainsaw. Also have my SPOT GPS messenger if we run into real trouble. Didn't get an opportunity to buy tire chains as I bought myself a nice new sleeping bag instead! I do have new duratracs for rubber.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/87126...c-sleeping-bag

Thanks in advance for any updates. Enjoy your holidays folks!
Old 12-25-2017, 10:25 AM

Drove the FTR from Bearberry south to the Stud Creek and back out through Burnt Timber yesterday. Plowed and in good condition from Bearberry to Limestone turnoff. Looks like they plowed the Limestone road as well, probably to the first compressor station, maybe further.
From Limestone road to Coalcamp road was plowed, but it had a lot more snow on the road; think 3-5 inch snow ruts in places. More rolling resistance = more chances to spin.
From Coalcamp road to a few miles south of Mountain Aire Lodge was well plowed, then it turned spotty again until Stud Creek.
The entire FTR had fresh, hard snow pack on top of the ice, lots of traction provided you don't spin and break through to the ice underneath. Although there were tire tracks going in to many of the lease roads, none of them were obviously plowed.
FWIW- I only used 4WD once the entire drive; the long climb with the switchback between Limestone and Coalcamp. Only because it was partially drifted in and I prefer to not spin on hills.

You'll be OK out there with your setup, just stay away from the unplowed lease roads with steep hills and no room to maneuver. Also, dropping your air pressure makes a huge difference to your traction. Low 20's is perfectly safe for Duratracs at low speed <70kph. You can take them even lower provided you have a decent compressor to air back up when you hit pavement.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell