Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-18-2015, 11:37 PM

Default Where to shoot near South Calgary

Bought my very first bow setup along with target yesterday and was dying to get out and start practicing all day at work. My "grand plan" was to just get permission to shoot on the land my community is close to, but after a couple hours of driving and a whole lot of no answers, I'm starting to realize finding private land permission close to home even just to practice archery may be very tough to obtain. The bow has already put a good dent in my savings so does anyone have any recommendations on ranges or other options where access and travel costs will be kept low? (live in far south Calgary, near spruce Meadows) I'd love to be able to try and get out at least once a week if i can find somewhere in good distance and affordable but the only place I can think i can think of right now is McLean creek which doesn't exactly fit those two parameters. Any direction you can point me in would be very greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Andrew
Old 06-18-2015, 11:58 PM

Default Shooting

There are several places to shoot your bow. Ji bows, calgary car her centre, the archery club on highway 8, or you can grab a target and head out to crown land.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:23 AM

Undeveloped Government Road Allowances outside of City limits.... Be safe, check beyond your target.

Buy a simple Rinehart target (or a competitor) and haul it with you. Or if funds are really tight, make your own from a cardboard box and old clothes. Or go to Home Depot and get 2" thick high density sheet insulation foam and cut in half and create 4" of target. But please be sure to clean up any mess you leave.

J.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:04 PM

Calgary Archery Center isn't really all that far from you and you can shoot up to 40 yds there...or hit Crown Land like others suggest.