Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-18-2015, 04:57 PM

Default Strung or Unstrung.

when I am not shooting my bow should I always unstring it? how long can I safely leave it Strung? I shoot it every day, exept on travels when of course it would be unstrung, should I just leave it Strung for the day then?
Old 06-18-2015, 06:04 PM

I was taught to "always" unstring a long bow when storing it. Some guys leave string on bow (unstrung) and some store it separate.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:50 PM

Really it takes 2 seconds to do. Is it really worth chancing screwing up your investment
Old 06-18-2015, 09:46 PM

ok
Old 06-19-2015, 08:15 AM

Many factors at play here..is the bow laminated or solid one piece wood...

some solid bows can lose poundage or see limb warp if left strung...most modern laminated as a rule are safe to leave strung...but why might be a question...

Some points are strung its a weapon...unstrug its a stick...lol

Strung there are more chances of someone dry firing the bow, string getting damaged...etc

if you shoot every day there is no issue leaving it strung ...if its

Some bows can get damaged by stringing improper so maybe better left strung...

if proper methods and bow stringers used...like mentioned it only takes seconds...and in my eyes a fun part of shooting recurve or longbow...part of the ritual that makes shooting fun...

JMHO
Neil
Old 06-19-2015, 05:19 PM

Default Bows

Some of the "radical" reflex de flex bows are a little tricky to string, and more damage can happen during stringing than you might want. I leave mine strung a lot and never had a problem. Of course don't leave it in a hot vehicle though.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:53 PM

If it is a solid wood bow {self bow} , as in No Fiberglass/Carbon it has to be unstrung when not being used. Otherwise it will take a set and be ruined quickly. It is fine to leave it strung while out for the day, but unstring it when you know you are not going to be shooting for a while.

If it is a modern bow with Glass or Carbon it is fine to leave it strung, as long as it is not in a hot car, hung in direct sunlight etc. where it can over heat and be ruined.
I saw a nice longbow come un-glued laying in the box of a truck for a half hour that had a black bedliner. It was High noon and a very hot day.
I ruined a set of $600 carbon Foam ILF limbs by laying the bow on a black padded bow rack ,in direct sun on a very hot day at a shoot for a couple hours. The heat of the sun on the black bow rack, and the black limbs melted the glue on the limbs where it was laying on that rack. That was an expensive lesson about bows and heat from the sun .

Next hot day go up to a black car and put your hand on the fender. Think about how hot it gets before you lean a bow against a vehicle.