Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-14-2015, 06:06 PM

Default Club 3-D Shoots

When are the clubs in Alberta going to start advertising their events. I understand Sherwood Park had a shoot this weekend and only 16 people showed up. I've been into three local archery shops this past week and haven't seen a poster for this shoot anywhere. Talked to a friend in Calgary today he would have come up to shoot it,but never knew a thing about it. Just seems like a lot of work to put on a shoot and then not tell anybody about it. Not just Sherwood Club this goes on with all clubs. Hey Clubs.... Your local pro shops can be your biggest advertisers. Word of mouth still the best
Old 06-14-2015, 06:52 PM

There was a shoot in Lamont and a shoot in Grande Prairie this weekend as well....at the top of the archery section is a sticky for 3d shoots.

I agree clubs should advertise a bit more if they want to have more participation.

Also there are quite a few shoots to attend....almost one or more per weekend!

LC
Old 06-14-2015, 07:14 PM

BigHorns Fathers Day Shoot is this weekend Jun 20-21.
Eh Lefty nice Avatar

CHEERS MM
Old 06-14-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmike View Post
BigHorns Fathers Day Shoot is this weekend Jun 20-21.
Eh Lefty nice Avatar

CHEERS MM
Hinton - Yellowhead Archers are having their Father Day's Shoot too this weekend., June 20 & 21st.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:13 PM

Anyone have anymore info on the father's day shoot? I haven't attended one before and they don't show what classes or restrictions . Some info would be great
Old 06-14-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterratitan View Post
Anyone have anymore info on the father's day shoot? I haven't attended one before and they don't show what classes or restrictions . Some info would be great
If you can post what sight you have that will determine class. If you are under 50 yrs old....if over it gets easier

LC
Old 06-14-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If you can post what sight you have that will determine class. If you are under 50 yrs old....if over it gets easier

LC
I'm 28 and i got a 5 pin react pro
Old 06-14-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I'm 28 and i got a 5 pin react pro
Then you will likely be shooting MBR/FPC (bowhunter release/ fixed pin compound).

All your pins in your sight have to be the same sized fibers, as soon as you shoot your first arrow on the course you cannot adjust your sight until after the round (up/down or left/right). You can have both front and or back stabilizers (no limit on length) your arrow if shooting over 280fps must weigh at minimum 5grs /lbs or draw weight. These are a few typical "sanctioned shoot" rules. Usually max distance is 50 yards. If the shoot is not sanctioned the rules and Max distance can differ.

LC
Old 06-14-2015, 09:32 PM

Yeah. Its just my good old hunting bow. I don't have a target set up. If max distance is 50 I don't have to adjust my pins at all the entire time. I'm not that experienced to pretend I know what in doing adjusting sights in between rounds. Just point and shoot. Jim bows tuned my bow. It does all the work for me

Thanks a lot for the info!!!
Old 06-15-2015, 10:54 AM

Have to agree with OP...even thou we have first post sticky...
"Sticky: 3D Shoot Schedule for 2015 ( 1 2 3)" which does mention most shoots... A full page poster from each would be awesome...I print off all I can find on here!!!

Neil
Old 06-16-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Then you will likely be shooting MBR/FPC (bowhunter release/ fixed pin compound).

All your pins in your sight have to be the same sized fibers, as soon as you shoot your first arrow on the course you cannot adjust your sight until after the round (up/down or left/right). You can have both front and or back stabilizers (no limit on length) your arrow if shooting over 280fps must weigh at minimum 5grs /lbs or draw weight. These are a few typical "sanctioned shoot" rules. Usually max distance is 50 yards. If the shoot is not sanctioned the rules and Max distance can differ.

LC
That may not entirely the right interpretation. The rule book refers to "circle" or aperture pins. I think you are ok if you have two .19 pins and two .10 pins. I have been through a few equipment checks with a BG sight set up exactly that way and nothing was said.

Of course if this is the new ABA 'rule' for the hunter class then I find that a little narrow. What is the purpose of penalizing the fixed pin shooters when you are allowing the movable single pin sights in the same grouping?

Already not liking the equipment rules. I hunt with a sight set up exactly in the way described above
Old 06-16-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
That may not entirely the right interpretation. The rule book refers to "circle" or aperture pins. I think you are ok if you have two .19 pins and two .10 pins. I have been through a few equipment checks with a BG sight set up exactly that way and nothing was said.

Of course if this is the new ABA 'rule' for the hunter class then I find that a little narrow. What is the purpose of penalizing the fixed pin shooters when you are allowing the movable single pin sights in the same grouping?

Already not liking the equipment rules. I hunt with a sight set up exactly in the way described above
You are making a wrong assumption Nope not a hunter class rule....any sized pins any number of pins for ABA Bowhunter Challenge Class. Right in the Bowhunter Challenge Rules we state we strive to be more inclusive than exclusive.

From the class rules:

i. The stabilizer system can be any shape or configuration as long as it is contained within a theoretical sphere having a radius of 12 inches measured from the point of attachment on front of bow (For the purposes of this rule, any device adding length or weight to the stabilizer shall be considered part of the stabilizer and shall be subject to the 12-inch rule. Un-weighted vibration dampeners are not considered to be stabilizers; however, un-weighted vibration dampeners attached to the stabilizer are measured as a part of the stabilizer and are subject to the 12-inch rule above.
ii. Sights: less than 12” and can be fixed pins or movable as long as pin is moveable without audible clicking. ( not conducive to hunting) No lenses (magnifying or not) in front sight. Any number of pins can be used, any size, shape or configuration.
iii. Peeps are allowed clarifiers or verifiers, as used in hunting.
iiii. Rangefinders not allowed however binoculars can be utilized at stake prior to shot only

I hunt with a 0.29,0.19,0.19,0.10,0.10 sight....legal for the ABA class.

However, pertaining to Archery Canada rules/fixed pin compound (MBR). I asked an executive this directly, if you use pins they have to be the same size....if you made it past the inspection, then they didn't check

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 06-16-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:09 PM

Love those class specs... wish I could make it. Have fun everyone, good luck!
Old 06-19-2015, 05:13 PM

Hey guys, seeing as all my friends are lazy as poo. I really want to go to this but no one will join me. Can I do the course alone ? I'm planning on going to the bighorn father's dad shoot tommorow and so far I'll be going alone. Its my first 3d shoot

I'm confident in my skill, just wondering if I'm missing something about shooting alone.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, seeing as all my friends are lazy as poo. I really want to go to this but no one will join me. Can I do the course alone ? I'm planning on going to the bighorn father's dad shoot tommorow and so far I'll be going alone. Its my first 3d shoot

I'm confident in my skill, just wondering if I'm missing something about shooting alone.

Thanks
Just show up and register as a single, they will put you in a group...the rest is just having fun!

LC
Old 06-19-2015, 05:55 PM

Thanks dude. Your always answering my questions. Appreciate it
Old 06-19-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks dude. Your always answering my questions. Appreciate it
No worries here to help, we were all new to the 3d game at some point. I was very fortunate in that I had great mentors to learn from. There will be some good folks at that shoot to help you out.

LC