Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-13-2013, 06:30 AM

Default Montec G5 broadhead question

Hey all,

I use Montec Broadheads (both the stainless and carbon steel) and I thought they were pretty good, but i am reading reviews now that alot of shootersare sayin' they find them dull from the start....any of you shooting these and if so, what are your thoughts on them? Do you sharpen them before shooting them? and if so, what's everyone using? I heard a diamond stone works well.

Thanks all.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:57 AM

I find them sharp enough out of the package however them seem to lose a bit of there edge quite quickly. The carbon steel ones are very suseptible to rust and of course that is not good for maintaining a sharp edge.

For simplicity you absolutly cant beat them but will be sticking to the orginal vesion not the carbon steel.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:35 AM

They were sharp enough to cut my finger right open a couple of days ago.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:01 PM

What's the idea behind the Carbon vs Stainless?
Carbon easier to sharpen? Do you get a sharper edge? Just confused why they brought out a carbon steel version.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:39 PM

Default Carbon

Generally higher carbon means harder and should keep and edge longer.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:28 PM

Every pack of stainless I have bought was not up to my standard for sharp. It will cut you, but I want SHARP!!!

I will shoot nothing but Carbon Steel Montecs from now on. I check them before every trip and if they are not what I call sharp I put a few licks on the stone and they are back to perfect. Stainless were/are a pain to resharpen IMHO.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:29 PM

I use a soft Arkansas stone to sharpen them but G5 has a diamond grit stone for that purpose. Either one with do you fine.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:20 PM

Default Flight/broadhead alignment question

thanks alot guys for taking the time to respond I appreciate it. One more question, When I had the shafts cut to length and inserts put in, the blades were aligned with the flights...how important is this on a carbon arrow with three flights and broadheads with 3 blades?? Had to replace one of my shafts with an existing broadhead, but the blades don't align with the flights.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:28 AM

I will never use them again. I shot a WT buck with them 3 years ago and the blood trail was horrible. We found the deer but not not until it ran for like 500 yards. It was a lung / liver shot as well. A friend of mine had the same problem with a moose he shot, no drainage. I went back to the ol' Slick Tricks and haven't had an issue since. I found the G5's to be a royal pain in the rectum due of the loss of sharpness that occurred even during practice and always having to sharpen before hitting the field. Rust was also an issue for me following some wet days. Sorry but they are just not for me. I have talked to other guys though and they love em, my brother thinks they are the greatest thing to come around since Christ had a soft spot.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:43 AM

I love the G5 Montecs, they are all I've used for 10+ years. Since they are so easy to sharpen there's no reason not to practice with them a lot. Nothing beats regular practice with your broadheads.

I've only used the stainless ones myself. I've personnaly never seen any dull ones right out of the package but regardless they are easy to sharpen.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:59 PM

Default question

iam planning on going after moose i been practicing with 100 grain field points , should i stick with 100 grain montecs as well. or should i go with the 125 grain and what kind of drop should i be expecting say @ 30 yards .
iam still a new to bow hunting
Old 09-16-2013, 03:55 PM

I once had a fellow complain till he was blue in the face about the Montecs being dull and was giving them a real bad rap until I looked at the package and he had bought the practice tips. DUHHH!!!!

Personally I won't shoot nothing else. Everything I have shot died very quick. If you don't hit it right it don't matter what you use.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:28 PM

I agree with the post above. Shot a cow elk last week at 35 yards clean through.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:31 PM

Shot a moose at 25yrds. Through one shoulder and stuck 2" into the other. He dropped 30yrds away. The good thing about them is the blades don't come off because they are not mechanical.

Gordon
Old 09-17-2013, 10:13 PM

ANY broadhead on the market will perform on a good shot....but only a few really perform on a less than perfect shot. That said, Montecs are SOLID...easy as pie to sharpen (all metal dulls over time due to oxidization, so they all need a touch up now and then), and they will pay dividends when you pooch a shot and hit shoulder blade or bone. They fly true as well.

As for "poor blood trail" noted above, I'd argue that was not likely the broad heads poor design...

Ive been using them since they came on the market...and have nothing negative to say about them. They are as good as any head out there.

Note: I shot a bear in the AM one year, resharpened the head at lunch at the camp, and shot my WT the same evening with the same head. Do that with a Rage...
Old 09-20-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgupnorth View Post
Generally higher carbon means harder and should keep and edge longer.
This is your answer right here.
Every high quality blade from the beginning of time to this day, are made from high carbon steel. Some slightly alloyed but, not stainless. Usually hand-made quality from a mastersmith. Chefs knives, Japanese samurai swords(not the stainless wall-hangers), a barbers straight razor....
They are 'usually' harder, easier to sharpen and most of all, hold the edge the longest.
Because of those reasons above, rust is a not issue for me. If one is concerned though, everyone owns a can of WD-40.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Runner View Post
If you don't hit it right it don't matter what you use.
that right there is the quote of the thread.

doesnt make a lick of difference what you use if you are gonna make a poor shot then push the animal right away.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:39 PM

I find High carbon much easier to sharpen with a much better edge...

Neil
Old 09-26-2013, 05:04 PM

Default Montecs

I have shot them for year's. They leave a poor blood trail???? I have lost one animal since they came out and it was a poor shot. Everything I have shot dies and I will tell you something else you can blow right through both shoulders on a Bull Moose and watch him die 20 feet later. IMO they are the best broad head out there and are easy to sharpen. Love them.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:01 PM

As per my post above...I love them. However, this year, I got some new Bemans with Blazer vanes vrs 5 inch vanes and my G5's are not flying quite as true as previous year...not sure what the deal is as bow has been tuned to what I thought was perfection ( I use that term loosely ha ha).

At 20 Yards the G5's are shooting 4 inches low, and 30 yards, 2 inches low...still good left and right. Rather than mess everything up I have merely adjusted my Truglow Range Rover sight markings for the broadheads...its bang on now. Once the season is over I will try and re-tune and get things perfect again.

Rarely do fixed-blade broad heads fly EXACTLY like field points...but the G5"s are usually pretty good. This is my first time I had to adjust the sight as a mitigation factor for POI, but Im OK with it for now. They are bang on to 30 which is my outter limit for my treestand setup anyway.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:21 PM

I have been shooting mechanicals for quite a while now.
but after shooting grim reapers im ready fir fixed blades again.......
take it for what its worth.