Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-16-2013, 03:12 AM
Banned

Default How to get started?

Hey Guys,

I am interested in getting into archery and would like some advise on how and where to begin.

Is there any place(s) one can go to learn the sport properly?

If it goes well and I enjoy it, I might get into Bow Hunting. Where can I go to find info on that?

Any advice and info would be appreciated.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:46 AM

A good place to start is to determine where your greatest interest lies - Traditional Archery or Compound Bows, Crossbows or all of the aforementioned?

Once you've got that figured you are ready to proceed. Either way, a good online resource that I often recommend to folks is Hunter's Friend. They are an online Pro Shop in the USA. You can perform an internet search and have a look around the site, they have alot of info on the current crop of Compound Bows in particular. They have alot of interesting reads on many aspects of archery such as bow fit, arrows, points, fletching et al.

Of course, sites like right here on Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum can be of service. Just go about the Archery Discussion here and see what you think.

When you are ready, you can find a Pro Shop to go to in person for more information. Hit up the Library and/or bookstore and see if anything caught your fancy.

If it's not something commercial you are seeking, there are a good number of Archery Clubs, Ranges and Associations here in Alberta that you may contact to get into it. There are Archery instructors that can help you if you want lessons.

Basically you learn and study the subject as you would any other. Oh and be sure to learn about Fred Bear!

Oh and of course, check out the Alberta Huntng Regulations concerning bowhunting. AHEIA has a bowhunting course that you may be interested in as well. You can contact them for more details on that.

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 09-16-2013 at 03:52 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info
Old 09-26-2013, 02:08 PM

D: Good advise above...I would start with any pro shop...

JMHO
Neil
Old 09-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Banned

the public library has dvd's on beginning and advanced archery for free that are interesting and informative.