Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-24-2013, 10:11 AM

Default Upgrading my bow...

OK all - Time for all of you to chime in with your opinions!! I'm looking to replace my bow after 10 years and wondering what the "field test reviews" are on the forum. Haven't even started shopping yet but I draw about 70 lbs with my current bow and shoot it well - Just a bit old and "noisy" compared to the new technology.
Would love to hear what you think... And I apologize if this is a re-post of a question already asked if I missed it scouring through the forum. If it is, I would gladly accept a reference back to the OP!
Thanks all!
KS
Old 09-24-2013, 11:02 AM

No doubt you will get lots of opinions on this. I purchased an apa viper last fall. I am very pleased with it. It is a nice feeling and forgiving hunting bow to shoot. Among a couple other unique features, it comes with a carrying handle built into the riser, which I really came to appreciate. The only complaint I have is that the finish seems to wear easier than my prior bow, which is a pretty minor fault IMO. Definitely do not buy a new bow without at least trying out an apa.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:14 AM

Default A new bow

Bows are sort of like underwear, everyone likes something a little different and you dont want someone else picking it out for you.

I shoot a bow that is 3 years old (Diamond Stud) so it has been a while since I have test drove new bows but...

Personally I am not a fan of the grip on PSE or Bear bows. If I was going to start looking for a new one I would try a APA, Hoyt, Elite and Bowtech (Diamond) in that order. I have not looked at G5 bows or seen enough Athens to have any opinion on them.

I say pick a budget, go to a few archery shop, I dont think Id buy a bow from a box store or one that does not have an archery department that really know it's stuff at least. Then shoot all the ones in your price range and have the features you want, you'll probably have it narrowed down to a couple in no time when you get that feeling!
Old 09-24-2013, 11:49 AM

I shoot a Prime Impact and love it but to each there own.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:35 PM

You can't go wrong with a Matthews and a lot of the top pro shops carry them.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:55 PM

2011 Hoyt Carbon Element here.... before that had an '03 Hoyt Magnatec that virtually was indestructible (dropped, fell on it, etc) and am having the same sort of luck with the CE.

Again, make sure you test them all and find a bow that fits YOU, not you fit the bow.... they will all do the same thing; throw an arrow faster and more precise than you can.... All of them will do that job, and do it well.

It basically will come down to whatever bow fits you and catches your eye.

J.

PS - the choice for me on the CE was weight; I wanted a light weight rig that was tough. Look up the torture tests on YouTube on the Hoyt Carbons.

Total weight on my bow set up, ready to kill is just about 4.5 lbs. Put on a bow mounted quiver and 6 arrows and it feels like I've just doubled the carrying weight.

Last edited by jcrayford; 09-24-2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: More info
Old 09-24-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkhammer View Post
You can't go wrong with a Mathews and a lot of the top pro shops carry them.
x2.

Find a good shop that carries a bunch of different brands and models and shoot them all.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:38 PM

Thanks everyone! I know there is no substitute for actually handling and shooting the bow before making a selection, and certainly plan on doing exactly that... Just wondering if there are certain bows or certain things people like or dislike about their bows from actual experience that would be valuable "nuggets" that I might not hear from the guys behind the counter. Trying to put together a short list of about 5 bows or so that seem to be top-ranked to whittle down the selection process is all! Thanks to everyone who have thrown out their opinions so far - I appreciate it!
Old 09-24-2013, 03:02 PM

A few things I love about the Prime Impact is the balance is amazing and i find no movement/kick back or vibration at all when I shoot it. It is not a cheap bow by any means but I think it was worth every penny. At the end of the day it was the bow i picked up and when i shot it felt i knew it was the perfect fit for me.

I don't think allot of guys shoot the Prime Line on here but give them a shot and see what you think.

Good luck with your new bow hunt!!
Old 09-24-2013, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the info SHH!
Old 09-24-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportHuntingHelp View Post
A few things I love about the Prime Impact is the balance is amazing and i find no movement/kick back or vibration at all when I shoot it. It is not a cheap bow by any means but I think it was worth every penny. At the end of the day it was the bow i picked up and when i shot it felt i knew it was the perfect fit for me.

I don't think allot of guys shoot the Prime Line on here but give them a shot and see what you think.

Good luck with your new bow hunt!!
I shoot a Prime Defy, and have two friends that shoot a Defy and a Impact. My friend with the Impact loves it and it's a friggin tack driver. His third time EVER shooting notshooting this bow but shooting at all, he Robin Hoods at 40 yards. I like my Defy but the Impact is sweet.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-24-2013, 03:54 PM

Default Go to Jimbow's

Had to replace my bow last year and after a couple of trips to Calgary Archery center and one trip to Jimbow's the deed was done. He has a good selection to try, no pressure and just common sense good service - before and after. Calgary Archery has long shooting lanes but is short on service IMHO. Was going to get a higher end bow but the Bowtech Assassin works wonders for the freezer and the Carbon Knight looks and feels even sweeter.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgupnorth View Post
Had to replace my bow last year and after a couple of trips to Calgary Archery center and one trip to Jimbow's the deed was done. He has a good selection to try, no pressure and just common sense good service - before and after. Calgary Archery has long shooting lanes but is short on service IMHO. Was going to get a higher end bow but the Bowtech Assassin works wonders for the freezer and the Carbon Knight looks and feels even sweeter.
I was in the same situation and tried a bunch this spring but bought a carbon knight. For me it just was perfect from weight to shoot ability to price. Give it a try you may find like me that it was the one.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:05 PM

I shoot a quest primal and love it. Also have got to see the g5 prime also amazing. My brother in law loves his limbsaver proton. Any new bow out there I am sure will be good just have to see what you like.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:37 PM

go try and APA. You won't be disappointed.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:41 PM

+1 for APA
Old 09-25-2013, 07:06 AM

I shot a lot of bows this spring and ended up going with the Elite Answer. The smooth draw, deep valley, rock solid back wall is all matched with forgiveness and speed. This bow is a must shoot IMHO!!!

A hunter is more than a predator, a hunter is a provider...a caretaker...a leader.
I will never make excuses for who I am... It's the way I was born... I'm a
hunter... A BONE COLLECTOR!!!"
Old 09-25-2013, 08:30 AM

...Being a dealer for 16 years and carrying most of the top brands over the years...I have to agree with APA this year...bows are quality and even better... made in Canada..warrenty is quick and second to none...

JMHO
Neil
Old 09-25-2013, 08:38 AM

Bowtech!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:42 AM

Thanks guys - Appreciate the opinions and input!! Maybe try to get to Jimbow's this weekend... Much appreciated.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:52 AM

Since you are coming to Calgary from the south anyways I think you should swing into the Calgary Archery Center as well. I believe they carry a brand or two that Jimbow's does not have. Both are certainly worth a look.

As far as Matthews goes I have shot a couple of their bows and they feel nice but man are they Ugly!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:48 AM

personaly I like the pse the grip is narrow but if you have a fat hand like I do it makes for a easy grip for me just my thought
Old 09-25-2013, 10:57 AM

I have a 2012 pse evo 7 , I like everything about it , fast ,quiet,well balanced , nice grip, compact , I would like to shoot a pse DNA ,, pse have made some nice bows over the past few years . I would recommend trying the PRO series bows
Old 09-25-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
Since you are coming to Calgary from the south anyways I think you should swing into the Calgary Archery Center as well. I believe they carry a brand or two that Jimbow's does not have. Both are certainly worth a look.

As far as Matthews goes I have shot a couple of their bows and they feel nice but man are they Ugly!
Must be in the eye of the beholder...lol

Neil
Old 09-27-2013, 08:19 AM

Thanks again all! Not sure if I will get in this weekend or not to shop with the boys on the ice all weekend, but lots of info to get me started!! Much appreciated!