Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-14-2012, 06:02 PM

Default Fly fishing/hiking pack recommendation?

Can anyone recommend a nice backpack that I can use for hiking and fly fishing?

It has to have pockets on both sides big enough to hold rod tubes and have straps that wrap over the sides to secure the rod tubes.
It also has to have a small front pocket that can hold small fly boxes and tippet spools. It has to have at least one main pocket big enough for lunches. There also needs to be a belly and chest strap. If it has extras that is fine but that is what is needed.

If it had some attachment areas for tools, gink holder, and those types of things it would be better.

Lets hear what you guys like.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:59 PM

Just go get a hiking backpack at Atmosphere.
And then purchase one of these
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...3Bcat104721480
I bought this guy last night and came to a total of $40.00 with S&H and Duty
Old 07-14-2012, 08:43 PM

Nah,

I am not a fan of hip and chest packs.

I just want a small day pack type set up that can hold everything behind me.

That is why I don't wear a vest anymore. I have a fancy vest that is hanging in the garage that I won't use.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 PM

Moutain equipment co-op has the best backpacks in my opinion, you're certain to find what you need. Ive used a few of they're daypacks(mec branded) and they are awesome, and half the price of the competitor brands, same applies to theyre high capacity packs for extended stays. They're research and development teams are always tweaking they're gear(ALL of theyre gear) to get the most out if. I personally wouldnt go with any other brand, but thats just my opinion.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshruby View Post
Moutain equipment co-op has the best backpacks in my opinion, you're certain to find what you need. Ive used a few of they're daypacks(mec branded) and they are awesome, and half the price of the competitor brands, same applies to theyre high capacity packs for extended stays. They're research and development teams are always tweaking they're gear(ALL of theyre gear) to get the most out if. I personally wouldnt go with any other brand, but thats just my opinion.
You may get the award for the gutsiest promotion of a very hated company on ao,, give it a bit and you will understand.

Nate! Did you want one that fits your lap dog too, like the gals use in beverly hills chihuahua?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
You may get the award for the gutsiest promotion of a very hated company on ao,, give it a bit and you will understand.

Nate! Did you want one that fits your lap dog too, like the gals use in beverly hills chihuahua?
I'll join the (soon to be) flamed club.

I use the Futura 28 from Deuter. I bought it at MEC. Oooh the horror. Besides all the other quality features it has, rugged durability, what I really love is that it has a metal curved frame on the back seperated by firm mesh. This means there is always a pocket of about an inch of air between your back and your pack, keeping you cool.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Member...28-daypack.jsp
Old 07-14-2012, 09:42 PM

Default Fishpond or William Joseph

I use a Fishpond Beavertail w/ detachable chest pack, holds a 2L bladder and all my gear nicely for flyfishing, chest pack is nice for fast and light small water trips. I also have a MEC climbing pack that takes a 20lb. chinook and 2 boxes of gear nicely I love my Fishpond also would recommend a look @ William Joseph, IIRC they had a beauty pack that would fit your criteria. Good luck, tight lines.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:56 PM

Fishpond wildhorse tech pack. Found mine used on eBay, great versatile pack. I'm glad I went with a pack with more capacity for the longers hikes
Old 07-15-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post

Nope just something that can hold all of my gear and last for awhile. I would rather have something that didn't cost an arm and a leg either.

I will look into all the suggestions and see which one I like the looks of the best.

I may just order up the Amundson double haul chest and backpack and take the chest pack part off. It seems to fit the bill and I can get a deal on it.

I will look into the hiking packs first and go from there. I have found a ton of packs online but some of the prices seem to be outrageous.

Where are you guys buying your packs from?

Here in Lethbridge we only have a few places that carry anything to do with hiking and that sort of thing so I am not really to sure where to look.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:22 AM

www.sunnysports.com is a good site I bought the high Sierra 75 pack on sale there and use it for hiking in my float tube and all the gear to go along with it. You could go with one of the models with less capacity like the 35 or 45. Buying something online than having it shipped to the courts boarder will really open up your option and save you a lot of money especially with the new duty free limits. There are lots of other good sites to like ebags.com or good old amazon and ebay
Old 07-15-2012, 08:31 AM

Fishpond Tundra Tech pack!! Super comfy holds A LOT of gear and some really nice features. A tad pricey!!

I also have the deuter futura series (both wife and I - hers the 28 mine the 32) and the torso lengths are way too sort but we make do). Torso length of the Tundra is great. The length of some of the straps however were too long so had to be trimmed (though I'm only 155 lbs and fit so someone bigger might be fine)
Old 07-15-2012, 09:36 AM

Have you looked at the Cabela's 3n1 tech pack? I've been looking at these myself for trips to the eastern slope streams. You can take the chest pack off the pack and attach in front or just leave it on the back. You also have the option of using it as a hydration pack.

3N1 Fly Fishing Tech Pack

Cheers,
Doc
Old 07-15-2012, 09:42 AM

Get a molle pack.has everything your lookin for and more
Old 07-15-2012, 02:53 PM

You're probably well aware, but cause nobody's mentioned it, I'll point out that with backpacks, just like footwear, sizing is important. Whatever you get, make sure it fits properly. You can have the niftiest pack in the world, but if it's too short, or too long, you're not going to enjoy it much (see Uberfly's post above). Any store that knows what they're doing should have weight bags to load up the pack when you're trying it on.

A feature I've found beneficial in a fishing pack are large elasticized external webbing on the back. This is good for strapping the soaking wet felt-soles onto at the end of a day if you prefer long, dry walks back to the car in something other than your waders and wading boots. Holds a set of sandals or alternate footwear during the day while you swat the water. I can't remember the brand of pacj that I had that had this though. I've had a lot of packs.

Hope you find something that works for ya.

hk
Old 07-15-2012, 03:21 PM

Nathan I am getting a new one. You can have the one I used down south if you like.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
Nathan I am getting a new one. You can have the one I used down south if you like.
I don't remember what you had when you were down here.

I am interested in taking a look though. If you want to fire me some pictures of it.

My pack that I am using now just isn't big enough to carry everything I need on a backwoods trip. It is really nice for those trips where I can carry my rod in hand and don't need much gear.

I may have an opportunity coming up right away for some fly fishing trips and want to be fully prepared for it.

I have to stock up on new tippet, indicators, bear spray, air horn, and I have to tie a ton of flies.

You probably know what I am talking about but if not we can chat about it on FB if you want.