Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-25-2008, 10:47 PM

Default xmass day wabbit hunt

well when I wuz a young guy growing up in Langdon Ab the big thing for my freinds and I to do was to do an xmass day or boxing day was to do a jack rabbit hunt well to day my grandson and i started the tradition again wow what a greaat few hours of bonding it was well worth it even though we didnt get nuttin we sure had fun
does any of you out there do smomething simalar????
Old 12-25-2008, 10:51 PM

New Years day for me has always been my 'hunting/fishing' day......

I used to coyote hunt every New Years....now I either do that or go ice fishing.....

Better than being cooped up all day!!!
Old 12-26-2008, 08:52 AM

New Years Eve used to be our Big Day: driven hares and pheasants. At first only a big pot of soup and sausage roles for lunch in the barn with the cows, in later years followed by a restaurant meal and more than a few drinks. As the youngsters grew older and got families of their own, coming home dog tired and reeking of booze at 8 or 9 PM on New Years Eve was frowned upon, especially the inevitable falling asleep on the couch shortly after that, so the Big Day was moved to no day in particular around Christmas.

New Years Eve has not been the same since. Of course that was in the old country, I only get a short e-mail about the results these days. Maybe it's time to start a Big Day tradition of my own.

Frans
Old 12-26-2008, 10:42 AM

Used to do an X mas day bunny hunt as well back in NS with Dad and one brother. But now we live all over the country so it doesn't happen anymore. Good ole mom was kind enough to stay home and prepare the turkey. Sigh... I guess thats why they are the good ole days.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Good to see you having fun with the grandson.

In southern Ontario we used to have "jack" drive on Boxing day and New Years day. A few pickups and a bunch of shotgun toting friends would drive the concessions. Some walked and some rode the perimeters. Many times the weather was not fit for man or beast, lots of snow and windy, but we persevered, and had a great time. Friends would come up from Ohio sometimes as well. The Vietnam war took a few of them and the hunt just kinda died as well.

We would hunt till about 2pm and end up in the tavern for a few drafts, and a bunch of talk and friendly banter. The hunters ranged from teens to seniors so there was always lots of tall tales.
We would all gather later for a dinner of "Hassenfeffer"

Great times and great memories.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand