Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-19-2024, 10:15 PM

Another great day on the ice today with my little buddy Carter.
Carter caught a pair of 77cm(30 3/8") pike that weighed 6lb-11oz & 6lb-13oz respectively and another 71cm(27.95") that weighed 4lbs-5oz. There was sure a pile of holy's and wows from both of us when I hooked into this 15lb-11oz pike and it took about a 100' run of line.
We watched it come in on the Marcum underwater camera looking like it would attack the camera. At once I twitched and jigged a 2 3/4" Live Target Perch rattle bait and it turned and shot towards the bait full speed engulfing the bait and I drove the hooks home hard with my 42" MH Quantum Pulse baitcast rod loaded with 30# suffix braid to a short 30" 20# Seaguar fluorocarbon leader and 30#-9" nylon coated wire snap swivel.
Carter jumped up and hit the save button on the camera's record feature and we got the strike on video! When that big head finally came up the hole mouth open Carter had owl eyes and couldn't stop saying holy and wow. He was pumped. What a great moment to share with him. He is such an awesome kid and we saw a cow and calf moose on the way up to the lake. It was a fantastic day!