Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-19-2019, 08:34 PM

Default Kokanee Fishing with Dummy Flasher Jigging JawJackers

I know some of you guys have fished for Kokanee in the summer... but have you ever fished for kokanee through the ice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVmqWZMjSNQ

This was my first ever successful ice fishing adventure for Kokanee Salmon fishing at Monte Lake. The lake is frozen quite well now and there are fish out there suspended below the ice waiting to find your lure. On my rod I used a Gibbs Gator Spoon flasher, 14 inches of four pound fluorocarbon leader tied to a Backcountry tackle 5 mm Pink Quick Flicker Tungsten Jig. I tipped the jig with half a meal worm. While many other people on the ice were not having much luck, I was able to pull my limit quickly using this method. A must have for better success in a Flasher Sonar like my Marcum or any other type of fish finder device. This will help you see where the fish are in the water column. You can use this advantage to present your lure in the right location. It also helps you get ready for a bite when you see the fish swimming towards your lure.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-19-2019, 08:54 PM

Drove by that lake many times on my way to Vernon always wondered how it fished in the winter season.

Very cool video.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
Drove by that lake many times on my way to Vernon always wondered how it fished in the winter season.

Very cool video.
Yeah in the winter when it's frozen you'll see 20 to 40 ice tents out there. It's a hot little spot right off the hiway!

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 02-19-2019, 11:09 PM

Nice! 8 hours 23 mins driving distance from my loc. Not going to happen Lake Mary Ronan 3 hours 43 mins
Old 02-20-2019, 12:16 PM

Brandon, cool vid! Standing in between two holes with jigging JJs and dummy flashers...brilliant! Thanks for taking the time for this getting out. I could see myself doing that
Old 02-20-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Brandon, cool vid! Standing in between two holes with jigging JJs and dummy flashers...brilliant! Thanks for taking the time for this getting out. I could see myself doing that
Thanks! Get out and try it sometime. Lots of people are hooked on these kokanee.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:52 PM

Cool video, I am in BC now and have been targeting Kokanee a lot. When they are feeding you can catch a ton.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:40 PM

I remember spending 3 days trolling around that lake without so much as a bite. Infuriating considering how far I drove specifically for the big Kokanee that are supposed to be in there. I've made a trip to Horse lake as well. For thousands of dollars in fuel, gear, and camping I think I've caught 2 Kokanee lol.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:38 AM

Creativity for the win! Nicely done Brandon. Next time you go out there it will be a parking lot of jigging jawjackers. lol
Old 02-21-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
I remember spending 3 days trolling around that lake without so much as a bite. Infuriating considering how far I drove specifically for the big Kokanee that are supposed to be in there. I've made a trip to Horse lake as well. For thousands of dollars in fuel, gear, and camping I think I've caught 2 Kokanee lol.
I would say kokanee fishing is sometimes a fine art. They are kind of fussy fish, but if you put what they want together it can be fast action.

I think the bigger kokanee mostly live up in the Cariboo Region. Kalamalka has some really big ones but they are not easy to catch and it fluctuates from year to year on the numbers. Wood lake used to have big ones, but ever since they've been managing it better the numbers are way up and the size is topping out around 14 to 15 inch mostly.

I find the two major factors in Kokanee fishing during summer are #1 Depth, #2 Speed. Once you got those figured out then they'll bit a host of things from small spoons, to wedding bands, to kokanee killers, spin and glows, bare hooks.

Troll as slow as you can go and when you think you are going to slow, go slower. Make S bends, and circles and drive like a drunken sailor. You'll catch more that way.

Best of luck!