Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-08-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Stevens 22-250

Wondering if anyone owns one of these, if so any info would be appreciated, good or bad. The price is great, planning on using it for coyotes.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:28 PM
-NDN-

Had one in .223, ugly, good shooter, felt blech, good shooter, unapealing to the eyes, good shooter,, and would buy another in a heartbeat

so many options to turn the ugliness to beauty. painting, aftermarket stocks, etc etc. Buy it, if your looking for some thing cheap, a good shooter, buy it!!! .223 and 22-250, top it with a used Tasco 6-24x42 and a used bipod off of CGN, and there ya go, a fully decked out Coyote gun for under $500.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:31 PM

I have one shoots good no complaints but i hardly ever use it.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:25 PM

Had one and sold it. The extractor needed to be replaced and if you have problems with it call Savage and they will send you a new one right away. It's not an uncommon problem. The stock and finish are rough but that doesn't matter much. The barrel will heat up fast so it's not much good for playing at the range with if you are impatient. Three shots at the most and then wait for about 15 minutes. It was very accurate but you have to check what the twist rate is in the one you purchase. Earlier ones had a 1:12 but they changed that to I think a 1:10 or 1:9 can't remember. Mine was a 1:12 and it did excellent with 40gr rounds but anything like the 55gr ballistic tips didn't shoot worth a darn. I think the barrel length is ok at 22" though my next one will have at least 24" and probably a 26" barrel. The safety is nice and the trigger isn't hard to adjust but I'd recommend setting the pull at least one pound heavier than what it seems it will be ok at. It's not the safest setup in the world if you don't know what you are doing and very possible to have an accidental discharge with the safety engaged.

Other than that can't say much more. I'd spend the extra hundred dollars and pick up the savage with accu-trigger but that's just me. I you don't like the accutrigger then buy the Stevens as I think the stock (although uglier) is more rigid on the fore end than the Savage.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:07 PM
jrs

Yes!!!
I got two and my hunting partner has one as well (223's and a 270). All great great shooters. I was going to go 22-250 but went with the cheaper ammunition, bit less noise, and ability to watch shots through scope.

Great value, i am currently waiting on a more powerful scope for my 223 as its crazy accurate with the current one (tasco 4-10 i believe, will be going to 3200 or similar in 4-12 or better).

This was the first seven shots through the 270, groups tightened up further yet after about 20 shots/cleaning process. My brother took two does with it this fall, last fall between four of us it killed 5 mulies. Seven bullets used out hunting past two years .

I just hate the fact its killed more deer than my Tikka 2 years straight .
Old 12-09-2007, 07:26 PM

Default .223

Hey All,

Buy it, if your looking for some thing cheap, a good shooter, buy it!!! .223 and 22-250, top it with a used Tasco 6-24x42 and a used bipod off of CGN, and there ya go, a fully decked out Coyote gun for under $500.[/QUOTE]

I also use a Stevens .223 With a Tasco 6X24X42 scope and bipod. They dont look that great but man do they shoot well and smooth (about 1500 rounds through it this year). Its my yotie gun and have had some good success with it. My fathers friend owns one as well and spent about a years finding a good load for it, So thats also what i use with a 55 grain Vmax. Total cost for me, (rifle, scope, scope mounts, sling and rounds was about $446) father gave me the bipod.
If you gets a Steven's .223 and wants the load info for hand loading let me let me know.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:56 PM
-NDN-

each rifle of the same model, can react in accuracy differently with the same load. A wise man from DV told me that
Old 12-09-2007, 08:25 PM

-NDN-
Thats is very true, even tho it may be the same gun, same year shooting the same load the round may react differently, although in most cases the round will react the same with minor differences in the rise and fall of the round due to small differences in the barrel twist and such. Also when hand loading i fine that you can strictly control every aspect of it, so you know all round are the same (there for the difference between guns of the same model may not be as noticeable) compared to if you were shooting factory loads. But with thats said, these rounds work very good for my fathers friend, and also very well for me.
Little Buck
Old 12-09-2007, 09:54 PM
jrs

I haven't worked up loads for mine yet but my hunting partner did with his. Not much point in trying too hard by our experience. We both were getting 0.5'' groups at 100 yards with the 223's with whitebox ammo, he did about the same with the reloads aside from a few groups i thought were nothing short of incredible at 100 yards (true cloverleafs, one of the reasons I'm getting a scope with sharper crosshairs and better glass, who knows what could happen). I am just going to shoot whitebox until i accumulate some brass to work with. They work very well and are pretty cheap.

The only downfall in my opinion is the heavy trigger, i'm okay with it as i have a 303 thats very similar, not much creep but it is a bit heavy.