Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty View Post
I always use shoe polish as a release agent and have never had an issue. Tape everything off that you don't want bedding agent on and use plasticine to fill holes and the magazine and trigger slots. Just clean up with a dremel and done.
My rifles shoot very well to a mile and beyond
I saw a great video of a guy bedding an action - the clear shoe polish thing was applied to the action using a brush to get a nice thin layer in there - seems like a good idea to me.

The clay thing was kind of neat too - not just to fill holes but the guy also applied a pinch in the barrel channel to ensure the barrel was clear (free floated).

I think if someone is patient and takes the time to prep the stock a decent bedding job should be a fun/easy project.

One thing he did mention - which is something I would have missed is to gauge/measure the recoil lug to make sure it wasn't wider at the bottom compared to the top (which would cause it to become trapped) in the bedding compound (if you bed up and around the recoil lug instead of just up to it I guess.