Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2019, 02:55 PM

Default Looking for an old dog

I'm looking for an old dog to retire with us. We recently lost our old girl to cancer & have decided we'd like another.

We are both at home all day & can take her on many walks. Would like an older dog as we know they are harder to place.

This dog must be OK with other people & dogs/cats. Prefer a medium - large breed female. A few health issues is not a deal breaker. She must enjoy snuggling & belly rubs.

Thanks.....Dave
Old 02-22-2019, 03:01 PM

Sorry but my girlfriend is not available.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:02 PM

I highly recommend checking with SCARS or other animal rescue societies. They often have older dogs who really need a good home. I have a mutt that came from there and he has been one of the best dogs I've ever known (he was 5 or 6 when I got him, going on 16 and reasonably healthy and happy now).

I haven't looked through their available dogs because I can't adopt another one right now but worth a look.

They do genuinely good work.

https://www.scarscare.ca/search-resu...imal_type=dogs
Old 02-22-2019, 04:09 PM

Thanks, I'll check them out.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:54 PM

Strange first post and I sure hope you're straight up. Adopting a dog, especially an old dog is a very noble thing to do.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:01 PM

Default Older dog

I had thr very same idea awhile ago but came across a dog guardianship where wa paid for the dog but with the dogs first litter we got our money back .we got a golden doodle and have not regretted one moment. Wonderful dog and will keep me happy for a long time. Piker
Old 02-22-2019, 05:09 PM

Smile

What a nice thing to do!! Here are some other links...not sure where you are, but rescues do transport amongst themselves, too.

https://www.animalrescuetransfersociety.com

This one has many rescues listed; just put in your requirements!

https://www.petfinder.com

Happy hunting, and keep us posted!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 02-22-2019, 05:41 PM

Kijiji is my go to source for dogs. I see older dogs every week on the site. Just search for the breed you are interested in then go through the list. Unfortunately they don't have a search option for age. There used to be a senior dog rescue in southern Alberta but they closed down in 2017.
SCARS, NASAP, are of course other sites. Large Senior dogs are usually the hardest to give away but they are appreciative of a second chance.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:10 PM

Heaven can wait in Okotoks.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-22-2019, 06:26 PM

Where are you located?

The Wetaskiwin Animal Clinic often has what you are looking for all ready to be adopted out. The fee they charge is to cover their cost of Spay/neuter.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:32 AM

You local SPCA is also a good bet. Older dogs are great. in my 20's I was heading out to a BC lake when a vehicle stopped and virtually boot/throw out a Dobie. Dog hit the ditch and the car sped off shooting gravel. She had a few scrapes but long story short she was an awesome companion for 5 years before she passed. Miss her still.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 02-23-2019, 01:51 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I am not far from High River so am working with Heaven Can Wait to find my new/old dog. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll let you know how we make out.

By the way. I've followed this board for years now but never had anything to say before. That's why this is my first post. I've learned a lot on here & so it was only natural for me to turn to this forum for advice when I needed it.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:55 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Simply Awesome!

Sir, my hat is off to you!
And it would appear an older pup is going to find a hell of a fine way to spend his or her's retirement!

Cheers!
Nog
Old 02-23-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bergeron View Post
Thanks for the helpful replies.

I am not far from High River so am working with Heaven Can Wait to find my new/old dog. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll let you know how we make out.

By the way. I've followed this board for years now but never had anything to say before. That's why this is my first post. I've learned a lot on here & so it was only natural for me to turn to this forum for advice when I needed it.
Awesome... They are a NO kill shelter that we have worked with before.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-23-2019, 05:35 PM

Default Cochrane

We just went through the rescue process. Visited lots of shelters etc. I was shocked at the number of senior dogs that were available. One shelter that seemed to have more senior dogs was the Cochrane Humane Society. I'm not sure why, one of the girls there mentioned that a lot of people don't want to deal with the end of life of a pet. Sad to hear that.

Good on you for wanting to home a senior dog !
Old 02-23-2019, 05:50 PM

3.5 years ago I was given a 6 year old golden retriever by a fellow AOer. The ex wife kept her from me for 6 months but I’ve had her back for a year now. Those 6 months without her were dreadful. But we do everything together now and it’s amazing to have the loyalty of a dog. My girl turned 10 on the 14th of February and is in great shape according to her vet.

Good on you for seeking out a senior pup.

BW