Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2019, 08:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
Avgas often has H2s in it and is transported by rail.
I know this for a fact because I was repairingg some track’s in the loading rack’s in a refinery, we were required to have SCBA on location aswell as constant gas detection.
The people that were loading the car’s had full positive air protection while they were loading.
Bunker fuel also often has H2S In it.
Probably under air for other reasons but not H2S.....or I would have been dead a long time ago as I literally have pumped millions of litres of this into jets on the tarmack.....we also use to wipe down the undercarriage of aircraft with it too.....

Changed many components on jets engines in which we would be soaked in jet fuel....still alive

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-24-2019, 08:22 AM

Av gas or jet fuel has essentially "0" or trace ppm levels of H2S, thats why they call it low sulphur diesel. A poor quality of bunker C could have some traces. If you can smell H2S not dangerous, if you cannot smell it could be game over.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I get what you are saying but how many people have died due to a pipeline leak? We can go round and round on safety arguments forever. Rather than an us vs them they both are viable options at a certain price point. Railways are best used for items that can’t be shipped in a pipe. Waste of energy compared to a pipeline. Grain, vehicles as other solid items belong on rail. Liquids belong in pipes.
Ban the railway...If it only saves one....
Rob
Old 02-27-2019, 10:14 AM

I heard we’ve got one off the rails in Lloyd this morning. I couldn’t find any details yet though.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
I heard we’ve got one off the rails in Lloyd this morning. I couldn’t find any details yet though.
It's running again the North end was cut off for a little over two hours thankfully there were no emergencies.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
It's running again the North end was cut off for a little over two hours thankfully there were no emergencies.
Good! Thanks bat119. The lack of an overpass to the industrial area will cost someone their life one day.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
I am sick and tired of member’s who are ill informed bashing the railroad.
Every time a train derails and spill’s just a little bit of anything members on here go wild.
“Unsafe” “horrible for the environment”
Untrue.
When a train derail’s and a “spill” occur’s everyone jump’s All over it,
And I’m tired of reading it.
When a train derails, the response time is unprecedented,
When a pipeline ruptures it can continue to pump harmful chemicals or oil into the environment for weeks or even months before it’s discovered.
Just for anyone’s knowledge. The railroad is just as if not safer than pipelines.
If you have any railroad related questions feel free to chime in

I agree with many of your points although when you compare total number of bbls transported per number of incidents pipelines are substantially safer.

Enbridge line 3 moves 120,000m3/pd or 755,144bbls pd. Average crude loading in Western Canada today is 138,000bbl/day, equal to roughly 18% of whats moved by line 3 alone. Start adding other pipelines into the equation, Enbridge L2,L4,L5,L67, Keystone, TMPL etc. and you immediately see theirs no comparison between rail and pipe when it comes to number of incidents vs total bbls delivered/handled.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:56 PM

Looks like another derailment. 20 cars near Banff.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:45 AM

they are empty grain cars tracks open now
Old 03-01-2019, 08:59 AM

As an aside, I am a recent U of A Business degree graduate: What is the best way to get on with a railroad? Apply online? Willing to work anything, field, yard, office, corporate. Just want to get my foot in somewhere.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:24 AM

Read an article earlier today a derailment in Manitoba crude train, million litres spilt.

BW