Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 08:01 PM

Default Rainbow Lake area

Hi,
We have recently moved to Rainbow Lake, and we love the outdoors. I have had the opportunity to harvest a black bear in the fall, awesome experience. I have hunted whitetail deer for ever in NS, but am finding it quite difficult in this area, doesn't seem to be very many. I have seen a few around the Chin river, and more towards High Level. Does anyone know what deer numbers are like around Rainbow? Looks like I might need to go out closer to High Level, a bit of a jump.

Last edited by Hunter3006; 11-17-2019 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Precision
Old 11-17-2019, 08:57 PM

Used to guide for moose up there quite a bit seen a few around the chin River maybe over by La Crete where there's some farmland

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2019, 10:57 PM

Think your going to have to head towards the farmland as 35whelen stated. Some pretty impressive whitetails coming out of that country.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:29 PM
Gone Hunting

I see a few around the lake when I'm up there fishing and a few around the air strip but like you say, not many in the area.

There are lots around High Level, LaCrete and Rock Lane. But the competition may be stiff.

When I worked highway maintenance I spent my summers in High Level. There we dragged as many road kill Deer off the right of way as anywhere I have worked and only rarely had to deal with one out Rainbow way, which is managed by the High Level shop.

You are not likely to get permission around LaCrete, they don't like any outsiders hunting "their area" crown or private.

High Level and Rocky Lane areas are your best bet. Or out close to the lake.

A word about the road to the lake. It's narrow, poorly maintained and crooked enough to make a snake puke. There are some signs at the major corners and intersections but they are hard to spot.
Just little squares of plywood as I recall. Painted brown with an arrow pointing towards the lake. Very easy to miss.
And there are no roads around the lake, just one road in. and a ton of side roads that lead to well sites and dead ends.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-18-2019, 08:02 AM

Default Thanks for the info, the more info the better

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I see a few around the lake when I'm up there fishing and a few around the air strip but like you say, not many in the area.

There are lots around High Level, LaCrete and Rock Lane. But the competition may be stiff.

When I worked highway maintenance I spent my summers in High Level. There we dragged as many road kill Deer off the right of way as anywhere I have worked and only rarely had to deal with one out Rainbow way, which is managed by the High Level shop.

You are not likely to get permission around LaCrete, they don't like any outsiders hunting "their area" crown or private.

High Level and Rocky Lane areas are your best bet. Or out close to the lake.

A word about the road to the lake. It's narrow, poorly maintained and crooked enough to make a snake puke. There are some signs at the major corners and intersections but they are hard to spot.
Just little squares of plywood as I recall. Painted brown with an arrow pointing towards the lake. Very easy to miss.
And there are no roads around the lake, just one road in. and a ton of side roads that lead to well sites and dead ends.
Thanks for the information. I was thinking trying east and south of High Level. Was looking at some grazing fields around those areas. Was considering heading down the Rainbow Lake Road and you are right, still windey, and only has those little brown signs. We took a drive down to the campground over the summer. Busy little spot. I think I will head east, I have seen a few in the fields, from the highway a few times. I have also seen a nice buck just before High Level. Right now, meat in the freezer would be great, buck or good size doe would be a great harvest in the next 2 weeks
Old 11-18-2019, 08:20 AM

Keg has summed it up well as he is very familiar with the north country. I would suggest you go alittle further south of Manning towards Grimshaw. Deer do not do well in northern bush with high wolf numbers.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:35 AM
Gone Hunting

Lots of Deer around Keg River. Getting permission is hit and miss though.
But probibly no more then around High Level or even down here where I live.

I have Deer parading through my yard every day. Some nice bucks around too. But I see as many just about anywhere the wolves don't patrol.
So look a few miles out in farm country, away for unbroken forest where the wolves patrol.

East of High Level should be good, buddy up there has been whacking the wolves there for several years now. You won't find a Wolf more then a few hundred yards from undeveloped crown land these days.
Same thing down here, my next door neighber has them educated, they stay clear of the farm land around here so the Deer are doing fine here.

George Bernard Shaw