Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-16-2019, 08:57 AM

Default wolf bait set-up

With the ground freezing up here im planning on getting a wolf bait set-up for the winter. Ive had a trail camera set-up in the area and got a couple pics of wolves over the summer. Within a few miles of this location i have seen them live a handful of times and heard from others as well. I plan to set it up on a beaver dam and drill a few holes and freeze fence posts in for a trail cam and chaining some bait up. i plan to make a few 5 gallon pail meatsicles as well as a good supply of deer/cattle scraps. I will be hand bombing this stuff in about 4-500 yards from where i could park a vehicle and go fairly unnoticed with the lay of the land. Any guys able to chime in on any pointers or experience?
Old 11-16-2019, 09:19 AM

Would you happen to have a use for 115 chickens for bait ? I would like to have them gone by this weekend. They are laying hens and they are live.
Matt
Old 11-16-2019, 09:47 AM

Default Wolf bait set up

From my experiance with coyotes, I’d say to use a ton of bait. Ravens can clean up an amazing amount in a short time. I would also avoid the use of chains and fence posts at your bait sight. Canines are too smart and wary to fall for that. Maybe talk to your local highway clean up crew for some road kill. Check with fish and wildlife for any necessary permits to do so. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
From my experiance with coyotes, I’d say to use a ton of bait. Ravens can clean up an amazing amount in a short time. I would also avoid the use of chains and fence posts at your bait sight. Canines are too smart and wary to fall for that. Maybe talk to your local highway clean up crew for some road kill. Check with fish and wildlife for any necessary permits to do so. Good luck.
Just saying without knowing where you are located.

From the regs....

Baiting for Wolves and Coyotes - On public land, hunters cannot use bait for hunting wolves or coyotes except a) from Dec. 1 to Mar. 31, or b) during an open season for the hunting of black bear where the setting out, use and possession of bait for the purpose of hunting black bear is permitted.

Each wolf or coyote bait site must have a readily observable sign showing the owner’s name, WIN, Big Game Outfitter-guide Permit Number, or Big Game Guide’s Designation Number.

These baiting restrictions do not apply to WMUs 102-166, to persons hunting under authority of a trapping licence, or on any private land.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-16-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
That was my experience, tough to stay ahead of the feathered scavengers, even had a Golden Eagle come around.

Grizz
Old 11-16-2019, 06:22 PM

Check with fish and game on the use of domestic meat for bait on crown land in your area,might save you some trouble and good luck
Old 11-17-2019, 12:19 PM

I intend to have some ice balls full of meat to leave around for longevity. Im pretty sure ive seen guys use a post for a trail cam mount. Looking for info from guys that have tried to run a bait for wolves.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:26 PM

I’m new at wolf bait stations but found this good video on utube. Lots of good information.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zOqFNH018lA

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2019, 12:14 PM

In my experience, baiting wolves is a tough gig. They don’t come around for weeks and then a large pack can clean up 300 lbs of bait in one night. They are also typically nocturnal; the only wolves I ever actually witnessed hitting my bait came in at 23:00.

Trail cameras will help you pattern them. It will also depend on the snow pack and prey numbers as a hungry wolf is much easier to bait. You may also get some loners or young wolves coming in.

If you shoot one, hold your position and stay quiet as the other pack members will often come back looking for the missing wolf.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Gerry Burnie