Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2024, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzysoil View Post
Just a quick reply on my original post.
I just got back from Clearpoint surgical in Toronto
I had a hip replacement on feb 6 was up walking same day
Got released next day. Was walking fine with walker went out for supper in an Uber with the wife that night. Flew home on the 10 th. Have virtually no pain other than some stiffness in my thigh from where they moved muscles to get at the hip. Last night 5 days after surgery I ditched the walker and am moving around with cane with no issues.
I would highly recommend Clearpoint and especially Dr Sebastian Rodreguiz for a hip replacement.
If I wouldn’t have went private I would have been waiting at least another 2 years .I was barely getting around with a cane before surgery & I’m pretty sure I would have been in a wheelchair in the next few months. Our health system needs a real work over it so messed up.
X2 for Dr Sebastian Rodreguiz

You think I was writing the review, same , same but my surgery was May 5,2022. I never took another pain medication two hours after surgery, pre surgery was a whole different story including Vodka

Physio was over rated too, just keep doing the exercises and walking as prescribed
Congratulations
Old 02-12-2024, 04:32 PM

[Q

Last edited by 209x50; 02-12-2024 at 04:34 PM. Reason: error
Old 02-13-2024, 08:38 AM

Remember guys, collect your receipts for surgery, air fares and hotel/food expenses to submit for you taxes. Also, submit the forms to claim the amounts you can get back from AHS. Works out to ballpark $5,000.

This is the specific email to send the claims forms to. You can send your complete bill for the surgery in as well, and ask them to look at additional compensation. Mine has been in for over a month, no response from them so far.

Health.hcipaoopooc@gov.ab.ca

Quote:
Thank you for contacting the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan.

Please submit your inquiry to our Out of Province Claims Department directly:
Health.hcipaoopooc@gov.ab.ca

An Out-of-Province Claim Form can also be found through our website:
https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-submit-claim.aspx

To find out about what is not covered under the AHCIP plan follow the link: https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-what-is-covered.aspx

If you have further questions, please contact:

Ministry of Health
Edmonton: 780-427-1432
Other areas in Alberta (toll-free): dial 310-0000 followed by 780-427-1432
Outside Alberta: 780-427-1432
Email: Health.AHCIPMail@gov.ab.ca

Our office is open Monday thru Friday (excluding holidays) from 8:15am to 4:30pm MST.

Visit our website at https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip.aspx for comprehensive health information.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:12 PM

I only got back at best from AHS $2200.00 [give or take $100.00 ]

FYI
Old 02-16-2024, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britman101 View Post
And here is the link for the video:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...es/vi-AA1leevh

Viewed it again and it is amazing what can be done if new perspectives and thinking are used in the surgical suite.

Big hint to Alberta politicians, no need to keep on tearing down the system to try and build a new one. Instead be open to new ideas and be receptive to put them into action. The big winner will be the healthcare system and patients who need surgical care.
Interesting approach, one big take away was when they mentioned that the province only gives the hospital so much money per year for hip replacements. That is a policy that I just can't understand.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevv View Post
My Mother in Law had her knee replaced in Bucerias Mexico. All went well. Check out the CMQ hospital in Bucerias. Dr. Del Toro.
Mike
I had my hip done at this same hospital by Max Greig, couldn't imagine how it could have been better.

My wife and myself spent 3 weeks in Puerto Vallarata in a nice apartment, surgery with 10 physio appoints, and two follow up visits to take care of staples and such from the surgeons office, pre surgery consultations transportation from the airport to our apartment, then to the hospital and back to the apartment for about $25000.

September 2021.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Definitely Germany sounds like a better bet than Mexico, or India, but keep in mind that a certain percentage of ALL surgical procedures have post op complications. Those cheap, quick surgeries are a great option, but a medical repatriation flight back home, in the case of a complication, can cause some pretty serious financial concerns.
This is something some of us, including myself have to start looking past. quality surgeons and facilities exist everywhere and yes its easy to say India or Mexico are not up to our standards but credentials are credentials. If a surgeon has training, expertise and qualifications it doesn't matter where they live. The hospital in Bucerias that I went to was as good and in a lot of ways better than any we have here in Alberta.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post
I only got back at best from AHS $2200.00 [give or take $100.00 ]

FYI
You were pretty darn close. Despite the out of province claims that were completed by Clearpoint adding up to $5,000, AHS sliced them back a lot. Just got my claim back from AHS, $2265, what a friggen joke. Not even 8% of the actual cost, not counting travel and accommodation. So much for the promise to pay a large chunk of having it done out of province to help catch up the back log.

As much as it really annoys me to have paid taxes all these years, and not being able to access health care when I need it for the first time, I am still happy I did not wait the 2 to 3 years it would have taken to get it done here. The improvement in mobility 4 months post surgery, and it keeps getting better, was well worth the price.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-28-2024 at 09:18 AM.