Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2016, 01:49 PM

Default Alberta's Carbon tax.

We all know there is a carbon tax coming down the pipe and the richer you are the more you are going to pay. Also rural residents are going to be hit the hardest because they have to use more fuel because biking or walking isn't possible.

My question, why isn't there Carbon credits for the amount of tree's on your land or keeping the land natural?
Old 06-02-2016, 01:58 PM

Supposedly there are ways: http://www.agritrend.com/services/ca...-overview.aspx

I haven't looked into it yet but I will

Another link: http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/ofa15056

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 06-02-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
Supposedly there are ways: http://www.agritrend.com/services/ca...-overview.aspx

I haven't looked into it yet but I will

Another link: http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/ofa15056
Good to hear.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Good to hear.
They only pay carbon credits on cultivated land( in crop land)
Pasture , treed , and hay land are ineligable.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:53 PM

Marked diesel and gas is exempt, of course. Farmers shouldn't be hard hit.

Most people will get rebates. It's an income transfer plan, pure and simple. Only non-farmer high earners are going to be hurting. 40% of Albertan's are going to pay the freight on this one, again. And again and again.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
They only pay carbon credits on cultivated land( in crop land)
Pasture , treed , and hay land are ineligable.
I was just reading that. Kind of backwards if one owns a carbon sink.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I was just reading that. Kind of backwards if one owns a carbon sink.
Yeah that doesn't make sense. A tree is a tree.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 06-02-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
Yeah that doesn't make sense. A tree is a tree.
None of this makes any sense.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

Most people will get rebates. It's an income transfer plan, pure and simple. Only non-farmer high earners are going to be hurting. 40% of Albertan's are going to pay the freight on this one, again. And again and again.
If you look at the list of what is included in the carbon tax and still believe only the high earners will be affected.....I might need what ever meds you're on....
Old 06-02-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:

Yes marked fuel is exempt. However, I can see the door slowly opening over getting rid of the 4 cent subsidy that marked fuel users receive from the gas tax. Marked fuel is gas taxed at 9 cents per litre. Unmarked fuel is gas taxed at 13 cents per litre. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if the government levelled the playing field for marked/unmarked fuel at 13 cents, but keep marked fuel exempt from the C Tax.

That's all speculation on my part, but I'm sure if I could figure that out, the government could too.

About the rebate cheques.... I'm pretty sure Shannon Phillips stood at that podium a few days ago and said that consumers with the highest rebate cheque will still see a negative impact from the C Tax of typically $60 to $120. So from my understanding, everyone will still end up in the hole from the C Tax, only some way more than others.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:22 AM

Yep Rachel gave back 4 cents of the off road tax of the 6 cents that Allison eliminated . Whoopy..
Farmers won't be hard hit , hahaha lets see 1.11$ / gig on Natural gas.
So every bushel of grain that needs dryed is automatically 1/3 more cost direct to the farmer.
Every hog barn , chicken barn, calving barn, workshop, just added 1/3 more to yearly operating overhead. This carbon scam is going to hit everyone , unfortunately for farmers they have zero control on passing that cost down to consumers because the commodity s are more or less out if thier control. If 6$ / bushel of wheat is the going price that's it , if 1.30/ lb is the going rate for a calf that's it . The fuel , heat and electricity cost go up and down regardless of market prices..
If we get a wet September and the Dryers are running the realization of a hit of 1/3 more will hit home real quick .
Hint a home rebate of 4-500$ won't mean squat if your drying 50,000 bushels of wheat.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:38 AM

Default Tax

Quote:

Most people will get rebates. It's an income transfer plan, pure and simple.
that's exactly what I see it as. we are all polluters I guess, like we can all back up to the Bow river and dump garbage in, but if you don't make too much money you can dump your sh***t in river for free.

nothing more than a tax just like it says....carbon is put in front to make us feel better about it...
Old 06-03-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
. 40% of Albertan's are going to pay the freight on this one, again. And again and again.
Agreed, every product or service will have to increase in cost, there is no doubt about that. Why call it Carbon Tax, why not just call it Tax.

Oh well I guess we'll add another LLC to the fold and get it back that way.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:02 AM

Does anyone know the price increase at the pump ?
I heard up to 15cents/ltr
Old 06-05-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 243 View Post
Does anyone know the price increase at the pump ?

I heard up to 15cents/ltr

4.5 cents/liter. Still an extra expense I don't need.

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/9705290

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2016, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Farmer View Post
Agreed, every product or service will have to increase in cost, there is no doubt about that. Why call it Carbon Tax, why not just call it Tax.

Oh well I guess we'll add another LLC to the fold and get it back that way.
I think if they just called it another tax they likely wouldn't be able to establish a whole new level of bureaucracy. This way they can hire a whole new building full of mandarins from Ontario, BC, and Quebec to oversee the "carbon tax" .
Old 06-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Banned

That's all we do is pay and to have that messy haired Snotley at the helm is just insult to injury, she should be the premier for bc, I miss Ralph, those were the glory days!!
Old 06-05-2016, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I think if they just called it another tax they likely wouldn't be able to establish a whole new level of bureaucracy. This way they can hire a whole new building full of mandarins from Ontario, BC, and Quebec to oversee the "carbon tax" .
And the same for the PST we will be seeing in a year or so..
Old 06-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Not just farmers, many heavy industry companies use Clear fuel as well, so they will also pay less of this tax, percentage wise.

In fact I suspect that if one were to add up the numbers one would find that industry gets a bigger tax break overall then farms do.
Logging equipment, road building equipment, and other off road equipment are exempt from paying the road tax and thus their percentage of carbon tax will be lower for that equipment.

That will amount to millions of dollars industry wide and that is why they will continue to be exempt and why marked fuel is here for the long term despite what some self proclaimed industry experts may say.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-06-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
And the same for the PST we will be seeing in a year or so..
I would live with a PST over a carbon tax. At least everyone pays, and it's not some convoluted Robin Hood scheme. At least one can avoid resteraunts and buy things off Kijiji to save the tax. Carbon Tax nails things you for things you can't avoid, and the 40-50 percent who will pay the brunt of the tax can't avoid it.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:35 AM

The funny thing about the tax is this: It's actually not draconian enough to do what it's designed to do. I was talking to my buddy as we were driving my V8 truck pulling my power boat to the lake (LOL), and we both agreed it wasn't severe enough to change our driving habits or general fuel use in the slightest, and he's retired. It's just another tax.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:43 AM
Banned

Governments never put taxes in place to discourage any behaviour. They put taxes in place to generate revenue from that behaviour. Period.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Governments never put taxes in place to discourage any behaviour. They put taxes in place to generate revenue from that behaviour. Period.
Also to establish another government bureaucracy to oversee & enforce these new taxes. This way they can point to all employment they've created on the backs of private sector taxpayers and businesses (which we then have to pay for in perpetuity). Don't ya just love big government?!!
Old 06-06-2016, 04:33 PM

http://www.taxoneverything.ca/

Wildrose
Tell Rachel Notley and the NDP government that Albertans deserve a say.
CALL FOR A REFERENDUM ON THE NDP'S $3-BILLION CARBON TAX, SIGN THE PETITION.

KEY FACTS:
• The carbon tax will raise the cost of heating your home by $202/year in the average household.
• A typical 2-car household will pay an extra $303/year in gasoline with the new carbon tax.
• Alberta's fuel will become more expensive than both Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
• The carbon tax and coal shutdown will also raise everyone’s power bills dramatically.
• The NDP's new carbon tax will raise the price of almost all goods and services produced in Alberta by hundreds of dollars for every family.
• The tax is not revenue neutral, meaning it simply makes the average Albertan poorer.
• This is a massive new $3 billion tax on Albertans.
• The tax will mean Albertans will pay an extra 7 cents per litre at the pumps over and above the 4 cent increase to fuel already in the provincial budget.
• The carbon tax is a direct tax on charities. It provides no rebates for charities and non-profit organizations, and will raise their costs by thousands of dollars.
• The carbon tax will raise school bus fees due to increased transportation costs.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
The thing is every time they do this, "we the people" also become creative and find a way to pay less tax in general, whether it's cash jobs or special dividends from the company. I hope they don't read this or they'll hire 1200 people to look into how people dodged 10k in taxes... oh wait a minute...
Old 06-06-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Wagon View Post
http://www.taxoneverything.ca/

Wildrose
Tell Rachel Notley and the NDP government that Albertans deserve a say.
CALL FOR A REFERENDUM ON THE NDP'S $3-BILLION CARBON TAX, SIGN THE PETITION.

KEY FACTS:
• The carbon tax will raise the cost of heating your home by $202/year in the average household.
• A typical 2-car household will pay an extra $303/year in gasoline with the new carbon tax.
• Alberta's fuel will become more expensive than both Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
• The carbon tax and coal shutdown will also raise everyone’s power bills dramatically.
• The NDP's new carbon tax will raise the price of almost all goods and services produced in Alberta by hundreds of dollars for every family.
• The tax is not revenue neutral, meaning it simply makes the average Albertan poorer.
• This is a massive new $3 billion tax on Albertans.
• The tax will mean Albertans will pay an extra 7 cents per litre at the pumps over and above the 4 cent increase to fuel already in the provincial budget.
• The carbon tax is a direct tax on charities. It provides no rebates for charities and non-profit organizations, and will raise their costs by thousands of dollars.
• The carbon tax will raise school bus fees due to increased transportation costs.
If Wildrose wants to have referendums on tax increases, do they also believe in referendums before large cuts or if they borrow a few billion? Those acts affect citizens as well.

Personally, I'm fine with the referendum we have every four years. Now if a party is advocating something that can't easily be changed in the next election, like Trudeau's proposed election changes or constitutional changes, then I support referendum in those cases.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:59 AM

http://www.630ched.com/2016/06/07/ne...e-change-bill/

The province’s climate change bill kept MLAs at the legislature until 4am Tuesday, with the NDP rejecting all major amendments to Bill 20.

Alberta Party leader Greg Clark was there all night and says the outcome is disappointing.

“There’s a $3.4-billion allocation for quote other initiatives,” explains Clark. “We don’t know what the money is going to be spent on in the next five years. What is the energy efficiency agency going to do with its $645-million? These are tremendously large amounts of money, with no details.”

“If we want to address climate change and reduce carbon emissions, I think it’s the right tool, so long as it’s truly revenue neutral. By that I mean we see offsetting cuts to personal income tax and corporate tax. I tried to bring exactly that amendment, and of course the NDs voted it down,”

Clark says without the offsetting cuts tax increases for Albertans are mounting.

“It feels like its death by a thousand tax increases,” explains Clark. “You’ve got a carbon tax and for restaurant owners and small business owners, the minimum wage, that cumulative impact.”

Clark says the opposition forced the spring sitting to extend beyond last week’s planned adjournment seeking to improve the Climate Change Act but to no avail.

“We in the opposition brought more than 20 amendments and unfortunately, the NDs voted down all but one and the only one accepted was a fairly small technical amendment that really didn’t change anything,” explains Clark. “It is disappointing that we tried to make the bill better but they rejected every attempt we made.”

Clark says the carbon tax is just another load Albertans are being asked to bear

“If you’re in the agriculture world, the cost of implementing Bill 6, the farm changes is certainly a consideration,” explains Clark. “And yes, we’ve seen some significant property tax hikes on the city side as well.”

MLAs will be back in their seats at 10am Tuesday for third and final reading of the bill.

There is little the opposition can do to block the bill at third reading so the legislature is expected to adjourn for the summer around noon.

Premier Rachel Notley expects to pass the first components of a climate change strategy this week.

Alberta is implementing a broad-based carbon tax in January and plans to cap oilsands emissions and phase out coal-fired electricity.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:13 AM
Banned

Thanks unions and "professional associations" for this.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:35 PM

so how to we stop her? i hate the ndp ,always have ,always will , i'm in for coupe d'tat if you guys are .
Old 06-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
Thanks unions and "professional associations" for this.
I just saw that the PC's voted with the NDP on the tax....??????