Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2019, 10:31 PM

Default Bags vs Quilts

Does anyone have experience using both of these? I’m not a real comfortable ground sleeper, and have yet to find a sleeping bag I like. I tend to sleep warm and like a bit of space so I’m thinking quilt. For those that have used them do you have any regrets going to one? Thanks.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-10-2019, 10:59 PM

I have never tried one but thinking about giving one a try.
I like to have my shoulders and back covered but my legs get hot in moderate weather camping. It looks like lots of quilts come with straps to strap them up. I was worried about heat loss through sleeping pad but really if using a down bag the compressed down isn't giving much loft anyhow and most of the r-value would be in the pad anyways.

I think they would be good up to mid season. Also look like they shave a bit of weight of which is always a bonus.
Traditional mummy style bag I find I work my way out of the bag in the night anyhow because my legs get too hot.
For cold weather I think I will stick to a mummy bag but I just like the idea of having something good for warm weather that can also be wrapped up for cooler weather.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:17 AM

I unzip my bag if it’s warm enough. Gives me a sore shoulder and knees cramped up in the mummy bag.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:10 AM

More often than naught I find myself unzipping my bag and using it as a blanket over me. I spent a large portion of my life sleeping in bags(at least 3 years if not more) and to this day find it the most comfortable way for me to get a good night sleep!
Old 02-11-2019, 10:18 AM

I am also looking at a quilt. The trick is apparently is you need the crinkly high r value sleeping pad. R5 or better or you will be cold and hate a quilt. I too like a leg poking out for thermal regulation but need my shoulders covered or I don't feel all tucked in. I also hate feeling restricted and am a side sleeper, so I should love a quilt. No first hand experience, just lots of research.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:01 AM
Banned

I think it’s a 6 one, half a dozen the other between the two.

I too am upgrading my sleeping gear for the out doors.

I’m going with an Exped mat, and wide sleeping bag so I can move around in.

I set up my truck beautifully to sleep in the back, and those are the two areas I need an upgrade to.

As I write this though, I cannot help but feel that quilts are more for trailers and RV’s and the glamping lifestyles.

With a bag, it still feels like camping.

Get what makes you comfortable.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
The trick is apparently is you need the crinkly high r value sleeping pad. R5 or better or you will be cold and hate a quilt.
Not sure about the quilt part as I have never actually used one. There is no need to deal with the "chip bag crinkle" of a mat though. Have a look at the exped mats. I have been using the synmat 7 for a few years now. Not the lightest out there (down versions are lighter) but it is comfortable and warm. Best part is it is silent to sleep on as well.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:44 PM

I got a quilt as part of my scheme to go ultralight.
I pretty much got a bag for every season. My quilt is for summer/ fall in the mountains.

Pretty much a blanket with stretchy cords underneath to keep attached to thermarest. Supposedly saves half the weight of a mummy bag.
The theory is you don’t need insulation underneath you cuz it’s provided by thermarest.
But a lot more heat leaves the bottom due to the ground is perpetually cold in the mountains.

Even got a top of the line one from http://https://enlightenedequipment....lation-quilts/

Regrets? Eh, it’s different. Game changer? No
Somehow a foot or an arm sneaks out and gets pretty chilly on top of a mountain.

I think the older you get, the ground just gets less comfortable.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:04 PM

Camping in the RV, I use a old light sleeping bag as a quilt. Wall tent, I have a xtra large -40 bag. I like to sleep on my side and the bag has enough room to turn. Bit of over kill but I bought the bag before I got a wall tent and we slept under the truck canopy out hunting. Sleep with the zipper open in the tent unless it's real cold outside of the tent. Works good on the over sized cot.

What I find with the quilt way, sooner or later you always seem to have a cold spot as your move around in the night.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:37 PM

I use 2 light bags zipped together to form one man sized bag. It's the only thing I've found comfortable.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Even got a top of the line one from http://https://enlightenedequipment....lation-quilts/

Regrets? Eh, it’s different. Game changer? No

Somehow a foot or an arm sneaks out and gets pretty chilly on top of a mountain.
I looked at these but the odd drawstring closure for the footbox really turned me off. Do you find it lets in some cold or really not a big issue (might be nice to vent sometimes)?
Old 02-12-2019, 12:13 PM

yeah there is a small hole at the bottom after you cinch up the foot box. Great for those stinky feet lol.

But it’s so bunched up, you probably have a better r rating at your feet.

If anyone wanted to trade a high quality hammock for the quilt, I’d be interested. It’s down.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
yeah there is a small hole at the bottom after you cinch up the foot box. Great for those stinky feet lol.

But it’s so bunched up, you probably have a better r rating at your feet.

If anyone wanted to trade a high quality hammock for the quilt, I’d be interested. It’s down.
Good to know I will put it back on the list for next time I'm in the market.

If I had a high quality hammock I would definitely take you up on that offer. I however don't care for the hammock camping and as such only have tents.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:13 AM

years ago when we used to use a wall tent for our hunting camp I would always use a sheep's wool quilt my mother hand made, all my friends used their 5 star military rated for -50 sleeping bags, I was the only one that never got cold when the fire went out , in 30 or 40 below weather , it was bulky but it still was and is the warmest I ever knew of for cold weather camping
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 02-13-2019, 07:43 PM
Banned

I tried a quilt and really couldn’t get into it. I enjoy being enclosed in the sleeping bag, up to my head and neck. I’d definitely try out a quilt and see if it’s for you. Make sure you can return it before you buy, as some are made specific to your preferences. To me, as a cold and finicky sleeper, the need to wear a hat at night to be warm enough to sleep isn’t something I’d like to have to do. But I know for the sake of weight a lot of people love quilts for their ultralight properties, as they are half the material of a traditional bag. Really it cones done to your preference. My 2¢.