Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-01-2014, 09:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Marlin 1895 GBL

Thinking of purchasing this rifle, anyone have one? Is it a quality lever action, calibre is what I like for a camp, 150yard big game rifle, I also reload so thought there too, scoped out with? Just throw around a few ideas so I can learn from your past experiences. Thanks

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-01-2014, 09:22 AM

I shot my deer this past November with my 1895GS

Fine gun but learn about it strengths and weaknesses.

I bring it camping with me in the mountains.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:26 AM

I wouldn't bet my life on one of the new Remlins, get an older Marlin with the JM stamp or better yet, buy a new production Winchester 45-70.
I have had many of the Marlin 45-70's, some of them had the dreaded Marlin jam, that will never happen with a Winchester or Browning 45-70.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
I wouldn't bet my life on one of the new Remlins, get an older Marlin with the JM stamp or better yet, buy a new production Winchester 45-70.
I have had many of the Marlin 45-70's, some of them had the dreaded Marlin jam, that will never happen with a Winchester or Browning 45-70.
I've fired about 100 rounds thru my Remlin.
Haven't had any issues.
Also it's something a smith can fix up real easy.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
Just got off other forums regarding this rifle and many levers jam when not completely cycled. I will look around for an older version but you would think if Marlin had a issue they would fix it for free?

Old 03-01-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Thinking of purchasing this rifle, anyone have one? Is it a quality lever action, calibre is what I like for a camp, 150yard big game rifle, I also reload so thought there too, scoped out with? Just throw around a few ideas so I can learn from your past experiences. Thanks
Had one , loved it , sold it , regret it . I had mine without a scope . It is a hefty little gun and the scope just doesn't look right on a lever to me. I had a small red dot for a while but went back to a williams peep which I liked. Took one Buck with it up in 353 and it was outstanding That deer was upside down so quick ... The best part is that it did not do near the meat damage that a 308 does . I assume that is partly because of the slower moving bullet . I bought another 45 70 now , only in a single shot . It is a nice caliber, but if you are recoil sensitive be prepared. similar to slugs out of a 12ga
Old 03-01-2014, 04:54 PM

Yes but I can reload accordingly from oh my freakin god to wow that was comfortable. Just need more info on this rifle,likes or dislikes, reliability etc every bit of info helps so thanks.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:21 PM

I have a stainless remlington in 45-70 with an FX3 six power on a grim reaper one piece moount, I really like it. Honest 2" at 100 yds with leverevolution factory loads. Groups really open up with max loaded 350 rns but that could be me flinching as this gun hits hard. The gun functions very well and I don't care how it looks with a scope, my eyes are too old to hunt with buckhorns.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
I have a stainless remlington in 45-70 with an FX3 six power on a grim reaper one piece moount, I really like it. Honest 2" at 100 yds with leverevolution factory loads. Groups really open up with max loaded 350 rns but that could be me flinching as this gun hits hard. The gun functions very well and I don't care how it looks with a scope, my eyes are too old to hunt with buckhorns.

My 1895SDT does 1-1/4" with full power 350gr flat nose loads, but it certainly isn't much fun to shoot those loads.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:08 PM

Mine is a pre remlin in an 1895 cowboy with the octagon barrel. When I first bought it I was using Hornady 350 gr RN. Now I am using the 325 gr. Leverevolutions. Getting under 2" groups at a 100.