Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-23-2021, 03:23 PM

Old 01-23-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
I have all the listed calibers except 6.5, I'm sure that they all would do what you want cant speak to the 6.5 as I havent shot one yet,me thinks the 270 might be a little light for your moose /bear and the 7mm while certainly a good shooter maybe a little over kill on deer(reads meat loss with less than optimum placement).My biggest concern is if you are out on a hunt, ammo availibility, not every little hardware (co-op) is gonna have 7mm 6.5 or 270 however you can be sure they will have either 308 or 30-06 in at least 3 wieghts or more. These will do all the things you wish to do and very well with a little practice and the cost will be minimal by comparison. Myself I shoot a 375H&H for all the above creatures but I also handload and this makes It viable for me 175$ for 20 over the counter. You should do your homework as you are, and try some out from guys who have them,thats what I used to do do.

Heh?? 270 is light for moose and bear? Really?

And 7mm blows up deer? Really?

Do you hunt?

And fyi, if the ammunition sellers You frequent don't have 7mm in stock, try the 7-11 down the road.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:14 PM

Evey flippin thread like this I read the line about the need to be buying ammo in some small town as being a major consideration. I have been hunting for over 55 years, I have never once bought ammo of any kind, even shotgun, on a hunt. I don't know a single person that has either. Is there even one person on here that has out of necessity?
Old 01-23-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Evey flippin thread like this I read the line about the need to be buying ammo in some small town as being a major consideration. I have been hunting for over 55 years, I have never once bought ammo of any kind, even shotgun, on a hunt. I don't know a single person that has either. Is there even one person on here that has out of necessity?
Me neither, but my ******* friend has had to go home because he forgot ammo. Lol.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Shooter View Post
Looking for the pros and cons of these 3 calibers and only these 3!

6.5 Creedmor
270 Win
7mm rem mag

This would be for hunting deer, elk and moose. No bear and no coyotes. Terrain would be mostly open with possibly some bush. Shots up to 300 yards, possibly longer for target shooting and practice.
Although I doubt thousands of rounds will go through the rifle, barrel life is on my mind.
Other thoughts are - flat shooter, recoil, availability of factory ammo and reloading component selection.
I'm sure I have missed a few other considerations so please let me know - not about calibers though! These are the top 3.

Make and model of rifle would be determined after caliber.
Thanks to all who chime in.
The 7 mag is the right choice, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a girls gun, the 270 is a geezer gun.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Me neither, but my ******* friend has had to go home because he forgot ammo. Lol.

I think I might know who you're talking about.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
The 7 mag is the right choice, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a girls gun, the 270 is a geezer gun.

I was right there with you until the geezer shot.
But you shoot. 303 ya little trend setter.

btw...Julius Caesar called. He wants his rifle back.

Last edited by 270person; 01-23-2021 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Evey flippin thread like this I read the line about the need to be buying ammo in some small town as being a major consideration. I have been hunting for ov shoots a .375 er 55 years, I have never once bought ammo of any kind, even shotgun, on a hunt. I don't know a single person that has either. Is there even one person on here that has out of necessity?

It's truly painful. The 1970's discussion redux.

Funniest part was him saying he shoots 375 HH but he reloads so its all good. Everyone else should buy an 06 or 08. In case you run out of ammo in Peers or Darwell.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Shooter View Post
Looking for the pros and cons of these 3 calibers and only these 3!

6.5 Creedmor
270 Win
7mm rem mag

Other thoughts are - flat shooter, recoil, availability of factory ammo and reloading component selection.
I like the 6.5, although all three will do the job. 6.5 is a flat shooter, recoil is very manageable (so manageable, some call it a "girls gun" ), ammo is available anywhere I've ever looked, no comment on reloading. And when it comes to selecting a rifle, there are alot of choices available, more so than the other two IMO, especially for new guns.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I like the 6.5, although all three will do the job. 6.5 is a flat shooter, recoil is very manageable (so manageable, some call it a "girls gun" ), ammo is available anywhere I've ever looked, no comment on reloading. And when it comes to selecting a rifle, there are alot of choices available, more so than the other two IMO, especially for new guns.

100% incorrect in the last sentence.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:22 PM

I love it when guys say an opinion is wrong.

Have any evidence to suggest more new guns are offered in 7 mm Rem. Mag. than the 6.5 CM?
Old 01-23-2021, 06:45 PM

At 22 years old if he can’t handle a 7 rem mag he probably never will. Although I realize that the other guns will also do the job there will come a time when you are glad you have the extra horsepower. I always try to think if there was a 200 inch white tail at 250 yards or 380 inch bull at 300 yards what would I be glad I had it in my hands? 7 rem mag every time.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I love it when guys say an opinion is wrong.

Have any evidence to suggest more new guns are offered in 7 mm Rem. Mag. than the 6.5 CM?

I love it when guys asking for opinions on which new $400.00 shotgun to buy think they know which big game cartridge to suggest. You have any to suggest more hunting rifles, which the OP listed as primary use, are made in CM? Is it even a popularly used cartridge for Ab big game? I haven't run into one hunter using one on any of my elk/moose hunts. A couple for deer. Zero for bear.

And what would the relevance of it being chambered in more rifles mean anyways? There's more Ford's on the road than Mercedes too. That make them better rides? 223 and .308 are at the top of the centre fire ammunition manufactured pile. Does that mean they're the best options for a rifle purchase?

There's a forum opinion on certain cartridges because lots hunt AND target shoot, and then theres the reality of what they use when they're hunting. Lots of guys here shooting CM at the range where they excel. For hunting a whole lot less and theres reasons for that.

So tell me why you'd even suggest it as the #1 option. I think you gave the guy a bum steer to be honest. Odds are if he goes with your suggestion he'll want to move up in bullet size within a year. Not many would be on the "if i could hunt just one cartridge in Ab it'd be a CM" train.

Probably the third best option he asked about, and it'd be 5th if he'd thrown 30-06 and .300 win mag into the equation.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:22 PM

Could have just said, "No, it's just my opinion", lot less typing....
Old 01-23-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Could have just said, "No, it's just my opinion", lot less typing....

Yes you're right. But I overkill everything. Probably why I use a 7mm to "blow up" deer but hey, we all love what we shoot ourselves.

In all seriousness, and imo only, I dont think there's a whole lot of cartridges more suited to shooting anything that walks on 4 legs in Alberta. Arguments could be made for the 300's but I dont have much experience shooting them and they can be a bit of a rough ride
Old 01-23-2021, 10:21 PM

Default any of these calibers will do what you asked for!

just a matter of personal preference.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
It's truly painful. The 1970's discussion redux.

Funniest part was him saying he shoots 375 HH but he reloads so its all good. Everyone else should buy an 06 or 08. In case you run out of ammo in Peers or Darwell.
Yeah, I giggled at that too. The 7mm that blows deer apart was developed from what parent case again? Why I believe it’s a .375 H&H. 😀
Old 01-23-2021, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post

270 cuz I'm a geezer
Old 01-24-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Yeah, I giggled at that too. The 7mm that blows deer apart was developed from what parent case again? Why I believe it’s a .375 H&H. 😀
The big thing to keep in mind is that any of these three cartridges will work just fine at 300 meters , all three are available in any of your acerage gun shops , and all three are readily available in factory built rifles anywhere.

The bottom line in anything like this is that the nut behind the bolt needs to be able to shoot, have confidence in the equipment and able to shoot the equipment they choose .

Cat
Old 01-24-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I love it when guys asking for opinions on which new $400.00 shotgun to buy think they know which big game cartridge to suggest. You have any to suggest more hunting rifles, which the OP listed as primary use, are made in CM? Is it even a popularly used cartridge for Ab big game? I haven't run into one hunter using one on any of my elk/moose hunts. A couple for deer. Zero for bear.

And what would the relevance of it being chambered in more rifles mean anyways? There's more Ford's on the road than Mercedes too. That make them better rides? 223 and .308 are at the top of the centre fire ammunition manufactured pile. Does that mean they're the best options for a rifle purchase?

There's a forum opinion on certain cartridges because lots hunt AND target shoot, and then theres the reality of what they use when they're hunting. Lots of guys here shooting CM at the range where they excel. For hunting a whole lot less and theres reasons for that.

So tell me why you'd even suggest it as the #1 option. I think you gave the guy a bum steer to be honest. Odds are if he goes with your suggestion he'll want to move up in bullet size within a year. Not many would be on the "if i could hunt just one cartridge in Ab it'd be a CM" train.

Probably the third best option he asked about, and it'd be 5th if he'd thrown 30-06 and .300 win mag into the equation.
Have you ever shot a 6.5 CM?

-Billy Molls
Old 01-24-2021, 09:31 AM

.270 win
Old 01-24-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Does he need to shoot one to read a ballistics table?

Btw, I have owned one and liked it just fine. Will likely have another at some point.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

Owned one for 2 years. You have a point? Can't be that its the optimum choice for large ungulates and the biggest bears because you've already stated the 30-06 owns that honor.

Feel free to educate me on how the CM is a better hunting and killing cartridge for Alberta game sized whitetail to grizzly and bison than the 25's, other 264's, any of the 277's, 284's, .308's, 338's, 358's and 375's.

Not gongs at 400+ chuck. Just normal hunting conditions experienced by 95% of Alberta hunters.

For the record I've got nothing against the CM or anyone that chooses to hunt with one. I do believe in best recommends for the game being hunted though vs the "capable of in the tight hands" discussion.

If you believe strongly that there are better recommends for all-round, hunting "anything" in Alberta than the 7mm's or .300 wm fire away. Just opinions right?

Last edited by 270person; 01-24-2021 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The big thing to keep in mind is that any of these three cartridges will work just fine at 300 meters , all three are available in any of your acerage gun shops , and all three are readily available in factory built rifles anywhere.

The bottom line in anything like this is that the nut behind the bolt needs to be able to shoot, have confidence in the equipment and able to shoot the equipment they choose .

Cat
I agree 100% with your post. I was just saying that I giggled at the fella that said the 7mm rem mags blow deer apart, then he states that he uses a .375 H&H. Well a 7mm Rem Mag is essentially a necked down .375 H&H. I found that amusing.

Of the three I would go with the 7mm personally. Ballistically it will compete quite well with the 6.5. It likely has the heaviest bullets available; having the .270 within a few grains however. It likely has the highest muzzle velocity. It likely has the most energy at 300 yards. It also has the widest pill, but once again very comparable to a .270. That is why I’d choose the 7mm. If it’s not the leader in most categories it’s a close second. The only disadvantage the 7mm has is recoil, with the .270 fairly close behind.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I agree 100% with your post. I was just saying that I giggled at the fella that said the 7mm rem mags blow deer apart, then he states that he uses a .375 H&H. Well a 7mm Rem Mag is essentially a necked down .375 H&H. I found that amusing.

Of the three I would go with the 7mm personally. Ballistically it will compete quite well with the 6.5. It likely has the heaviest bullets available; having the .270 within a few grains however. It likely has the highest muzzle velocity. It likely has the most energy at 300 yards. It also has the widest pill, but once again very comparable to a .270. That is why I’d choose the 7mm. If it’s not the leader in most categories it’s a close second. The only disadvantage the 7mm has is recoil, with the .270 fairly close behind.

I own and shoot both and don't notice an appreciable difference between 270. 7mm, and friends 06's for recoil. All right in the ballpark and rifle weight and stock have as much to do with it as anything else. Don't really feel a bump in recoil until the 300 mags come into play.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
If I read its for your son. A 240 is a light mag. Probably less recoil than a 7mm mag which is more like a .30-06.

I vote 6.5cm for light short action. Upcoming popularity. Can grow into it and learn to be comfortable.

If a time comes he wants a mag, he can upgrade to a magnum after learning on a lower recoil platform.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Nailed it. Let your son learn on something that isn't going to beat him up. I have the 6.5 and the 7mm, the 7mm is my go to hunting and shooting rifle but if I just want to have fun shooting I take the 6.5. Practice and quality ammo will make the biggest difference of those 3.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:09 PM

What about the difference in the cost of factory ammo? Which one of three is less expensive? I do not reload, so that is out.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Owned one for 2 years. You have a point? Can't be that its the optimum choice for large ungulates and the biggest bears because you've already stated the 30-06 owns that honor.

Feel free to educate me on how the CM is a better hunting and killing cartridge for Alberta game sized whitetail to grizzly and bison than the 25's, other 264's, any of the 277's, 284's, .308's, 338's, 358's and 375's.

Not gongs at 400+ chuck. Just normal hunting conditions experienced by 95% of Alberta hunters.

For the record I've got nothing against the CM or anyone that chooses to hunt with one. I do believe in best recommends for the game being hunted though vs the "capable of in the tight hands" discussion.

If you believe strongly that there are better recommends for all-round, hunting "anything" in Alberta than the 7mm's or .300 wm fire away. Just opinions right?
The list of “all around” big game cartridges are as long as your arm. Cartridge selection, in reality, is largely moot. If it wasn’t so, and there actually were a few cartridges that were miles ahead of the rest, there would be no cartridge selection arguments. We would all be shooting the same thing.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-24-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I was right there with you until the geezer shot.
But you shoot. 303 ya little trend setter.

btw...Julius Caesar called. He wants his rifle back.
I have shot the 270 since the 70's, just got bored of it.
Should have kept my 6.5-300 Weatherby..........................
Old 01-26-2021, 09:24 PM

I couldn't resist weighing in on this as I do alot of moose hunting and unfortunately have caught the bug on owning way too many calibers for no truly good reason, especially if you ask the wife.

For starters... the top calibers that you will find at any Co-op gas station generally will be (not in order) 223, 30-30, 303, 308, 243, 270, 30-06, 7 rem mag and 300 win mag. Why? Pretty simple... they are 9 of the 10 top selling cartridges. I can't remember what the last one was. So you generally won't find a 6.5 CM or 6.5 PRC, etc. And when I used to hunt with a group of friends, we used to keep 1 box of shells in the glove box that had 4 x 308, 300 mag, 270, 30-30 and 280 shells in it. Why? Cause 3 of us hunted with 300s, and 1 each of the other. And as surprised as i was when it happened once... 1 of the guys left hone with no ammo and that box of various shells came in handy. So I can understand wanting that little bit of comfort, but all I can say is make sure your ammo and rifle are the first things out the door lol.

On the calibers side, currently ownjng between 1-6 guns in those calibers and about 65-70 rifles at the moment (yeah its an addiction) here is all I can say is... If you think a 7 or 300 magnum destroys more meat than a common calibers like a 270 or a 308... are you ever mistaken. To this day I cringe taking one of my 270s out because it ruined so much mule deer meat compared to my 300 mag and I couldn't figure it out. Took me a bit to figure out that I was reloading my 300s with premium bullets (noslers or Barnes tsx) versus fragile bullets in the 270 (loaded by a friend for me) which resulted in massive fragmentation and the ruining of meat. So run a premium bullet for hunting such as a Barnes ttsx and don't worry about grenadining bullets.

Shoot what you can handle. I love my 300s (300 win mag, 300 RUM, 300 Weatherby, 30-378, 300 WSM and it's not like it's I only own 1 in that caliber. Think I have 6 - 300 WM). My friend loves his 338s and will take his 416 Rigby deer hunting for the fun of it. But he "rolls" with max loads in that 416 as if he's shooting a 22 and I am envious as hell. Pick the one you like and practice. If you shoot out the barrel, well thats the best thing you can do and you can either rebarrel or buy more guns. Carefull very very slippery slope LMAO speaking from experience. If you could afford it, I would say buy a 6.5 for practicing (and handload) and a 7 mag with 150 gr Barnes TTSX bullets and your set for everything in North America. A friends daughter stands 5'9"tall and 130 lbs. Skinny as a rail and she shoots a 300 win mag BUT she practices with her 22, 308 and 270. For deer she will take her 270 or 300 but when it's moose or elk out comes the 300.

Moose are babies. I'm originally from Manitoba and grew up spoiled as hell hunting moose. If you didn't get drawn, you went east of highway. If you were drawn you bought a tag and went west. Until I moved to SK, I had shot more moose than deer. I gotta admit I was/am a lousy deer hunter but i have fantastic luck on moose as somehow I just understand the damn things lol. Elk can take a hit, even a good one and can run. Any shot with ANY caliber, including a 22 can kill something. But the second you miss your target a bit, a cartridge with more hitting power can help. But a 6.5 or 7 rem mag in a deer,elk or moose's hindquarters and your still chasing it for miles.

If you get drawn for elk, then having a little more hitting power is nice BUT not necessary if you get close. When I go with friends for elk, it's ironic that if there's a 300+ yard shot then the one guy who shoots a 308 which is EVERY bit the equivalent of a 6.5 CM (splitting a few hairs but basically the same), tells me to take the stand and he takes where it's a 250 yd or less shot because he knows his gun and cartridge as he has used the same gun for 40 years and the guy can shoot!!!

If your willing to put in the time to practice go with the 7 mm or a 300 and be done with it. BUT... you need/should have a smaller cartridge to practice with. Even plinking with a 22. If you aren't going to practice then a 270/30-06 are great all around cartridges. But still practice. They just don't have the reach of a magnum but as long as you realize it when in the field that's all that matters.

I'll leave you with a last example... I shot at a cow elk at 450 yards with my 280 Ackley improved and I misjudged the wind, or pulled it slightly. I broke the front leg (literally 8 inches from a perfect shot) and I tracked that elk for 4 hours and 3 miles before I pushed her out to that friend who shot her with his 308 at 50 yards. 2 days later I shot a 6x6 bull elk that was running across a grain field at a little more than 300 yards with my 300 RUM and watched it fold as if hit with a sledgehammer. Deer hunting with a friend, he shot his buck at 1140 yards with his 7 mm-08 and it dropped about 10 yards from where he hit it. In each case, being able to place the bullet is key and practicing is huge! If you shoot out a barrel, for $500-$600 installed depending on gunsmith and what barrel manufacturer (and quality) and you will have developed the knowledge on that gun and caliber as to what shots you can and cannot make in the field.