Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-06-2020, 04:41 PM

resized a out a bunch of random 308 ammo to shoot in a new to me Winchester M70 match rifle.
Going to load a bunch of 6.5 Creedmoor tonight as well.
Cat
Old 12-06-2020, 05:06 PM

How did the new trigger work in that rifle Cat?

-Billy Molls
Old 12-06-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
How did the new trigger work in that rifle Cat?
The new trigger is fantastic! However I sold that rifle to a friend who wanted to get into the long range target game,, and soo I sold him the rifle with the Redfield Palma sights and the MK4 16X as well.
This rifle is a different one, 1977 vintage, and it already had a Canjar match trigger in it, but I had to set it up.
Cat
Old 12-06-2020, 05:15 PM

Set up the sizing dies for the kids 6.5x55(had barrel changed)
Pulled 11 rounds of 140 Cinchaga’s, that wouldn’t chamber in this new tube.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-06-2020, 06:06 PM

Vacuumed up some spilled powder and shot.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:12 PM
Banned

Hung a shelf to organize a bit better. Organized and condensed ammo boxes from rifles I no longer own. Plus loaded 20 7mmRM , 28 243, 20 6.5 CM, and adjusted seating depth on some 308 loaded for one rifle but testing in another as the rifle is sold.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:14 PM

I put a box of Herters 300 win mag on the shelf, found a Savage accutrigger tool for a fellow AO member and closed the door
Old 12-06-2020, 08:33 PM

Not the intended use of my reloading room but being in the doghouse I slept on the reloading room floor...

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-06-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
Not the intended use of my reloading room but being in the doghouse I slept on the reloading room floor...
Lol!

Thats precisely why you should always store your sleeping bag and air mattress in the gun room......and food and beer too.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Lol!

Thats precisely why you should always store your sleeping bag and air mattress in the gun room......and food and beer too.
With those good treats he may stay i there for bad behaviour or may not want to leave.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazIce View Post
I love this thread. I bought my reloading gear and love the ideas this thread gives me.

I have a question. Does reloading room temps play a role in performance? Im thinking about using my garage as my current house doesn’t have the room to dedicate a room or space to reloading. So if I did reloading in the garage in the spring, temps being 10-13 degrees, would I see a variable if I went to reload in said garage in the early summer with temps in the 18-22 degree range?

Im thinking yes since the explosion is fuelled by oxygen after initial spark. So if I reloaded in colder temps, oxygen is denser, so I would see a slightly faster load in this circumstance?

And if I my thinking right, does it even matter? I know in engines it matters. I just haven’t noticed this topic come up much. Humidity comes up for sure. Also issues with max loads and pressure (loading in cold and then firing in the summer). That last part suggests there may be some truth to the air ratio idea...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Id be more concerned with the humidity In a garage. If vehicles are not coming and going then it Be ok.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220 swift View Post
with those good treats he may stay i there for bad behaviour or may not want to leave.
😄😄😄😄😄😄😄
Old 12-07-2020, 12:29 AM

I did not do anything in my reloading room today.
Because I don't have to.
I already have loads developed for all my cartridges.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:17 AM

Prepped and loaded up some .223 rounds with 40gr Berger’s for coyotes. I figured I should probably start calling and did a gear check/prep. I had two, yes, that’s right; a paltry two rounds. Stock on hand is now back to where it should be.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:15 AM

I pressed a few rounds for my pump .243. I did a proper charge test and backed off when it was hard to open the action. Found an accurate round at 34.5 gr of varget under a 100 gr partition. I’m gonna chrono these rounds next outing but I got thinking, is that on the slow side? I never thought of it when I started reloading and I have plinking ammo and hunting ammo for this pump. I like using it for deer but I didn’t have a chrono when I first started reloading. Anyone have other experience with 100 gr .243 loads?

I also got ammo ready to head out and shoot at the range. I am recently laid off so I’ll have more trigger time. Also put together a shopping list for my low supplies.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Step 4. The next step is putting new primers into the cases. Pretty self explanatory...

Step 5. Time to charge the case with powder. In this case, 22.0gr of H-110. Time for fun with my new toy!

Step 6. Time to seat the bullet in the case. Here, we want to seat it so the over all length (OAL) is right around 1.600”.

Step 7. The last step involves giving the case a crimp at the top. This is so the bullet doesn’t shift in the case. In my case, I’m shooting these out of a tube fed lever gun. There’s 10 in the magazine stacked head to base. You don’t want that bullet moving during recoil when shooting. What I do after I seat the bullet is feel the case edge. It should feel “sharp”. Then I crimp and feel it again. It should be smooth with the edge being crimped.

Sorry, this is probably hard to see that crimp.

And that is the final product. A .44 magnum cartridge ready to shoot. And do you remember that picture at the beginning? That fired case that didn’t fit into the case guage? Here’s the final product in the case guage that shows a perfect fit and length.

Btw, this is what I shoot these out of...

Marlin 1894 with the 20” barrel.

So this load gives really good performance. Using H-110 powder means you’re loading close to maximum. The characteristic of this powder is either all or nothing. Well, sort of.

I started with a charge weight of 23.5gr. The speeds I was getting were just over 1700fps. A stout load. A bear load. Hard on the shoulder load. Kind of hard on the gun too.

So I decided to lighten it up a bit. I now load 22.0gr with the 240gr XTP bullet. Velocity is now around 1660fps. Still a really good bear load. Still kind of hard on my shoulder when shooting around a hundred rounds a trip.

I am thinking of getting some lighter bullets and loading down with some .44 special rounds for plinking.
Thanks for the main write up, I have a Rossi M92 in 44 mag that I’ll be reloading for in the near future. Where did you get that case gauge? Seems like a handy tool to have.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:17 AM

Finally cleaned my bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2020, 11:30 AM

Well I've been picking away at getting my reloading area set up in my new place the past couple of weeks. In my last place I didn't have room for a proper setup and basically stored everything in 4 Rubbermaid totes and adapted my press and trimmer to clamp to whatever flat surface I could find to use as a temporary work bench. It worked, but was a pain in the arse at times! Now I have a 2ft deep x 5ft long bench with a galvanized sheet metal top where I'll permanently mount my press. Above this I have 3 Mastercraft cabinets which nicely hold all of my tools and components with some extra room for expansion down the road.

I'm looking for ideas on how and where to mount my RCBS case trimmer 2 so it's somewhat out of the way but still accessible. How have others addressed this?
Old 12-08-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
I pressed a few rounds for my pump .243. I did a proper charge test and backed off when it was hard to open the action. Found an accurate round at 34.5 gr of varget under a 100 gr partition. I’m gonna chrono these rounds next outing but I got thinking, is that on the slow side? I never thought of it when I started reloading and I have plinking ammo and hunting ammo for this pump. I like using it for deer but I didn’t have a chrono when I first started reloading. Anyone have other experience with 100 gr .243 loads?

I also got ammo ready to head out and shoot at the range. I am recently laid off so I’ll have more trigger time. Also put together a shopping list for my low supplies.
In my two bolt action rifles I run the 95 gr partition over 35gr of varget at 2980fps. Both rifles shoot sub moa and within 30fps of each other.( one is a savage 11 and the other is a browning micro midas) my wife killed a cow Elk with her browning at 230 yds this year.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:22 AM

I did a much needed clean up and pulled out my recurve bow again. I do need to do a bit of load development for a my lever guns and some finishing stock work on a rifle in fitting for my 11 year old..
Old 12-08-2020, 06:25 PM

Today was a great day,my Spolar shotshell loader finally arrived.Went together so smooth and flat out worked like it should from the first pull of the handle.Looking forward to tomorrow to get serious about it !!
Old 12-08-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
In my two bolt action rifles I run the 95 gr partition over 35gr of varget at 2980fps. Both rifles shoot sub moa and within 30fps of each other.( one is a savage 11 and the other is a browning micro midas) my wife killed a cow Elk with her browning at 230 yds this year.
Thanks for the response, I was looking at my data today for it and scratching my head. I haven’t got out to shoot yet so I don’t know my velocity. But with your reply it makes me feel a bit better. Nice shooting on that cow elk, sounds like you have the right set up.

I went to buy more 100gr partitions and p and d was out. They had a mountain of 95 gr. I may make the switch after I shoot off this box, if I haven’t found any more that is. Just seems like no one is using the 95’ers
Old 12-08-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Thanks for the response, I was looking at my data today for it and scratching my head. I haven’t got out to shoot yet so I don’t know my velocity. But with your reply it makes me feel a bit better. Nice shooting on that cow elk, sounds like you have the right set up.

I went to buy more 100gr partitions and p and d was out. They had a mountain of 95 gr. I may make the switch after I shoot off this box, if I haven’t found any more that is. Just seems like no one is using the 95’ers
95 ers are all I can usually find locally as well. Which is why I use em lol. In our guns they are accurate and deadly. I don't often grab the 243 when a big game tag is in my pocket as I have larger calibers to choose from but my Wife always grabs her lil 243 when she goes out killin. She shoots lights out with that thing
Old 12-08-2020, 08:17 PM

Cleaned a few cases. Wet tumbled, no pins.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-08-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
Today was a great day,my Spolar shotshell loader finally arrived.Went together so smooth and flat out worked like it should from the first pull of the handle.Looking forward to tomorrow to get serious about it !!
The Spolar is quite a machine. What gauges are you loading ?
Old 12-08-2020, 09:08 PM

Finally made it out to the range to day (To heck with the wind) Looks like my time was well spent on this 6mm International... looks like it is a winner
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:57 AM

at this point there are no other plans to reload anything but 12 gauge ammo on it...but ya never know
Old 12-09-2020, 01:22 PM

It's snowing real good here now...not an outdoors day.

Put a new scope on the 25.06. Likely won't be able to access my range until late May lol.

Old 12-09-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Cleaned a few cases. Wet tumbled, no pins.

Just curious, why no pins?
Old 12-09-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Just curious, why no pins?
So I don’t have to deal with separating them

-Billy Molls