Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-24-2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Yes I get 2386 fps with Hornady black 123gr eld-m from Ruger American ranch 16.1” barrel and my cz 527 American did 2552 fps stock with its 23.5” barrel, and then with a 24” proof carbon barrel (they are hand lapped) I got 2605 fps out of that, my 20” Howa mini was around 2500 fps
What kind of groupings were you getting with the 16? Did you do any shooting out to 300?

Did the CZ end up selling?
Old 01-25-2021, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Impact View Post
What kind of groupings were you getting with the 16? Did you do any shooting out to 300?

Did the CZ end up selling?
after a similar break in to proof barrel breakin, shoot 3, clean, shoot 3 clean, shoot 5 clean (i just did 4 in the middle with the ruger)...my first two on paper at 200 yards were almost touching, it shoots 1/2 moa to 1 moa all the way out to 500 yards so far in my hands, accuracy is not an issue with the ruger americans, you can look around, they have a great reputation for accuracy...the 1/2 moa groups are when i'm doing my part, the 1 moa groups also reflect me doing my part...it's just typical shooting for me, i will go back to back between these 3 shot group sizes in field conditions which is all i shoot, my ranges are out in the field laying down over caldwell tackdriver, sometimes i set up a folding table/chair and use the same front bag, or a bipod...it will shoot as good as you can shoot imo, that's what it does for me, the cz was the same after proof barrel, it was more 3/4 to 1 1/4 moa for 3 shot groups with that factory ammo on the factory barrel, the howa maybe a touch more accurate in my hands, a little easier to seem more of the 1/2 to 3/4 moa groups not really going up to 1 moa

the cz sold, i have one howa i'm doing custom on, and now have 3 rugers one for myself and two sons...i like the utility of the little rugers a lot, next favorite would be the cz, the howa's are a money pit as the only good part of them is the action and barrel, the rest of them is garbage
Old 01-25-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
after a similar break in to proof barrel breakin, shoot 3, clean, shoot 3 clean, shoot 5 clean (i just did 4 in the middle with the ruger)...my first two on paper at 200 yards were almost touching, it shoots 1/2 moa to 1 moa all the way out to 500 yards so far in my hands, accuracy is not an issue with the ruger americans, you can look around, they have a great reputation for accuracy...the 1/2 moa groups are when i'm doing my part, the 1 moa groups also reflect me doing my part...it's just typical shooting for me, i will go back to back between these 3 shot group sizes in field conditions which is all i shoot, my ranges are out in the field laying down over caldwell tackdriver, sometimes i set up a folding table/chair and use the same front bag, or a bipod...it will shoot as good as you can shoot imo, that's what it does for me, the cz was the same after proof barrel, it was more 3/4 to 1 1/4 moa for 3 shot groups with that factory ammo on the factory barrel, the howa maybe a touch more accurate in my hands, a little easier to seem more of the 1/2 to 3/4 moa groups not really going up to 1 moa

the cz sold, i have one howa i'm doing custom on, and now have 3 rugers one for myself and two sons...i like the utility of the little rugers a lot, next favorite would be the cz, the howa's are a money pit as the only good part of them is the action and barrel, the rest of them is garbage
Thank you for your input and opinion!
Old 02-06-2022, 04:04 PM

Any new updates on 6.5 Grendel shooters - rifles etc . RJ
Old 02-06-2022, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
Any new updates on 6.5 Grendel shooters - rifles etc . RJ
Well RJ, Stinky is off to banned camp so I’d suspect updates will be fewer and farther between.

It was kind of like listening to Bubba Gump talking about shrimp anyways….
Old 02-06-2022, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post

Jeezus man I almost spit my food out

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Well RJ, Stinky is off to banned camp so I’d suspect updates will be fewer and farther between.

Post of the day right there!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-06-2022, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:

Hahhahahaha
Old 02-06-2022, 09:53 PM

LMFFAO ! RJ
Old 02-07-2022, 12:08 AM

I am still confused as to why all the hate?? All I suggested was that the 6.5 Grendel still has the widely accepted number of 1100 FPS of energy at 300 yds. So does the 6.5 Creedmoor and a multitude of other high efficient cartridges.

The fact that a 6mmBR produces nearly the same muzzle velocity as a .243 but does it using 20grs. less powder is irrelevant. The fact that the 6.5 Grendel does nearly or better then the anemic factory loads produced for the 6.5x55 swede is also irrelevant, it just that the swede again, uses more powder to achieve the same end.
Don't get me wrong, with reloads the Grendel is a sad memory in the rear view mirror with my 6.5x55. and the Creedmoor struggles to keep up but both cartridges do so using much less powder.

If you wish to hunt with either a .303 or a 45-70, a Grendel, Creedmoor, 6.5x55 or any other cartridge. As the Booze commercial on TV says "Know your limits".
Progress in the shooting world has progressed a great deal in the last ten years, probably more, then in the last hundred years and a lot of it is due to the fact that people have access to better brass, better bullets, and frankly better barrels and optics. The rising interest in long range or ELR shooting will push all aspects of interior ballistics through the proverbial roof in the future. . And that is good for all shooters.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:40 AM

The hate has more to do with certain people telling everybody else they meet that the 6.5 Grendel can replace every other mid game cartridge designed ( and many of the larger big game cartridges ) and that anybody that does not shoot a Grendel needs to be schooled about this because we have all been wrong for not using one. It's a magic cartridge.
Come to think of it, much like the 6.5 Creedmoor fan club Morons who think it us better than anything else!
It's a bloody 6.5 small capacity cartridge, period .
It ain't as special as some try to make it out to be .
Cat
Old 02-07-2022, 07:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I am still confused as to why all the hate?? All I suggested was that the 6.5 Grendel still has the widely accepted number of 1100 FPS of energy at 300 yds. So does the 6.5 Creedmoor and a multitude of other high efficient cartridges.

The fact that a 6mmBR produces nearly the same muzzle velocity as a .243 but does it using 20grs. less powder is irrelevant. The fact that the 6.5 Grendel does nearly or better then the anemic factory loads produced for the 6.5x55 swede is also irrelevant, it just that the swede again, uses more powder to achieve the same end.
Don't get me wrong, with reloads the Grendel is a sad memory in the rear view mirror with my 6.5x55. and the Creedmoor struggles to keep up but both cartridges do so using much less powder.

If you wish to hunt with either a .303 or a 45-70, a Grendel, Creedmoor, 6.5x55 or any other cartridge. As the Booze commercial on TV says "Know your limits".
Progress in the shooting world has progressed a great deal in the last ten years, probably more, then in the last hundred years and a lot of it is due to the fact that people have access to better brass, better bullets, and frankly better barrels and optics. The rising interest in long range or ELR shooting will push all aspects of interior ballistics through the proverbial roof in the future. . And that is good for all shooters.
FPS is speed
Ft/lb is energy

The grendel pushes the lower limit of the spectrum, and Im not sure why anyone would want to do that on purpose?
The grendel gives up 300-400 fps to the creedmoor
The creedmoor gives up 300 fps vs the prc/6.5x284
The prc gives up 300-400 vs the 26 nosler/ 6.5300wby

Ive killed a bunch of animals with the 26 nosler, it works awesome
Killed a pile with the 6.5x284 works great, not as dramatic as the 26 though
Shot a bunch with the creed, it can work but noticeably lower terminal response
Sold the creed
No plan to buy a grendel

I did however buy a 6gt and a 22 creed... Why?
Because both of these mimic the trajectory of my larger rifles
I can get a higher round count out of the barrel
They should both be awesome for predators
They should be super accurate for practicing
Use less powder, cheaper to reload blah blah blah

Id take either one of those hunting for deer or antelope vs the grendel
Velocity is the leading factor that drives expansion
And in my opinion the grendel just doesn't push a bullet fast enough
Old 02-07-2022, 07:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The hate has more to do with certain people telling everybody else they meet that the 6.5 Grendel can replace every other mid game cartridge designed ( and many of the larger big game cartridges ) and that anybody that does not shoot a Grendel needs to be schooled about this because we have all been wrong for not using one. It's a magic cartridge.
Come to think of it, much like the 6.5 Creedmoor fan club Morons who think it us better than anything else!
Cat
This too lol
Old 02-07-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
FPS is speed
Ft/lb is energy

The grendel pushes the lower limit of the spectrum, and Im not sure why anyone would want to do that on purpose?
The grendel gives up 300-400 fps to the creedmoor
The creedmoor gives up 300 fps vs the prc/6.5x284
The prc gives up 300-400 vs the 26 nosler/ 6.5300wby

Ive killed a bunch of animals with the 26 nosler, it works awesome
Killed a pile with the 6.5x284 works great, not as dramatic as the 26 though
Shot a bunch with the creed, it can work but noticeably lower terminal response
Sold the creed
No plan to buy a grendel

I did however buy a 6gt and a 22 creed... Why?
Because both of these mimic the trajectory of my larger rifles
I can get a higher round count out of the barrel
They should both be awesome for predators
They should be super accurate for practicing
Use less powder, cheaper to reload blah blah blah

Id take either one of those hunting for deer or antelope vs the grendel
Velocity is the leading factor that drives expansion
And in my opinion the grendel just doesn't push a bullet fast enough
You are correct fps=speed ft/lbs= energy. It was late:

I still think the Grendel and many other rifle are capable of taking game with in there limits.
Speed has it's place but a well placed .375 H&H bullet destroys much less meat then a hyper velocity .22 earsplittenloudenboomer.
All things are relevant. I have tore up mule deer shoulders/ribs with a .260 running super fast. Punched pin holes through coyotes with slower big game bullets, and also pie plate exits using 95gr. bullets traveling at a much faster rate, all from the same rifle.
Matching your cartridge to your target, to the range you intend to shoot at that target, matched with a properly constructed bullet to best do the job all come into play.
I don't own a Grendel yet. I feel it would be a much better choice out in the varmint field then any of my other 6.5 variants. And if a Antelope, WT or Muley, happened to walk out within an acceptable range and I had the proper hunting bullet in my pocket, I would not feel under gunned in any sense of the word.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
You are correct fps=speed ft/lbs= energy. It was late:

I still think the Grendel and many other rifle are capable of taking game with in there limits.
Speed has it's place but a well placed .375 H&H bullet destroys much less meat then a hyper velocity .22 earsplittenloudenboomer.
All things are relevant. I have tore up mule deer shoulders/ribs with a .260 running super fast. Punched pin holes through coyotes with slower big game bullets, and also pie plate exits using 95gr. bullets traveling at a much faster rate, all from the same rifle.
Matching your cartridge to your target, to the range you intend to shoot at that target, matched with a properly constructed bullet to best do the job all come into play.
I don't own a Grendel yet. I feel it would be a much better choice out in the varmint field then any of my other 6.5 variants. And if a Antelope, WT or Muley, happened to walk out within an acceptable range and I had the proper hunting bullet in my pocket, I would not feel under gunned in any sense of the word.
I agree, but the case size of a grendel only allows for the slower side of the spectrum. Your never going to be able to load it fast. You lose the versatility
Old 02-07-2022, 11:38 AM
Banned

That’s just my opinion
If you get one, let everyone know how it works out for you 👍
Old 02-07-2022, 07:23 PM

If left handed Grendel sized actions existed, I’d probably own one as a carbine bolt bush gun similar to what lever action 30-30s are used for but they don’t so I went with a mid sized 6.5 instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I agree, but the case size of a grendel only allows for the slower side of the spectrum. Your never going to be able to load it fast. You lose the versatility
I don't argue your point. And when I do (Buy one) I will let you know how it goes. It will be a dedicated varmint rifle, from wolves to gophers.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't argue your point. And when I do (Buy one) I will let you know how it goes. It will be a dedicated varmint rifle, from wolves to gophers.
Sounds good to me
👍
Old 02-20-2022, 10:00 PM

I have a 6.5 Grendel and a 6.5 CM - 6.5 x 284 Norma - and a 6.5 PRC

The little Grendel is just FUN to shoot 👍😀. RJ
Old 04-05-2022, 10:31 PM

I picked one up last spring as a first rifle for my offspring and she enjoys shooting it, mission accomplished. I used it on a doe last fall, meat is in the freezer. Compared to my 300WM it's a joy to shoot and a pleasure to carry around. Puts holes on paper at 300... I'm not drinking the Grendel Kool-Aid but it fit the bill for what we were looking for and junior loves it. Ammo selection/availability... well maybe just going with a 243/308 would have been a better option.
Old 04-08-2022, 02:33 PM

Default Grendel 6.5, I’m mostly pleased…

Bought a Ruger American Ranch in Grendel 6.5 about a year ago. After some looking and reading seemed to fit my needs. Have a variety of other calibres bigger, smaller. What I wanted was an inexpensive compact rifle that I primarily could toss in the UTV, not be afraid to scratch up, with accurate and repeatable results out to 400 metres for predators and 250-300 for deer size game. Low recoil, compact, easy and inexpensive to reload again seems to fit the bill, especially as we are faced with challenges in regard to loading components.

The fit and finish is not ideal, plastic stock, rough sliding action… I can live with the stock as it just sees abuse. The action, after a few cycles (several hundred) with abrasive paste is now really nice dare I say glass compared to stock!

Did install a Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 with MOA reticle and it’s fine for my needs. Loading has been a learning curve for me which has been excellent, had the gear for years never made time, of which now I have.

Would I do it again Yup, I’m surprised at the accuracy and repeatably for a relatively inexpensive compact UTV rig with such a short barrel. Have on order a ShotMarker system to aid in messing about and refine loads… Gah… down the rabbit hole..

So much fun to blaze away at paper for now and well under an 1” x 5 shot groups at 100 M. Loading component cost with quality pills is at $1.00 a round. Factory loads Hornady Black 123g are about 1.25 x 5 shots @ 100 metres. Hand loads Hornady ELD-M 100g with Reloader 10x 25.4 g of powder and Ogive of 1.80 works wicked. Also Nosler Partition Hunter 100g with IMR8208xbr is wicked too in my pop gun. Just now gonna mess with some CFE 223

The only real downside for me is the fawker is loud and a resonator would be ideal… thanks to the idjgets (Sparkly Sox, Tower climber boy and jag meat), heh probably not gonna happen.
Cheers,
jrc

Last edited by JCart; 04-08-2022 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:08 AM

I have a GREAT shooting load of CFE223 with a CCI450 Sparker and a Barnes 127 LRX now FOR Moose and Elk - Bear ! RJ
Old 04-09-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I have a GREAT shooting load of CFE223 with a CCI450 Sparker and a Barnes 127 LRX now FOR Moose and Elk - Bear ! RJ
Shhh people will be here shortly to debunk you lol
Old 04-09-2022, 09:18 AM

If I didn’t know you RJ I’d think Stinky must have been one of your kids….
Old 04-09-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
Bingo!

A friend bought a 6.5CM that his daughter is going to hunt with, but the 130grfull power loads were a little harsh for her in a light rifle, so we loaded up some reduced loads, and she is very comfortable with the 100gr bullet at 2600fps. In effect, we can match 6.5 Grendel ballistics and similar recoil, but with the option of stepping up to 6.5CM ballistics.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
Shhh people will be here shortly to debunk you lol

Positrac: If I didn’t know you RJ I’d think Stinky must have been one of your kids….

RJ
Old 08-16-2022, 09:51 PM

I just bought up a bunch of Speer 6.5 gr 120 gr Gold Dot bullets . There supposed to Shoot well and Expand well from 6.5 Grendel’s .Any one using them In there 6.5 G rifle ? Hunt and taken any game with them ? Thxs RJ
Old 08-29-2022, 02:21 PM

Default Gold dots

i loaded up 10 gold dots over cfe223 and cc1450 and shot them off - 3 shot groups were 5/8 - 3/4 " ! Great and at 2550 fps - That will work for a DEER ! RJ
Old 08-29-2022, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
i loaded up 10 gold dots over cfe223 and cc1450 and shot them off - 3 shot groups were 5/8 - 3/4 " ! Great and at 2550 fps - That will work for a DEER ! RJ
Only one way to find out