Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-22-2021, 08:00 PM

Default Heckler & Koch SFP9 Experiences

Any past or present owners of the H&K SFP9 series care to comment on their experiences or opinions with this pistol?
Old 01-22-2021, 09:39 PM

We did testing and evaluating on a series of 10 pistols last July. The HK was one of the ones we tested. Was the most expensive of all 10 and probably had the best fit and finish but did not come out as a real contender. Felt real good in the hand, second only to the Walther. Was very accurate and pleasant to shoot. I think what sunk it for us was the initial cost per pistol, the availability and cost of parts, armorer considerations and then things such as holsters and spare magazines etc... for a personal firearm I wouldn’t have any issue owning one once I got past the price.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:27 PM

My cousin has had one for a few years. I’ve shot it again bit. The grip is very comfortable. trigger is decent better then a stock glock trigger but not as good as my SAO sig, but for a striker fired gun it’s good.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:42 PM

as fordtruckin said once you get past the price its a great pistol, have the Glock 17, Berretta 92, Sig 226, Sig P320, HK USP and the SFP9, have shot and used all but the SFP9 extensively in competition,

Pros:
very reliable but then the others are as well
Different grip components to customize to your hand come with the pistol
Ambi mag release (can take a little getting used to but once you do you will never go back to a button)
Ambi slide release
Metal magazines - more positive insertion and ejection than polymer
Great trigger and short reset
Relatively low bore axis hence less muzzle flip
Built tough

Cons
Initial price is high relatively speaking
Can be a challenge finding a holster (I have the Bladetech and got a great price because it wasn't selling at the store)
Magazines are expensive and hard to find
Part availability may be an issue - as an aside I've never had a part failure after approximately 80,000 rounds in my USP with standard 115/124 grain loads

Consider what you are going to use it for, if its for competition take a hard look at one of the P320 models, polymer mags (Glock and USP) tend to stick especially if they get dusty.

Though the Sigs have a higher sight line the P320 having a longer barrel tends to moderate muzzle flip and definitely better than the 226.

I'm going to use SFP9 in competition this year and see if it will be the pistol, I'm leaning towards the P320 for mag/part/accessory cost and availability but will never give up my HKs,

I've shot my USP almost exclusively for the last 16 years or so and never any problems, hence I have faith and confidence in the HK brand, the rest come close and in fairness the P320 is still too young to comment fairly.

Best thing if possible is too handle and shoot it and see for your self, I've been quite impressed with it and but for the mag/parts cost availability potential issue I would commit totally to it.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:41 AM

Thanks to all folks for the great feedback, the comments reinforce my thoughts about the pistol.

Though I haven't had the opportunity to actually fire this model just looking at the build quality and finish really impressed me, the fit in my hand was next to perfect at least in comparison to other models.

The price point isn't the major concern considering the quality, parts maybe, current availability of magazines and accesories well I'm patient so long as I can get them so I'll have to contact a few retailers in the Edmonton region to discuss that aspect.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:52 AM

Its a great pistol, cant go wrong with HK products, I bought my pistol at Barton's in Grande Prairie but see them listed online in a few places. Prophet River would likely be able to bring one in for you, a lot of stores wont look at the HK brand.

Holster was through Al Flahertys but again you can find them here and there, Bladetech and Safariland are pretty much your only choices. As I recall Go-Tenda had them when I was looking.

Extra mag came through Prophet River, Tanner found some back east and brought them in for me. If you are going to go with the SFP9 think about what you intend to do with it and get as many mags as you might want now, save time and trouble later.

Good luck with it and enjoy, it's my favorite and looking forward to doing a lot of shooting with it this year
Old 01-27-2021, 10:21 AM

I ordered a SFP9-SF yesterday from Wolverine, they had a few in stock at the time I ordered and their price was darn good.
I'm certainly looking forward to testing it out.
Again, thanks for all the feedback.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:32 PM

as mentioned, get as many mags now as you think you'll need/want. Seems like over the course of time those buggers keep getting more spendy and difficult to find.

You will enjoy the pistol. Fit and finish is fantastic and of course HK track record. The ergonomics of the pistol is amazing.